Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams: Two blue chip players to build our Franchise around.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Feb 13, 2020.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

Tom Brady entering free agency and on the verge of leaving N.E has been music to my ears.

A Tom Bradyless division will open up the entire AFC East division for the first time in a really long time.

From there, it's anyone's game; and you couldn't ask for two better building blocks (for a consistent chance at the divisional crown) than Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams. Two Franchise players within the form of a Franchise caliber Quarterback (in order to build our Offense around) along with a generational Safety and potential HOF animal (in order to build our Defense around).

Yes. Sam Darnold needs an improved Offensive Line in order to flourish and show his true ability as an exciting Quarterback moving forward; he's still a baby.

Yes. Jamal Adams needs improved CB's and an outside pass rushing force in order to truly dominate and become an unstoppable force moving forward; he's yet to reach maximum potential.

Together Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams are just now getting started as an NFL duo and teammates. They've yet to reach full potential. They're still developing, learning and improving. In other words what I'm attempting to say, is that the best of Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams as Jets; have yet to come.

Can you imagine Sam Darnold as our signal caller behind a strong offensive line? Can you imagine Jamal Adams if we continue to improve the talent on our defensive unit under Gregg Williams? Good God.

Really fun times are around the corner for us as Jet fans and Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams are going to ignite our fan base to the point of New Yorkers and New Jersey natives turning MetLife into a Seattle, K.C or Green Bay type of environment with a true home field advantage. It's kind of hard to be excited while losing but with both Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams here, things will soon change.

#1 DefenseWinsChampionships, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Mr mittens likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Do you not want to temper your support of Darnold with just a bit of a realistic approach which requires him to improve his game regardless of his supporting cat? Is nothing he has shown room for improvement in during the past two years his own responsibility?

Jets69 likes this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Let Sam play a full 16 game season first.

On the other hand Jamal is great but his position isn’t one of the premier positions for a team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Pump the brakes a bit.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I agree, we should sign this beast. Runs routes better than any of our current receivers.

[​IMG]

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

You can not lump Jamal Adams with other positional Safety's. Jamal Adams is a pro Bowler and an All-Pro. And All-Pro Safety's can help lead their defenses to Super Bowl's.

I'm a die hard fan of the defensive side of the ball and outside of Revis, #33 is the best I've seen and by far the most all around versatile.

He's not "just a Safety". Maybe other NFL players are "just safeties" but Jamal Adams isn't one of them. He can do it all, and whatever is asked of him, he's up for the challenge. With all due respect Brook, he's not just a Safety as you have labeld him.

He almost set an NFL single season record for sacks from the CB/Safety/defensive backfield secondary position(s); we've as a franchise have begged for some type of pass rush, and here he is... he's able to rush the Quarterback with a relentless effort from either right up the middle, from the outside or on a delayed stunt. He gets after the QB.

He's able to play within the front 7 as an OLB would while not only stuffing and smelling out the run but he also finishes off plays behind the Line of Scrimmage. No Secondary NFL player roams the entire field quite like our very own Jamal Adams does.

He's been used at times @ outside CB as well. He's lined up over opposing quicker slot receivers and matches them with physically, aggression and strength. He's lined up against opposite pass catching TE's while roaming the middle of the field. And when playing opposite of Marcus Maye in standard cover two as a deep Safety it's been rare that we've been burned on 50-60-70-80 yard bombs as in years past.

You see. He can get after the QB. Sniff out the run. A relentless closing ability to be around the ball. Plays all over the secondary. Roams the front 7. All-Pro status. What Jamal Adams is able to do, I'm sorry but it's way more destructive than "just an OLB" who rushes the Quarterback (in which we've all craved for) on other words, I wouldn't trade Jamal Adams for our Jets version of John Abraham. No way. Adams ain't missing no playoff game unless he's in a wheelchair.

He also plays the game with the type of fire, hunger and passion that we all screamed at Kerry Rhodes, for not playing with. He's an off the field leader and unlike #24 Revis; #33 Adams is heavily involved in our off-season free agency recruiting process. He's the type of defensive leader where it's to the point of an insult to continue labeling him as "just a Safety".

M. Hooker was never within the same stratosphere as Jamal Adams coming out of LSU and since being drafted 6th overall Jamal Adams has made a name for himself after only 3 years of developing! He's special Brook and can not be replaced.

Mr mittens and NFLDayspast like this.
  7. DefenseWinsChampionships

He was one of the youngest NFL starting QB's within NFL history All-Time so of course, after only two seasons of developmental experience he's got plenty of room for development, growth and improvement.

Regardless of supporting cast? Um. Sam Darnold has been Quarterbacking for two consecutive years behind, historically speaking; some of the worst offensive lines within the history of the game. His GM in Maccagnan was fired because of it too. And he's survived. It's a miracle how he has not been destroyed both physically and mentally. Our offensive line has been so bad, to the point that not even an All-time and future HOF RB who ranks top 1-2 All-Time in offensive yards from scrimmage in Le'Veon Bell (who I screamed for in order to help Darnold) can not even find himself any open running lanes, despite having elite patience and field vision; because there are and have been none, but yet you have the nerve to talk about a "realistic approach" regardless of supporting cast? That's hypocritical type of hypocrite criticism at it's finest hour.

Mark Sanchez was drafted into an O-Line featuring a brick of gold in D'Brickishaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold along with seasoned veterans while coming out of USC and drafted high; and he still was not built for success - Sam Darnold on the other hand has been drafted into O-Line(s) featuring absolute shit since being drafted high coming out of USC consisting of some of the worst makeshift offensive lines this league has ever seen historically speaking; and he's shown me he's built for long-term success despite being surrounded by awful circumstances and difficult situations.

Mark Sanchez' first 2 years:

31 games.
    19-12 record.

474/871 (54.4% completion percentage).

5,735 passing yards (185 yards per game and 6.5 yards per pass attempt).

29 TD's/33 INT's.

Sacked 53 times (sacked 1.7 times per game). 19 fumbles.

Three 4th Quarter Comebacks & 5 game winning drives.

QB Rating of 69.1.

If only Sam Darnold would've been blessed and protected by a Mark Sanchez type of O-Line, Sam Darnold could've found himself in two AFC Championship Games as well.

Sam Darnold's first 2 years:

26 games.
    11-15 record.

512/855 (59.9% completion percentage).

Sam Darnold reached over 60% completion percentage (61.9%) during only his 2nd year, in comparison to Mark Sanchez who couldn't do it once during his first and only 4 years as a Jet.

5,889 passing yards (226 yards per game and 6.8 yards per pass attempt).

Darnold has thrown for more passing yards than Sanchez did, despite Darnold playing in 5 fewer games along with less amount of passing attempts than Sanchez.

36 TD's/28 INT's.

Sam Darnold has a + TD to INT Ratio unlike Mark Sanchez who consistently lived in the - TD/INT Ratio.

Sacked 63 times (sacked 2.4 times per game). 16 fumbles.

Three 4th Quarter Comebacks and 4 game winning drives.

QB Rating of 81.1.

Yes. Mark Sanchez is a crap example. But Sam Darnold has had crap O-Lineman while as Mark Sanchez didn't.

Sam Darnold also improved upon his rookie season within just about every Quarterbacking statistics category. Something certain fans aren't talking about.

Rookie Season: 13 games. 4-9 record. 239/414 (57.7%). 2,865 passing yards. 220 passing yards per game. Long of 76 yards. 6.1 yards per pass attempt. 17 TD's/15 INT's. One 4th quarter comeback and 1 game winning drive.
    QB Rating of 77.6.

Second Season: 13 games. 7-6 record. 273/441 (61.9%). 3,024 passing yards. 232.6 passing yards per game. Long of 92 yards. 6.4 yards per pass attempt. 19 TD's/13 INT's. Two 4th Quarter Comebacks and Three game winning drives.
    QB Rating of 83.4.

If Sam Darnold continues to improve @ this rate (despite horrific offensive line play) he's going to put up some really solid numbers during year #3 come next season; and if it's behind an improved Joe Douglas offensive line his statistical numbers will then skyrocket during his improvement.

I've seen enough out of Sam Darnold to know that he's our Franchise Quarterback and signal caller to build our offense and team around through both Free Agency and the draft and the same exact thought process applies to Jamal Adams; two cornerstone players on both offense and defense; and that's not something to be overlooked moving forward.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

I've pumped my breaks for long enough. Our fan base has been forced to pump our breaks for 20 years. Well now that Tom Brady is leaving New England as an up and coming Free Agent? The AFC East Division will be left wide open for the taking. The breaks are done being pumped because there's a new era of Jets football on the horizon and we're going to be lead by two up and coming Franchise Caliber players in Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams. For building blocks? It doesn't get too much better than that. Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams are going to bring us consistent years of enjoyment.

9. Ralebird

I'll take that as a "no."

Jets69 and dawinner127 like this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

The truth hurts. I'll take that (what I've posted above) as the Truth.

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold still has a ton to prove.

Jamal Adams does not play a position that you really build around. He's an amazing piece to the puzzle, great leader, but I wouldn't call him someone you would/should build around.

ColoradoContrails and Jets69 like this.
  12. Ralebird

Except that where you see Darnold is not a "truth," it is an opinion. We shall see if it is warranted.

13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I see pre-season has begun.

The VLT is ours.

FJF likes this.
  14. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

We don't need to know what you did on vacation for the last 20 years.

15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Better not tell the other 31 teams about these two all world studs. I'm sure they'll all be running for cover.

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

I guess you'd be more happy with Hackenberg and Kerry Rhodes? lol. Tools.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I didn’t read the o.p. I have a pretty good idea what he is spouting off about though. He can include Mcshay as an ally here.

Mr mittens likes this.
  18. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Jamal is going to be traded imo. We have way too many holes and if I can get a blue chip offensive lineman, a stud at wr and some additional depth from that trade, I would take that any day.

Plus you would have to pay him big money and that is not really Douglas's philosophy.

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Once SD learns to look for & use his secondary receivers more often he may turn into a FQB until then he is a long way of being another brady:mad:

As For Jamal have U heard of any player who plays his position lead his team to a SB? :mad:

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Joe Douglas has never been a gm before. To say anything is his philosophy is making up what you want to believe.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.