running and passing game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by red75bronco, Oct 15, 2007.

1. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Watching the game today, I felt that our passing game and running game do not complement each other at all, and I am not and don't want to talk about he QB but about the schemes.

We finally put in a FB and brought the TE in and had success running the ball. We had a few plays off PA that seemed pretty good, but when it came down to it, we went 4 wide outs and the formation was very predictable on the passing plays. It is like we have one set of schemes for our passing game and another for the running game, but they do not build of eachother.

I don't know if anyone else feels the same or not.

Again, I am only talking about the schemes and not who the QB is, that is irrelevant.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Actually I think who the QB is is completely relevant. I completely agree with your point but for a different reason than you. I think that reason is exactly what you pointed out... who the QB is.

Honestly it makes sense in theory why they would run the offense the way they do. It is meant to confuse and disrupt defenses. The problem with our scheme is that the defensive coordinator on the opposing defense just has to tell his players "Ok, sit tight, only cover about 5-10 yards back, and don't do anything stupid." and that is sufficient to stop our entire offense. This is because of who our QB is.

The problem with the scheme is that it threatens no one. Unfortunately, I don't think changing the scheme will help very much... however changing the QB will.

3. red75bronco

What about the playaction and throw to Cotch, we need to do more of this. This is just fundamental football, but we seem to be to cute with our play calling. If I remember right, Chad was never in shotgun until 2005. It has been bad since. The running game has stunk and the passing game actually got more conservative dink and dunk. I like the playcalling in the 1st half.

I don't think Aikman ever took a snap in shotgun.

4. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

It was pretty clear sunday we were running the rock very well just couldnt pass to save our lives....Pennington couldnt get it done again.

5. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

I hate all these people (analysts) last week who said Chad Pennington just needs a running game to be successful. He got it and he still lost. Chad has crippled this team and destroyed almost all hope for this season.

6. red75bronco

What pass plays were called off the running game. I think there was the roll outs, a couple fades and a playaction to cotchery. Other than that when we passed, it was out of a non running formation. The same thing with the 4th down play, at least make the defense defend the run. This is what I am talking about. The running game and passing game do not complement each other in the current schemes. Blame Chad for the lack of a passing game in when we could run, but tell me which WR he was suppose to through to that he didn't and what was he suppose to make happen when there was coverage. I loved the play to cotch for 26 yards. These are the kind of plays you get off play action. Play action is not for the corners, it is for the safeties, so when you throw the fade or outside, you do not complement the running game. When you run the ball as good as we did in the 1st half, you have to run crossing routes and posts across the middle not fades and outs. I haven't heard that Chad was changing all the plays, so this is on Shot.

Again, with on the plays we called in the 1st half when the running game was working, what throws did Chad miss where we had chances to gain yards. I don't like the play calling or schemes, they have no rythm to them.

7. zoobooz

zoobooz Member

Personally, I get panicky anytime I see Chad throw knowing full well it could be 6 going the other way. I definitely don't want the floaters over the middle - and besides, every duck puts Cotch and Coles at risk of being steamrolled. The playcalling has been predictable, but with Chad's limitations it doesn't give you many options.

8. red75bronco

He has been very good throwing the crossing routes at 15 to 20 yards. If you want WR killed, keep throwing the hook next to the LBrs.