Saleh admits to terrible planning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Yankee6, Nov 21, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

like saleh said. worse case scenerio is zach comes in for 2-3 games during the season and really he would have been fine with that. He didn't play awful when he had a decent o-line and run game to help. the bigger issue we have is the fact in 11 games we've had 8 different starting o-line combinations and 13 combinations total (both lead the NFL) we can't have any consistency on the line. add on to no real WRs outside of GW, and hacketts ass play calling there isn't a QB avilable that would succeed here unless it's a mahomes/allen type that can just do things mostly on their own.

Jets79 and cval like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

well in hindsight it was worse. and I don't even fully blame boyle. he is what he is. he's in the same situation zach was in. nobody is going to succeed in it.

3. GasedAndConfused

it's not fun for me to watch a QB that can't throw a ball personally

dmw likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

We've watched way more then 3 years. in the past 25 years I can think of maybe 3 seasons our offense was decent. 2002 chad for 75% of the year, 2008 for half a year with favre until his arm fell off, and 2015 with fitz.
    boyle was way less entertaining. zachj is awful but at leats he had the shot at a wow play or 2 each game. boyle is all the bad of zach with no real upside.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

he is literally the only one and even then they had an elite D, elite o-line and best coach in history. he also wasn't "brady" that early in his career and caught a lot of breaks (that even led to rule changes)

6. GasedAndConfused

the fact you have to go that far back only proves the point. it was much less of a QB league back then. hasn't happened in the last 20 years

7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I know this might be a crazy request, but could the Jets still sign a decent QB? Are there any left that are just sitting on the beach? I don't think Douglas would sign them anyway given his track record this season, but at least it would give me some hope. Every game is winnable by the Jets if they have an average QB. That's what makes this season SO FRUSTRATING! If they just had a decent backup, they could be competing for the playoffs right now.

8. GasedAndConfused

issues are deeper then just a QB. steelers and browns are getting shit QB play in a tough division and are winning still. O-line, injuries, WR group, OC are all major issues right now. unless the QB coming in is mahomes it aint going to help

ColoradoContrails and dmw like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And cheating, don't forget that.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  10. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

You really don't know what the game was like do you? When Unitas played, QB's called the game on the field. It was their responsibility to call and scheme the offense on the field. The only contemporary QB to do that, Tom Brady. So the loss of a starting QB was much more detrimental to the teams success. How much are you paid?

11. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

Weak a** reply.

12. GasedAndConfused

I mean I didn't watch him live lol but it was much less of a passing league. DBs could maul the WRs and it was legal. the game was bigger and less speed. we barely threw the ball in our SB win. the whole game was different and not really comparable to what it is today

13. GasedAndConfused

at least mine was more then 3 words

14. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

And you keep defending a historically bad GM. You know, the person responsible for the manner and fashion of how a team performs. The one who took this team to expansion franchise status, by his BRILLIANT and NOT EVER IMITATED scheme to dismantle the entire team, without thinking what could go wrong. You really don't know how to judge a bad GM. 1/3 = offense. JD grades at F, 1/3 special teams. JD grades at D+ 1/3 defense. JD grades at B, because when he absolutely needed to draft an NFL caliber offensive tackle, he drafted a player who doesn't start. 0 + 2 + 3 = 5 out of a possible 4 + 4 + 4 = 12. If a GM that hovers around the bottom half of the leagues GMs is who you think is good it explains the product on the field.

15. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

There's a lot that can go on in between not bothering trying and winning the Super Bowl. Building the confidence of your young team, making a run at a playoff spot, and countless other things. The worst possible thing any company can do is favor one guy over everybody else and then tell everybody else that once that guy is gone, they are going back to the drawing board.

Just awful.

Ralebird likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

the GM is responsible for building a roster. the coach is responsible for how the team performs. thats why a GM can fire a coach if he feels he isn't utilizing the talent he brought in.

17. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

And your point???? The product on the field IS what the GM put there. HC was his hire. Do you want an explanation of that as well? Joseph Douglas sucks as a GM. That's why there is no improvement from the Mccagnan and Idzik eras. When a GM chooses to turn the franchise into an expansion team (without the benefit of an expansion draft), and then f*cks up the rebuild because he doesn't know how to draft and evaluate talent, his chosen HC is starting his tenure handicapped. And that's why I call St. Joe incompetent. Any good GM knows that starting from nothing is not a good idea. Otherwise, every organization, in the league where imitation is king, would adopt the destroy and rebuild because it's SOOOOOOOOOOO Easy. Yet I don't see a rush of GMs following his lead.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The coach does not get a pass on which players are on the roster.

If you look at our draft history when we had former defensive coordinators you will see that we took a greater number of defensive players in the first round of the draft.

Do you really absolve our coaches for any blame when we used four consecutive first round picks to select defensive tackles?

Do you really think that the general manager doesn't consult his coach on which groceries that coach believes he needs to win games?

On most teams the general manager does have the final say but to think that he ignores any input from his coaches is naive.

On our team we also have our meddlesome owner who does not have a good track record for making football decisions.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

no improvement? on offense sure but special teams and defense is much improved. and the offense has suffered so many injuries it's hard to judge them fairly.

20. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

Please understand, the only criteria for judging a GM's success is how the NFL defines it........ wins and losses. I can't file an appeal to the NFL because we're better than our record says we are. Everything else, doesn't matter. That's a precarious job, to be a coach, or GM that claims they're good but the record says something else. But they signed up for the job.