Rumour: Lions looking to trade Stafford

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by GREG, Feb 13, 2020.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

They would be smart to to be honest. He clearly will never be a true game changing QB.

NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  4. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

I would trade for Galladay...

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think you’re right. Lions are stuck in qb purgatory. This would be a good time to cut ties and draft tua. Sell the fan base a new hope.

6. NYJalltheway

It makes sense to me. Clearly you need a game changer to win in today's game.

FJF likes this.
  7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Told this to my friend who is a Dolphins fan and he laughed at me.

Bart Scott said this a few weeks ago

Patricia on the hotseat. Get a young QB who can perform and you save your job.
    1) Lions trade Stafford to Pats for their first round pick (20th?). Brady leaves Pats and Patricia helps out BB.
    2) Lions draft Tua and now have the 20th? pick in the first round.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

A change of scenery might help the player too. Stafford has all the tools in the world, but for whatever reason it hasn't really worked out in Detroit. I thought he looked pretty good before he got hurt.

He throws for tons of yards, he doesn't turn the ball over a ton, he can engineer comebacks and they still lose games.

He'd be perfect on the Chargers with those receivers. Mike Williams/Keenan Allen. They just need to invest in fixing their offensive line but the defense is also ready to go.

#8 Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    nycarl, NYJetsO12, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  9. dawinner127

10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I wonder if they'd take less compensation to lighten the burden of the contract.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Eh. Contracts can always be restructured and refigured in the NFL. All sports, really but the NFL has a lot of ways to turn base salary into roster bonuses and what not or stretch the money out over several years so it's never an issue.

It'd be better for the team and player to part ways. But they really did it fucking stupidly if they're going to do it. You don't keep a coach like Patricia that gets fired next year at anything less than 9-7 and let him choose to draft a quarterback over your former #1 pick who is still a good player.

You clean house and start fresh with a new vision. Similar to the stupidity we encountered by choosing Darnold, shoving him in two different systems to start his career and let the GM and head coach be turned over within 14 months of him arriving.

HomeoftheJets, FJF and dawinner127 like this.
  12. FJF

I wouldn’t let that stop me. Take the hit, get some extra picks. If you suck this year,so what? You’ll have your fqb of the future and a high pick .

dawinner127 likes this.
  13. NYJalltheway

Man that sounds complicated. It's the Lions though so they'll take the safe route.

14. dawinner127

Totally agree with both of your posts. I think my buddy just has these orange and teal glasses on and everything has to be his way to convince himself they will get Tua bc its been the plan the entire season.

15. FJF

That is the only thing that would give me pause but like Sam, if you think tua is that alpha qb you take him and look for a coach that wants to coach him.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Agreed. The only difference is that we didn't have a Stafford on the roster. The Lions could very well go the other way and try to retool the roster to make a divisional push.

Take an offensive lineman at 3? I'm not big on taking corners with premium picks because I usually don't think they're good enough to warrant it. They're in a tough spot though because I think Okudah is the real deal.

Patricia needs to learn to deviate from his philosophy. Their secondary was fucking awful and he refused to stop running man coverage.

Either way they have some decent pieces, $45 million in cap space and only one 'must sign' free agent (Glasgow). They could add another piece or two.

FJF likes this.
  17. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Denzel Ward, Marshon Lattimore, and Jalen Ramsey were the real deal as well. But it doesnt really matter to have some gamebreaker on defense if you cannot move the football.

Never waste premium picks on defense until your offense is properly situated.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

For sure! There are definitely some good corners that come out of using premium picks. I think I just hate the concept of investing any resources in corners because the Jets as a franchise have been trying to do it for ten years since the Revis debacle and it's resulted in nothing because of your second point.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Its a stupid move for 2020 but they may want to tank next year so they can end up with that Clemson kid with the long hair in next year's draft. A handful of teams are gonna try to tank to do that. I have it on good authority that the Carolina Panthers are one of them btw. Look for a fire sale in Carolina

20. FJF

That’s a good route to take to. Probably not getting them to the championship though. Which is why it’s purgatory. Can’t fault them for either direction they choose