RUMOR: Jets offered 12th overall pick in 2021 for Sam Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Royal Tee and Noam like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I saw this on Twitter yesterday and I just don't buy it. I find it highly unlikely the Jets passed on the 12th overall pick and then settled for a 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I read the same thing somewhere else yesterday. It seems consistent with Albert Breer's report from last week where he said that JD said that the Jets had a significant offer likely a 1 for Sam that they did not feel comfortable doing until they finished their evaluation.

But when they say SF offered the 12 pick they might have wanted something back in exchange like our 34 or 23 which then matches up with the rumors we heard 5 or 6 weeks ago about such a swap. To bad for Sam SF would have been a great spot for him not only with coaching but being closer to home.

Add this with everything else we have heard the last 2 months and it seems pretty believable.

#3 Noam, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    azhar80, themorey, LAJet and 2 others like this.
  4. Footballgod214

It's funny how the 9ers could see Sam as a slam dunk in their offense, but a big part of TGG couldn't see Sam as doing good in our own version of the same 9'ers offense.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

In all due respect we are a battered and frustrated fan base. We need hope and a belief that there will be better days. Sam does not offer us that. He could have done well here but he could have failed too. The pressure on him would have been immense and the fan tolerance for his mistakes would have been non-existent. He is best off with a fresh start and we are best off with a shiny new QB that does not have 3 years of blemishes and dents from our frustrations. A new QB along with a new CS allows us to start over and gives some hope for the future. I like Sam, I like Wilson, I like Fields, I like Lance, I like Jones but most of all I trust in the methodical patient thoughtful process of JD. I might not agree with everything JD does but I think he brings us hope for a better future as does our new QB.

6. Footballgod214

JD wasn't gonna trade away his starting QB that his staff was fine going ahead with for an up-shot college kid who's throwing arm was about to fall off. At least that was his fear.

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

uStadium seems to contradict this report.

Not saying they're right and the Broncos reporter is wrong but just some additional context for this convo.

8. Footballgod214

I agree with all that, except that part were there was no possibility of Sam doing well in our new offense with new coaching and a better team around him. I'm not looking forward to another season filled with 'rookie mistakes'.

amuck57 and westiedog1 like this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Considering what the 49ers gave up to swap with Miami I'd bet it was closer to being Sam and a 5th, or maybe Sam and a 3rd next year. The Niners were clearly ready to spend big to get another young QB.

I think the whole report about waiting on a trade before seeing Wilson's pro day is sketchy. We wouldn't take a great trade for Sam because we were afraid we might get stuck with Fields, or someone else? At #2 we have our choice of QBs but I guess it was always just Sam or Wilson.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  10. Footballgod214

All uStadium can say is "We hadn't heard that before". Well, now they have. Whether it's tru or not, who knows? JD maybe but he ain't talkin!

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I get that but if they were presented with the 12th pick straight up for Sam, I find it highly unlikely they wouldn't have accepted it on the spot. That's just absurd value for a bottom-tier QB.

12. Footballgod214

It was. JD said his staff was fine with Sam but also really liked 2 rookies (TL, ZW). So if he traded Sam, for him it was Zack or nothing. He had 2b sure Zack ws healthy.

dmw and Noam like this.
  13. Footballgod214

The only thing worse than having a bottom-tier QB is having no QB.

dmw likes this.
  14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Lol

12th overall my ass

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I just can't believe this report because if so, then the 49ers are ridiculous. Even more ridiculous if they draft Mac Jones. If they truly felt good enough with Sam to offer the 12th overall pick, then they would definitely wait and see what the Jets do with him before giving up that same #12 pick, a 1st and 3rd in 2022 and a 1st in 2023. I don't think you do that if you are willing to give a single #12 pick for Sam.

Someone is lying in that report.

16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Ah the idol worship continues Poor FootballGod

REVISion likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

Ehhhh....if they are willing to trade 3 1st round picks for Mac Jones, maybe they were OK with trading just one for Sam. Either way, they do seem desperate for a QB this yr.

ouchy likes this.
  18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Let's put up the billboards.

Time for a new GM.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Is it though? They could sign/draft almost anyone and get similar production to what Sam gave us last year.

wewantsapp and REVISion like this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The amount of value we are placing on a QB with several concerning bust flags is dumb. I tried to think of a less insulting adjective, but I couldn't.