Sam Darnold giving Jets what they’ve craved for way too long

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LF911SC, Aug 7, 2019.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

By George Willis August 7, 2019 | 7:24

[​IMG]

Remember when you crossed your fingers and hoped Mark Sanchez wasn’t getting as bad as he looked; or when you prayed Geno Smith might be the Jets’ answer at quarterback before he got punched in the face.

Remember when you hoped to squeeze another good season out of Ryan Fitzpatrick or capture some late magic from Josh McCown? Remember those nights when the Jets quarterback situation kept you up late fearing the worst on Sunday?

When the Jets play the Giants on Thursday night at MetLife Stadium it will be the first time since heading into Sanchez’s second season in 2010 that the Jets aren’t uncertain about their quarterback situation. Thanks to Sam Darnold these aren’t the Same Old Jets.

It’s just the first preseason game, but the Jets look different, they feel different and they act different. For so many years they’ve been built on straw. Whether it was a coach on the hot seat or no real franchise quarterback on the roster or age giving way to injuries, the Jets haven’t been as stable as they are now since those early Rex Ryan years. Give Darnold credit for that.

The third-overall pick in the 2018 draft had a solid rookie season and has followed with a strong training camp. He seems to be clicking with new head coach Adam Gase, who was brought here specifically to develop Darnold into an elite quarterback that can carry the Jets to postseason success.

That journey unofficially begins Thursday night when Gase and Darnold communicate through headsets for the first time under game conditions.

“You just try not to give him too much,” Gase said. “At the same time you want to try to give him a little nugget ever once in a while just to make sure that he understands why you’re calling certain things.”

You know these aren’t the Same Old Jets when it’s the Giants who enter the preseason with quarterback questions. First-round pick Daniel Jones will presumably start the season as the backup to Eli Manning and time will tell whether there’s a point in the season when change will be needed or demanded.

Jones will probably get more attention Thursday night from a Giants home crowd, trying to understand why he was selected with the sixth-overall pick when he might have been available in the second round.

The Jets don’t have to deal with those questions. Darnold won a mock training camp battle with McCown last year to become the starting quarterback. There were growing pains amid a lame-duck year for head coach Todd Bowles, who didn’t have a good enough team to support a rookie quarterback.

But while the Jets went 4-12 and Bowles was fired, Darnold gained valuable experience starting 13 games. He threw 17 touchdowns passes against 15 interceptions. He was sacked 30 times, but should get better protection from an offensive line bolstered by the additions of Kelechi Osemele, Alex Lewis and Ryan Kalil.

Darnold should also benefit from having Gase as his head coach. It’s not ideal for a quarterback to have to learn an entirely new offensive scheme in his second year, but the long-term benefits should be good for Darnold.

“I just have to go out there, execute, do my job and that’s really it,” Darnold said. “Do that to the best of my ability and if I do that, I think I’ll be all right.”

It’s just the first preseason game, but these already aren’t the Same Old Jets. Le’Veon Bell and free-agent linebacker C.J. Mosley are in their primes at 27. Pro Bowl safety Jamal Adams will only get better. The offensive line has plenty of experience; the defense has a mixture of youth and age and should excel under defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. Most importantly, nobody has to cross their fingers about the Jets quarterback anymore.

nycarl and Jets81 like this.
  2. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Pump the brakes I have optimism but I hide it well. I believe we need to just enjoy the ride. Don't over think it we are going to be better then the bowles regime but the question will loom how much?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

At least for now, I'm still going to be holding my breath every time Darnold drops back to pass.

Jets81 likes this.
  4. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. Best I've felt about the QB position since Pennington (before the shoulder).

Sanchez was never accurate. Geno gave us hope for minute, but never looked comfortable or in command. Fitzpatrick played great, and was duct tape at best.

Sam Darnold has:
    - uncanny pocket awareness and timing
    - above average accuracy. more important - the accuracy is maintained when he's on the move and he MAKES plays.
    - above average speed
    - top leadership. humble. likeable. he learns - couple his attitude with his potential and we have someone who will improve and make everyone better
    - the look of a star. Last year, he looked good, especially at season's end, despite a poor OL, a poor RB situation, no WR or TE that commanded a double team ... and poor offensive coaches. Put him on the Sanchez teams and we probably have a super bowl ring.

And with Douglas answering the question that Macagnan didn't even know to ask (how do I protect my QB investment and position him to win) .... we have the offensive foundation in place for the first time since Pennington. And unlike that era, we have a coach with a clue. And unlike the Sanchez era - we have an NFL caliber QB.

5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'll wait until I see him do it in the regular season before I get too giddy.

I'm excited to see what he can do in this new offense with Gase calling the shots.

My hope is this offense resembles Denver's 2013 offense.

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

As a rookie, did you not watch his final 4-5 regular season games just last year? Because he was one of the best.

Wait until the regular season? Hah.

themorey and FJF like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah, every time we play the Giants in preseason, I see Brandon Short closing on Pennington's blindside in slow motion and breaking his hand.

8. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2...day-i-cant-be-giving-him-anything-report.html

Jets QB Sam Darnold refused to wish Tom Brady a happy birthday: ‘I can’t be giving him anything’ (report)
    Updated Aug 7, 3:43 PM; Posted Aug 7, 3:39 PM
    [​IMG]

AP

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, left, and New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold, right (AP Photo/Steven Senne)

212 shares
    By Nick O'Malley | nomalley@masslive.com

What do you get for the player who has everything an NFL player could ever ask for as a birthday present? If it’s the quarterback who’s dominated your division the past 20 years, the answer is apparently “nothing.”

Last week, Yahoo Sports rounded up a number of players across the NFL to wish New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady a happy birthday when he turned 42 on Aug. 3. But when New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold was asked about being a part of it, he reportedly declined.

That in itself isn’t really news. Instead, it’s Darnold reasoning that bears notice.

Talking to Yahoo Sports’ Charles Robinson, Darnold explained what it’s like being an up-and-coming quarterback who’s gunning after player commonly referred to as the G.O.A.T.

According to Robinson, it wasn’t a slight or sign of disrespect. The second-year quarterback says his goal is to compete with Brady, not to be part of a video praising him during before the season starts.

“That’s just it, man – knowing what I’ve got to do,” Darnold said to Robinson. “I’m going to get every competitive edge I can, because he’s going to do the same thing. He’s the ultimate competitor. He’s exactly where I want to be when I’m his age. To chase that, I can’t be giving him anything.”

For reference, here’s the Brady birthday video, which includes players like Kenyan Drake of the Miami Dolphins, Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints and Zach Ertz of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Darnold’s aim reportedly to be openly hostile to the Patriots quarterback. He said he going to remain respectful. But at the same time, he’s not just going to roll over for Brady and his legacy.

“If I see him after a game, I’ll tell him good game and all that stuff," Darnold said. "But I don’t want to give him anything. Especially to him. No.”

The No. 3 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, Darnold is entering his second season with the Jets now as the unquestioned Week 1 starter. In 13 games as a rookie, Darnold went 4-9 (0-1 vs. New England), completing 57.7% of his passes for 220.4 yards per game with a 77.6 passer rating.

Darnold will get his first chance to try to knock off Brady and the Patriots when they go down to MetLife Stadium for a Monday Night Football matchup in Week 7.

rscherwin likes this.
  9. Johnny "Lam" Jones

Johnny "Lam" Jones Active Member

well he did really well in the last two home games vs Texans and the Packers but pretty average against the Pats and Bills on the road.

I have a BIG, HUGE red circle on my 2019 Jets schedule on the September 22nd game on the road v the Pats.

That's Sam's coming out party.

Lam

LF911SC likes this.
  10. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

After coming back from the injury he led the NFL in passing.

How can you not be excited about this kid. And thats it, hes an inexperienced kid

FJF likes this.
  11. Johnny "Lam" Jones

Johnny "Lam" Jones Active Member

Nope first game v the pats is 9/22 in week 3. the reporter needs to get a copy of the NFL schedule.

Allan

LF911SC likes this.
  12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Since 2007 the Pats are 63-1 at home against AFC teams (regular season). The one loss was when Brady was removed at halftime in week 17.

I would say week 7 is Darnold’s first chance to knock off Brady haha

13. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

So the Pats have lost one home game since 2007? That can’t be right.

14. Big Cat

They occasionally lose home games to NFC teams.

15. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

They lost 3 home games in 2008 alone.

Phins, Jets, Steelers.

16. Big Cat

I didn’t go back and check it myself. I was going based off of 2 articles (one from 2015, one from 2016) that list the stat, and they haven’t lost a home game to an AFC team since. Maybe the stat is researched incorrectly, but it’s listed in multiple other articles too so I don’t know how it started spreading.

Since 2007, Brady is 50-1 at home against AFC opponents. His only loss was in a meaningless Week 17 game against the Buffalo Bills, when the Pats had already clinched home-field advantage and Brady was pulled at halftime of an eventual 17-9 defeat.
    (https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/galle...spension-home-record-gillette-patriots-121316)

3. He’s lost just one game at home to an AFC opponent since 2007.
    (To Buffalo in 2014, and that game didn’t even matter; the Pats had already clinched home field advantage).
    (https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.us...-england-patriots-best-ever-afc-opponents/amp)

17. Big Cat

Actually, I realized the problem right after I replied. Brady didn’t play in 2008 and the stat refers to just him. The stat is probably true.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

its actually quite a disgrace and disservice that this team (and really any team) goes this long without the QB position being manned by a capable star.

realize this guys don't grow on trees and circumstances out of your control may happen BUT you really have to get the guy at any cost.

hopefully this is really it for this team.....the fish (marino)....pats (brady)......bills (kelly) have all enjoyed their guy during this modern era. Perhaps we are next.

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Don't be saying stuff like this.

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

try to make things seem legit.