Saleh Interview - TMKS

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 8, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

This has been making the rounds here (well a 1 min clip of the 12 min interview) about siamian playing over zach. I watched the whole thing and its taken greatly out of context because MK kept asking the same thing over and over trying to bait him. here are the highlights of things he actually said. I'd recommend people watching the whole interview and not a clip of less then 10% of it taken out of context for

1) anytime after a loss the HC, playcaller, and QB take the most heat
    2) when asked what did he see in zach on why he still starts him that MK doesn't see. its our job to look at the all-22 and see the reasons why. you watch the film and go "the kid didn't play too bad" is there areas he could improve sure, he made some mistakes. the players around him could have done better too. there are times when you look at the all-22 and go this kid doesn't have it, but thats not the case here.
    3) said last years benching for mike white was different. he did it to save zach. said that zach lost confidence and you could see it in the meetings, practices, etc. and games and putting him out there just makes it worse. that isn't the case this year.
    4) it's frustrating not having any continuity on offense for 3 years (aka too many injuries and players having to be moved around to make up for it)
    5) it's natural for players to be frustrated but they still support each other. Hasn't been any fracturing in the locker room. (in regards to the defense getting frustrated at the offense)
    6) yesterday was embarassing. it wasn't good enough. you want to be in position to win in the 4th and outside of the dallas game this was the only game we weren't there
    7) need to find solutions and put our guys in position to win
    8) the "plead the 5th" comment was followed up by with I already answered it. (saleh did answer the same question multiple times that MK just kept phrasing a different way)
    9) zachs teammates support him. they see the work he's put in and the practices and they recognize the issue isn't just him. he didn't have that last year. internally the feeling for zach is different then externally.
    10) I do believe zach gives us the best chance to win. its not easy with all the injuries and shifting around the o-line each week

2. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

He also answered multiple times “that’s a fair question” when asked about benching Zach/putting in Simien, so let’s not gloss over the fact that this wasn’t Saleh effusively praising his quarterback.

3. GasedAndConfused

because like he said earlier he already knows in a loss like this that the heat is on the QB, HC, and play caller from the fans everytime.
    it's basically saying fans are idiots but he can't say that so he gives the respectful answer

4. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

If he thinks the fans are idiots because they don’t want a qb who can’t make a decision fast enough to be a quarterback then he shouldn’t be a coach.

SOJAZ and Jets69 like this.
  5. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

I know it's not the reason you posted and summarized (thanks BTW) but this comment is problematic to me. Basically this is a HC rationalizing that having no chance to win in the 4th quarter in 25% of his team's games is OK.
    It suggests that "keep it close until the 4th" might be the overall mindset, which may help explain why the Jets get dramatically outscored early in games and seem to enter games pretty tentatively-- particularly on offense.

REVISion and BrowningNagle like this.
  6. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Excluding you, I presume?

The_Darksider likes this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

of course

8. GasedAndConfused

excluding anyone who understands the whole situation sucks and it's not all on 1 player.

9. HackettSuxTNG

I for one am truly grateful that this board is graced with the presence of someone so omnipotent who can unilaterally decide what qualifies as idiocy.

Centiment and SOJAZ like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

it's understanding that he's a backup QB and our best option even if he isn't good. it's not madden, you can't just add a QB off the street and be better
    he's not saying it's ok, he's saying we've had a chance to win all but 2 games this year when the 4th quarter rolled around. I do agree though his keep it close until the 4th mentality is not good though

11. GasedAndConfused

I wasn't the one who made the comment. go yell at saleh then and tell him he's an idiot lol

12. HackettSuxTNG

You were the one kind enough to unilaterally translate his words into a unquestionable endorsement of your opinion.

Centiment, Jets81, Ralebird and 4 others like this.
  13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah, the coaching staff has basically explicitly said that this is the mindset. It's a completely backwards mentality.

It's also a close cousin of Hackett's "we have to get to 3rd and manageable" mindset - another backwards mentality. The goal should be to not even get to 3rd down. The goal should be to get a first down on 1st and 2nd down as often as possible. That's what the good teams do. They don't set out to get to 3rd and <4, they set out to avoid 3rd down entirely.

Our coaches are antiquated thinkers.

sozopol and SOJAZ like this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I really don't get this attitude. No one is saying it's all on 1 player, but the fact of the matter is that the QB, OC, and HC are indeed largely responsible for how the team does. It 100% makes sense to focus our ire on those parties, because those parties have an outsized impact on how the team performs, and our QB and OC especially have been glaring weak spots.

15. GasedAndConfused

I actually didn't or take any sides. He said the film shows different and zach gives him the best chance to win and that fans always blame the QB, HC, and play caller so take what you will from that

16. GasedAndConfused

literally just proving saleh right though.

17. HackettSuxTNG

No, he said "The Kid didn't play too bad". You somehow interpret that as Zach Wilson is a competent NFL Quarterback.

Those are not equivalent statements,

Jets69 likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

listen to the whole thing. at the end he said zach gives us the best chance to win.
    and didn't play too bad is pretty fair. i'd agree with that. I didn't think he was good by any means. but he wasn't awful as some fans seem to think

19. HackettSuxTNG

Its hard to me to accept that Zach Wilson gives the Jets the best opportunity to win when the alternative is a completely unknown entity.

tomdeb and SOJAZ like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

it's not unknown. boyle and siamian have both been around the league for quite some time. they are a very known quantity