Rumor: Jets Expect to Sign Logan Ryan (Signs with Giants)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NYJFOREVER, May 12, 2020.

1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'm reading his comments on PFT it looks like this guy is holding out for more cash.

The Jets make sense but he's still open for business blah blah blah.

Move on. Pull the offer.

He'll be another one of these guys that only comes here for the payday then gives the Jets next to nothing.

Pay Adams he actually wants to be here and he gives 110% effort.

BonScott and rammagen like this.
  2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Here is the truth about Logan Ryan & where he is at:
    Free-agent CB Logan Ryan, perhaps trying to stimulate his market, appeared on the NFL Network this morning and said he's "completely open for business." Asked about his interest in the Jets, he said, "That would make sense, for sure, but ... I'm trying to do what's best for my family. There are a lot of rumors out there. I can't confirm any of it because I'm obviously still not signed yet. I'm open to it. We'll see what happens."

3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The Jets should pull their offer.

NOW!!

RochesterJet likes this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

So he was advertising himself then?

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I forgot Logan Ryan ended Brady's Patriots career with a Pick-6. Okay, sign him. :)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Logan Ryan: Jets 'make sense,' but I'm 'completely open for business'
    [​IMG]

Nick Shook
    AROUND THE NFL WRITER

Logan Ryan remains a free agent (and a hot topic on this website), and with at least one team interested in him, it sounds as if he could soon be employed again.

Or he could wait for the ideal combination of fit and finances.

The Jets are interested in Ryan, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported Tuesday, and a Thursday appearance on Good Morning Football signaled Ryan might be ready to announce something. All we learned was Ryan is still open to offers from everyone not located in Nashville.

"The Jets, it makes a lot of sense. I'm from the area, I went to Rutgers, 20 minutes from there," Ryan explained when asked about a potential pairing with Gang Green. "So I'm familiar with New Jersey, I'm blue-collar, that's how I grew up. I came out of Rutgers in the third round to New England and had to do my job and I continue to do that. That would make sense for sure.

"But like I said, I'm trying to what's best for my family and everything like that. Obviously, there's a lot of rumors out there. I can't confirm any of it because I'm obviously still not signed yet. We'll see. I obviously want to get a deal done whenever, and I'm open to it. So we'll what happens there. But I'm also open to pretty much 30 other franchises, except the Titans. I'm completely open for business."

Ryan said recently he'd accept a one-year deal making the same $10 million he was earning on average in his three-year contract with the Titans, which expired after the 2019 season. At 29, Ryan is coming off a strong season and understandably wants to be compensated accordingly, or at least be afforded the opportunity to prove he is worth it after 2020. He's made the media rounds to explain his stance in the last week, so perhaps we're mere days from seeing legitimate movement on his status.

For now, though, Ryan remains a free agent who's ready to listen to pitches from 31 NFL teams.

7. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Unless Hall and Wilson show up out of shape and are dumb/lazy like Polite, or just can't play, there's no way that either would get cut at the end of TC. With regards to Jackson and Guidry, neither one may be that good. Don't forget that they were UDFAs and there is a reason they went undrafted. Jackson's speed is not good. WRs can run by him and away from him all day long. His 40 time was 4.6. Unless he grabs a WR going by, his height and play-making ability aren't going to help him except in jump ball situations. Guidry is blazing fast, but is only 5'8" and very raw according to what I've read about him. Both may belong on the PS. Both could make the roster, in which case, they'd both probably primarily play on STs. If they make the roster and show promise, I'm sure that Greg Williams will find some playing time for them. Also don't forget that the roster is larger this year as is the PS. I think worrying about losing either is silly. If other teams thought that much of them, they probably would have used their 7th round pick on them.

They could get grabbed by another team and not clear waivers, but as always, those teams are going to have UDFAs and young players they want to keep, and not much pilfering actually happens. If they clear waivers and make it onto our PS, even if another team tries to sign one of them off our PS, the Jets will get an opportunity to match or beat that team's offer. If they don't, then that will tell you what the Jets really think of their potential. If the Jets don't match the offer, the other team has to sign that player and put him on their active roster, which means that they will have to cut a player they wanted to keep on their roster. Chances are that player will have greater potential than Jackson or Guidry and could be a CB or a player at another position where we don't have quite as good depth. The Jets could keep as many as 11-12 DBs. Normally they would probably only keep 9-10, but with the expanded rosters, and the way that Williams likes to blitz DBs, they could keep that many.

Below are players the Jets will most likely keep.

CB: Desir, Poole, Austin, Hall, Wilson
    other possibilities: Maulet, Jackson, Guidry, Hairston, Shyheim Carter

S: Adams, Maye, Davis
    other possibilities: Bennett Jackson, Matthias Farley, Anthony Cioffi

With Ashtyn Davis' flexibility, they Jets might only keep 3 Ss, or they could still keep 4, maybe even 5 if they like their backup Ss better than their CBs. I'd say that Desir, Poole, Austin, Hall and Wilson are locks to make the team. I think the Jets will keep 6 CBs at a minimum, and could keep 7. If the Jets sign Logan Ryan, obviously he would make the team. Maulet is probably next up. Hairston and Carter are probably the two least likely to stick. Carter has excellent instincts and good coverage and play-making ability, but is slow. Jackson and Guidry could go onto the PS along with maybe Cager or Campbell and whomever else the Jets want to keep.

The Jets have to think long term, but they also have to think short term and about establishing their new culture. The latter can't be done solely with raw rookies. Part of that culture is that the team plays smart, tough and wins. Raw rookies aren't the best way to win games.

#128 NCJetsfan, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Sec124DieHard, K'OB and Noam like this.
  9. K'OB

So you say he makes the team, ultimately he is a slot corner and we have one of those already, do we need another when we have other needs?

Also, I have read you say about Jackson struggling for speed but really 4.6 v somebody 4.4 is not that big a difference really, it isn't the same as a flat out race on a track.

I do agree with pretty much wah you said

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I'm not sure whom you are referring to in your first sentence. If you're speaking about Logan Ryan, he definitely makes the team if the Jets sign him. Based on how much he is likely to get paid, if signed, he will start.

With regards to Jackson, I disagree. Two tenths of a second (give or take a few hundreds of a second) is enough to give that WR a step, and that is all that is needed. Also, being that much slower, would mean that he would probably have to play off the WR and play deeper, which would leave underneath routes open all day, then it would take just a feint or a missed tackle, for the WR to go for a long gain or a TD. Once the WR was past him, Jackson would never catch him, especially someone like Tyreek Hill or Henry Ruggs. IMO Jackson is going to have to be VERY good at playing Press Coverage and keeping the WR from getting off the LOS to be effective in the NFL.

K'OB likes this.
  11. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I haven’t followed this because he hasn’t signed but just from the last page this sounds like another Anthony Barr situation I guess? Sigh

12. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

His combine time was 4.58. His pro day was 4.51. Richard Sherman's best time was 4.56. Similar size and athletic abilities. I will take Sherman in a GW defense no problem. I'm not a fan of Sherman, but to write this kid off like you have is ridiculous. He had 4 ints last year. Was a 4 star recruit. I think he will show up some doubters.

K'OB likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Barr actually agreed to sign with the Jets and then reneged on it. Ryan never agreed to anything, Mehta just likes spreading rumors.

FJF likes this.
  14. K'OB

That is the point who will he start over?

If he like J-Raw24 has clearly stated he is a slot corner and not as good as Poole at that position and he is only average on the outside, why would he then be a guaranteed start? This then leads to the question, do we really need him if the previous statement is true?

Well, this thing with the speedy CB's can't be everything as not every CB is as fast as the WR's they are covering, other things must come into the equation, surely?

I have had a look at the top 10 last year and fair enough they are all fast but there is a couple that are only a little faster than Jackson.

Patrick Peterson 4.34
    Jalen Ramsey 4.41
    Stephon Gilmore 4.40
    Xavien Howard 4.58
    Byron Jones 4.43
    Darius Slay 4.36
    Kyle Fuller 4.49
    Denzel Ward 4.32

Richard Sherman 4.56

Of course, the other thing to wonder is as they age how much speed do they lose, this is more pertinent to Jackson as he can't afford to lose the speed as he hits 28yo etc, maybe you get Peterson slowing down to 4.6 at 29yo I don't know really.

For the man of the moment, Logan only ran 4.56 and he is now 29yo also and you think he would be a lock for the team.

As for Tyreek Hill who catches him right now anyways? Nobody lol

#134 K'OB, May 14, 2020
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  15. K'OB

Damn, I wish I had read on before replying to @NCJetsfan as it would have saved me 20 minutes of life and a click of the like button :rolleyes:

16. NCJetsfan

I have not seen the pro day time. All I have seen reported is the 4.6. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this, as I think you're the one being totally ridiculous obsessing over maybe losing a UDFA, and saying that a player who has been a very good CB in the NFL for years is not good.

Also, if Jackson is such a great prospect, why did he go undrafted???? The Jets aren't the only team in need of CB help. Three teams had compensatory 6th round picks, and 9 teams had compensatory 7th round picks. The Colts took a CB with our 6th round pick that we gave them for Wilson (#211). No other CBs were taken in the 6th round. 6 CBs were taken in the 7th round, and I had never heard of any of them. If Jackson is so great, why wasn't he drafted?

#136 NCJetsfan, May 14, 2020
  17. J-Raw24

Why wasn't Robbie Anderson drafted? Orly better yet how about Chrebet? Kurt Warner? John Randle? James Harrison?

18. J-Raw24

Oh and btw Logan Ryan wasn't even a top 50 corner last year. He's nothing special and wants 10 Million. Absolutely not worth it. Especially when we have a slot corner and our outside corners are probably better there.

19. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Those players are the exceptions not the rule

20. J-Raw24

I agree. But to right the kid of before he get the chance to play is just like passing on any one of them. Especially for someone who truly isn't that good. He's an above average slot corner at best. We already have one of those.