Rule Question

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by casman02, Sep 25, 2011.

1. casman02

casman02 New Member

I am having an argument on another message board about one of the final plays in the Jet/Raider game. Near the end of the game Campbell threw a pass into the endzone with Strickland on coverage. The other person is claiming that it was PI because Strick was boxing out the WR. Obviously, I disagree saying the play was clean. Anyone know the league policy on these plays?

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

It was not pass interference. "Boxing out?" That otha guy is lawst. He's outta his mind.

3. RevisApotheosis

RevisApotheosis New Member

If anything, PI should have been called on our last drive, on the fade to Plax. He got absolutely mugged by the defender but no flag. Cro, on the other hand, couldn't scratch his own nuts without drawing a flag.

4. NickD

NickD New Member

No flag, no PI. Strickland had position so the refs called it right.

5. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

he had such good coverage i honestly thought a flag was going to be thrown. that game yesterday was wild for both sides.

6. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

Depends on the ref. Did you watch the pats game yesterday? The Bills got a PI in the endzone that wiped out an INT, the pats safety just stood there with good position and the bills WR intentionally ran into him and got the call about 8 yards away from the underthrown ball. So while it is all dependent on the referee's interpretation.

7. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Don't kill me, but the first thing I thought when I saw that play was that it could be PI. Strickland had good position, and maybe deserved the non-call, but you could definitely tell that the WR was trying to come back to the ball and Strickland kept on pushing him farther away.

I wouldn't have a problem with Strickland using his position to play the ball and "box-out" that WR, but the fact that he kept on pushing away tells me that (A) he himself wasn't playing the ball, and (B) he was stopping the WR from doing so... in my mind that is pass interference. If he had turned around and simply "maintained" position, I would think the opposite.

I don't have a problem with it because it is such a subjective penalty, and there is rarely any consistency with the way they call it (especially yesterday), but that is my honest opinion.

#7 gopats88, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  8. Freeman_McNeil#24

i think what saved him from getting the flag was that he turned his head around in time to play the ball. any later and the flag would have been thrown.