Rumor: Jets and Giants FA C/G Weston Richburg have mutual interest in one another

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MurrellMartin, Feb 28, 2018.

1. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

This comes from Tony Pauline, who is usually pretty accurate with his reports this time a year.

http://draftanalyst.com/combine-notes-day-1

Free Agency Chatter

• As I initially reported during the Senior Bowl, expect extensive talks between theNew York Jets and Weston Richburg during the free agency period. The New York Giants are unlikely to keep their former starting center, and Richburg to the Jets is something both sides want to happen. The Jets need help at guard and an upgrade at center; Richburg can play both spots.

Murrell2878 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I posted in the other thread but forgot Wesley Johnson is a FA... he'd be a huge upgrade at C but can also slide over to play G if we bring back Johnson which I would hope we don't. Sign Richburg. sign Cousins, draft Nelson. And then marvel at our shiny new toys.

3. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Be very happy with this. Releasing Carpenter if this were to happen would save 4.9 million. Could get another player to help at a different position. Be a win win.

4. MurrellMartin

If we bring back Johnson I'll shoot myself in the face.

Sign Richburg or Jensen and add Nelson in Round 1 or Ragnow in Round 2 (who can also play both G/C) and we're cooking.

5. tubby

tubby Active Member

Beachum, Nelson, Richburg, Winters, Shell

Not bad at all

FJF and MurrellMartin like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't know if we should be taking lineman from the Giants. There offensive line was pretty bad last year. Would rather go after Ryan Jensen.

7. MurrellMartin

Richburg missed the final 12 games due to a concussion suffered in Week 4, which has scared me off of him and led me towards the path of Jensen as well, but he did a serviceable job at LG as a rookie in 2014 and a good job at C from 2015-Week 4 2017 for the Giants. It's really him or Jensen out there (I don't think Sullivan gets away from the Rams) so we would be wise to pick up one of them AND draft another capable C in the draft, because I wouldn't rely on either for the long-term.

8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Wes Johnson was atrocious last year, Center is a huge area of need. Richburg was very good in 2016. I say go for it.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd rather sign Richburg or Jensen in FA than use a 2nd rounder on Price or Ragnow. If we aren't able to sign Richburg or Jensen, or since we'll need a backup C, would any of you have any interest in any of the following potential FA Cs?

Brian Schwenke (26), Titans
    Travis Swanson (27), Lions
    Spencer Long (27), Redskins
    Russell Bodine (25), Bengals
    Luke Bowanko (26), Ravens

tomdeb likes this.
  10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’ll take him