Sal Paolantonio: Jets fielding offers for picks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NEJets, Apr 24, 2013.

1. NEJets

NEJets Member

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...t-new-york-jets-rule-picking-qb-taking-offers
    New York Jets general manager John Idzik said Wednesday that his team would "not be averse" to picking any player, including a quarterback, in the first round, but that the team had already been fielding telephone calls from other teams looking to move up.

"I think the real substantive talks will come tomorrow," he said. "I think we're in a position at No. 9 and No. 13 in the first round to get two really good players, but it also opens up the gates for potential alternatives, potentially trading down and picking up more players. We'll be open minded about it. This is a very deep draft."

Idzik said the Jets' first-round draft decisions will not be dictated by need, but by "the talent available when we pick."

Asked if the Jets would pick a quarterback in the first round, Idzik said he would not talk about specific players or positions, but "we would not be averse to picking any player if our evaluation determines that is the best talent available when we pick."

The quarterback the Jets have shown the most interest in during their draft preparations is Ryan Nassib of Syracuse. New offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg has met with Nassib and worked him out personally, believing Nassib is best suited for the short passing game of the West Coast offense that Mornhinweg is installing.

The Buffalo Bills, who pick eighth in the first round, are said to be concerned that if they move down to take Nassib later in the first round they will miss out because the Jets will take him first.

Veteran Mark Sanchez, who had 26 turnovers for the second straight season last year, is in the final year of his contract in which he will receive guaranteed money. The Jets owe Sanchez, who is signed through 2016, $8.25 million guaranteed in 2013.

#1 NEJets, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'm glad our GM gives vague, cliche'd answers to the media like a GM should. We owe them nothing.

3. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Exactly. They are regurgitators. If you tell them the truth they will chew it up and spit it out in a different form. Tell them nothing and there is nothing to chew.

4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

he is telling them enough of nothing to keep them off his ass. pretty smart move if you tell me. a little bit of juice but nothing specific.

i think he is being truthful though. i think he really will go bpa and will put together a solid draft... yes im sunshiney right now!!!

just so long as we dont draft geno smith... if we draft geno smith especially at the 9 im going to be pissed.

5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

as expected. we are rebuilding, we only have 8 picks this year. it's a smart move.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Trading down on both picks, getting Cooper in the mid 20's. Getting a QB in the late 1st, early 2nd. Getting a TE on the 39. Filling a lot of holes the rest of the way. There are a lot of very savvy build moves the Jets could make without making any major splash at all this year. Just getting things set for the big draft next year while giving Rex a fighting chance at an upside season this year.

That's kind of how 2006 went although the Jets then went back into a hole in 2007 because they went back to the cherry-picking. Took a huge free agent splurge in 2008 to dig themselves out of that one.

7. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Cooper isn't falling to the mid 20's.

8. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

No such thing as rebuilding in today's NFL. It's just re-tooling, every roster has heavy turnover every year.

9. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Don't bother. I've tried explaingin this and some people (Not any poster in particular) just don't understand today's NFL...

They'd rather have 22 draft picks starting...

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Agreed. NFL means Not For Long.

11. alleycat9

it is difficult to build a team through free agency, it is pertinent to build your team through the draft.

as quickly as things turn over these days it is still terribly important to draft well.

12. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

You need to keep drafting well. That's how you create and maintain success.

13. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Well its rebuilding until you find a franchise QB then from there on its always retooling.

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Sounds good to me. I'm all about trading down. Keep the #9, trade the #13 for a bunch of others. I'm excited. This is the opposite of Tanny, making big trades every other year and losing picks. This time we get more and draft more young talent.

Now that I said this, the Jets will probably end up trading both #1s up to get the #1 overall and get Geno Smith. :eek:hmy:

#14 Barcs, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  15. alleycat9

im really fired up for the draft this year... something just feels good about it!

16. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

For some unfounded reason, I too share the same auspicious feeling.

Second thought, We have the 9th and 13th overall picks in the draft, that's not too unfounded.

17. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

If championjets starts putting a happy face at the end of his posts, we'll have a dynasty.

18. Mr Krinkle

Mr Krinkle Banned

We are not rebuilding, we are reloading.

19. Ted

Ted Member

Trading down would certainly help fill holes in a deep draft. If they stay, I wouldn't be surprised if the picks are some combination of Milliner, Austin, Eifert and Jordan.

20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I've seen the arguments flying around that there's no such thing as a rebuild anymore but in the case of the Jets the perfect rebuild storm is occurring right now.

1) New GM
    2) Cut a good portion of the roster to eliminate bloated salaries and aging veterans
    3) Trade a star player for additional draft picks to bolster the roster
    4) A team currently lacking an identity
    5) A roster needing talent everywhere

When you factor all of this together, this is as close to a modern NFL rebuild as you can possibly get. Idzik is not being expected to the keep the ship on course, he's being expected to tear it down and build it back up. That's hardly a reload.