Run Defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I just posted it in the roster moves thread and thought about it but the run defense is a bigger question mark than it's been in years. We really haven't had to worry about getting gashed since Herm left and it wasn't really a big deal back then either. Ironic that we lost an AFCCG because of it.

But it looks like we're rolling out two 220 pound late round safeties to flank CJ Mosely in the linebacking corps. If Williams, JFM or Fatukasi miss any significant time we're probably in big time trouble on the defensive side of the ball on top of the fact that we will be running out a team of kindergarteners at corner (even if Hall looks promising).

A bit worried here about what this defense is going to look like off-tackle. I was hoping we signed some beef on the edges. Neville Hewitt would've been a nice depth piece to retain.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sherwood looked horrible v philly tackling wise.

Red Menace and Lon Chaney like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The 4-3 under the way Saleh is running it is great for simplicity and player-friendliness but it lacks flexibility and versatility. Less players up front to plug those gaps and less deception.

This is why Saleh keeps talking about how important the depth is up front, they almost need 2 starting defensive lines so the rotation doesn't let up pressure and expose the 2nd and 3rd levels to OL blocking.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

But it's a passing league... :p

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Galaxy brain argument: Having a bad run defense is a good thing because it baits dinosaur coaches into running too much on you.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Well. I'm certainly glad we finally flipped back to a true 4-3. We were getting there with Gregg Williams stupid hybrid shit but we are finally there. Fact of the matter is if you can't find a pretty good OLB that fits the 3-4 scheme then you're not going to have a pass rush. Because our MO on drafting 3-4 5T to provide the pressure obviously didn't work.

It's also a much better home for Quinnen Williams to potentially become a truly dominant pass rusher.

All gas no brakes definitely requires depth. I'd almost love to see Williams off the field on first downs but I don't think our run defense is going to be stout enough to afford that luxury. Your point is exactly the issue - if the defensive line tires, these linebackers are going to be blocked into the end zone if the line let's them get up. Fatukasi's role on this team become massive with Davis' injury.

I'm shocked we didn't go waiver wire hunting for a beefier backup linebacker. I'm sure there's a Reggie Ragland floating around out there. I'll go back to it too that Hewitt at $1.7 million would've been a great keep. I wanted Anthony Walker Jr. from the Colts too who only got $3 million. Perfect fit for this defense as it's close to what the Colts run.

abyzmul and Acad23 like this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Our DL is going to have to carry the load here, the Jets LBs are probably just as bad as their CBs.

8. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

I’m sure this will be a season long issue. What about this game? Can the panthers run block?

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have been drafting 3T and 5T linemen almost exclusively in the first 4 rounds aver the last 18 years going back to D-Rob. Over time that gives you a beefy OL that is great against the run and cannot pass rush for it's life unless you get lucky and find a Sapp in there somewhere.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I could see Quincy Williams getting some time in Sherwood's spot.

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Q could become an upper middle class version of Sapp or even better. :)

FJF likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

When we see the sacks we'll know he has arrived.

Pressures are nothing. Lots of people can pressure the QB, only a few get there a second early instead of a second late.

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Pressures force an opponent to alter their game plan.
    Pressures cause QB's to make mistakes which can lead to points.

themorey and PJ4Ever like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

The sacks are coming. He's on the same trajectory as Warren Sapp, Chris Jones, La'Roi Glover, Bryant Young, Geno Atkins, etc. were on as far as sack production is concerned.

I generally agree RE: pressures as a statistic. But you can see him disrupt running plays as well. A three yard tackle for loss on first down isn't an easy to find play these days.

Mogriffjr, NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm a tad worried about Saleh's philosophy. I've heard D-players saying the days of 'read and react' are over, now it's all 'get off the ball and get upfield'.

If you're doing the same thing every play, that's fine as long as you are REALLY REALLY good at it. You have to regularly beat someone who knows what you are doing.

16. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

It didn't look like the Jets found them that difficult to deliver to the opposition last season though.

17. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I think Shaq Lawson is going to be an improvement over what we’ve seen at RE in the preseason as far as Run Defense, and Quinnen Williams hasn’t been out there at all.

I absolutely see the potential for a weakness there with the LB’s that will play with Mosley, but I also suspect that we’ll see quite a bit of nickel with only 2 LB’s.

I have the feeling that a run stopping DL consisting of Lawson, Williams, Fatukasi, and Franklin-Myers will do a pretty solid job, and even if the second level guys struggle a bit.

The Jets may not be top 5-10 at Run D like they have been for the most part but I don’t see it being bottom 3rd either.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Based on what I have read about the wide 9 defense, stopping sweeps and outside runs are a strength. However stopping the run between the tackles is one of it weakness.

I’m not expecting Williams to do both in this defense, be a nightmare matchup one on one with guards on passing plays and be a dominant run stopper while tacking on two blockers, guards and tackle.

Good LB play can remedy this problem, that’s my concern with Sherwood, against Eagles the Jets defense was being attacked between tackles and Sherwood was just not getting there in time to account for his gap responsibilities and Eagles moved down field with ease.

If Saleh can scheme to protect against runs between tackles the run defense might not be as bad as some fear.

#18 Red Menace, Sep 7, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Dline has the freedom to become really really good at one thing instead of constantly overthinking their gap assignments. It's just crash your gap and get upfield which creates immediate push and removes a lot of the deception elements that the offense is using to confuse them with.

It's not new, I think Jimmy Johnson pioneered it at Oklahoma and Pete Carroll cannibalized it for his own purposes in the NFL and at USC, although Pete's occasionally assigns multiple gaps to a DT where Jimmy's didn't.

I'm sure Saleh added his own wrinkles to it, but it's essentially the same.

The real problem with it is it puts a huge onus on LBs and safeties to immediately spot and support screens and outside runs and we have young inexperienced LBs so we're going to be really dependant on Maye, Joyner and Mosley to be healthy and on their game.

#19 abyzmul, Sep 7, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Funneling everything back inside the tackles plays well as Mosley is the strength of the lb corps and should have no problem making those plays. Williams and rankins should keep him clean . The biggest weaknesses will be huff and Sherwood. I doubt huffs ability to set the edge and Sherwoods ability to end the play.