Rumor: Bush to pull an Eli...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJets38, Apr 28, 2006.

1. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

and refuse to play for the saints:

SEGAL PLANNING A BAYOU POWER PLAY

A league source tells us that agent Joel Segal plans to take the position that tailback Reggie Bush will not play for the New Orleans Saints.

The move, the source surmises, is aimed at allowing Segal to save some face after blowing Bush's shot to be the first overall pick in the draft.

The source also tells us that the Texans opted to tab defensive end Mario Williams with the No. 1 overall pick due to Bush and Segal's sky-high monetary demands. Segal, we're told, wanted $30 million in guaranteed money -- a 25 percent increase over the $24 million in guaranteed money that quarterback Alex Smith received as the No. 1 overall pick in 2005. Although Bush's recent P.R. problems didn't, we hear, play a role in the Texans' decision, word is that the multiple issues regarding Bush and his family caused the Texans to conclude that the fan base would be more likely to accept the decision to draft Williams.

As to the Saints, the thinking is that they are more than happy to fall out of the No. 2 spot, and the financial commitment that it requires. The Jets are an obvious choice to make a move, and they've got the No. 29 overall pick to throw into the mix.

Under the trade value chart, however, the Jets would still need 160 points to justify the transaction. The No. 2 pick is worth 2,600 points, the No. 4 selection is worth 1,800, and the No. 29 pick has a value of 640.

If a trade goes down between the Jets and Saints, New Orleans would draft tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson or linebacker A.J. Hawk at No.4.

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reports that the Packers and the Raiders have contacted the Saints about a possible trade up, as have the Cardinals. The Cardinals, interestingly, would make the move not to draft Bush -- which would drop him to at least No. 3.

The Cardinals, we figure, would make the move in order to nab Ferguson. Then the question becomes whether the Titans stick with Vince Young, or whether they select Bush.

The most intriguing landing spot for Bush is Green Bay, where he would provide the kind of Reggie White impact for which Lord Favre recently has been whining. Ironically, Favre wrote off in his press conference about nothing from April 8 the possible impactof any rookie in 2006.

Brett might feel differently if the rookie they end up with is Reggie Bush.

And the Saints could still slide to the five hole and get Ferguson or Hawk. New Orleans also would be slotted one spot lower, meaning less money required to sign the player.

From ProFootballTalk.

Take it for what it's worht.

2. ice

ice New Member

it's the only way we land him.

3. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

If Bush takes this position and the Saints draft him, that's very, very good for the Jets. The Titans will then take and keep the QB, Leinart or Young, and the Jets can take the remaining QB or D'Brickashaw Ferguson and trade him along with the 35 and the 71.

Or am I nuts?

4. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I don't know if Mangini would want Bush at all then, refusing to play for a team would not be a "high character" move.

5. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

I can already hear the REGGIE chant echoing through Giants stadium in my head.

New Orleans isn't even going to have a franchise in a couple of years. Reggie should (and I hope he does) pull an Eli.

6. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

I want Bush as much as anybody, but I hope this isn't true. I hate rookies coming in thinking they are bigger than the game.

#6 NYJets38, Apr 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2005
  7. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

Your point is well taken, but on the other hand, why shouldn't he think that? He's been treated like a visiting head of state for the last year.

8. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

Yea I know, I don't put all the blame on him, I'm sure a lot of other people have a lot to do with it if true. I just don't like that it goes on.

9. Drew

Drew Active Member

If he ends up in a Jets uniform come September... I don't care how it gets done.

10. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

But if you had a choice to either play and live in New Orleans or New York which would you choose? I don't blame him for not wanting to go to NO. I've been to New Orleans. I don't ever want to go back.

Its a no-brainer, plus the money he could make outside of football in NY (endosements and whatnot). Snap!

11. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

who the hell would want to live in a giant bowl right next to large mass of water that floods every year....oh apparently a shitload of morons....

12. bigredjet

bigredjet New Member

Bush would take a MASSIVE PR hit here, no? Katrina's still kinda raw.

13. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

Yea, and that's the last thing he needs right now.

I know why he wouldn't want to play there, I just don't like that he might get to choose. Go where your drafted, play out your contract, and if then you earn your right to pick where you go.

Sadly, there's probably nothing that can be done to keep this from happening more and more in the future.

14. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Thing is, just like Eli last year it is really an empty threat, noone especially a Rb is going to leave that kind of money on the table. If the saints draft him and he says he won't play they should tell him fine, and keep his rights. the short careers that Rb have he would cave, he could blow out a knee training and be done. He can't go back to school, he owes people money, what is he going to do exactly?

15. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

This draft is so confusing I give up... we won't have any clue who is going where until the picks are made tomorrow.

Who knows? Maybe the Texans will go out and take Bush :lol:

16. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I say let NO draft him and then have the Jets pick up Furguson. Bush refuses to sign with NO and the Jets could hold them for hostage and say straight up trade, Bush for Furguson. Or we keep Brick. They would trade.

17. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

Agreed, but would the Saints want to deal with that?

18. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

This doesn't jibe with what the Houston beatwriters are saying, and they should know.

The Texans offer to Williams was BETTER than what it would have taken to sign Bush. They wanted Williams -- that's what it boils down to.

19. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

problem with that is the saints know they aren't a playoff team even with brick, they can easily just sit on Bush's rights and force him to sign or not play, there is no expectation of greatness from them next year, and brick doesn't do anything for attendance so why trade bush for him?

20. TheHitman

TheHitman New Member

alright ur starting to piss me off with these "thing is......" "problem with that is"

like u know everything.