Rookie of Week 1.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

>> Vote Here <<

[​IMG]
    Saquon Barkley, New York Giants
    The running back had 128 yards from scrimmage against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Barkley had 18 carries for 106 yards (5.9 avg.) and a touchdown and added two receptions for 22 yards.

[​IMG]
    Denzel Ward, Cleveland Browns
    The cornerback recorded six tackles, three passes defensed and two interceptions against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Ward is the fourth youngest player (21 years, 134 days old) in NFL history to record two or more interceptions in a game.

[​IMG]
    Mike Hughes, Minnesota Vikings
    The cornerback recorded three tackles, three passes defensed and returned an interception 28 yards for a touchdown in the Vikings' 24-16 win over the San Francisco 49ers.

[​IMG]
    Phillip Lindsay, Denver Broncos
    The running back had 102 scrimmage yards and a receiving touchdown in the Broncos' 27-24 win over the Seattle Seahawks. Lindsay had 15 carries for 71 yards and added two receptions for 31 yards and a touchdown.

[​IMG]
    Sam Darnold, New York Jets
    The quarterback completed 16 of 21 passes for 198 yards and two touchdowns in the Jets' 48-17 victory over the Detroit Lions.

2. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

In all reality, Ward should get the vote. Considering Sam's career started with a pick-6, and be bounced back the way he did, he should get some love.

boozer32, Poeman and Mogriffjr like this.
  3. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm going with Darnold. That first play was entirely scripted, once he started reading the field himself
    he was great. With some competent, but no superstar, receivers. Who's the TE on this team, anyway?

Ron

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Ward had a great game, but he also gave up a TD pass and some other completions all because he didn't turn his freaking head around. Hughes' play was eclipsed by Ward's, and Lindsay's play was eclipsed by Barkley's. I saw every carry that Barkley had, and if not for the one long TD run, his effect and stats would have been negligible. Sam was the youngest QB to start in game one. It was on the road, and he tied Brady's mark of his team's margin of victory in his first game. After the scripted pick six, which many claimed galvanized the team together, Sam stayed cool and led the team to scores. IMO it shouldn't even be close. It should be a landslide for Sam.

#4 NCJetsfan, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  5. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Definitely Darnold.
    Boy it feels good to make mistakes that Sam & CS can learn by...and still come out on top.
    Let's face it these are signs of a winner & Sam is a winner.

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Ward and Darnold are the only reasonable choices. I'd go with Darnold but I can't argue with Ward. Barkley is number 3, I guess, but the fact is that he was pretty much invisible for the entire game except for one play, so he can't possibly be ahead of either Darnold or Ward.

LF911SC and Brook! like this.
  7. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. Coming back from the near disaster like he did, and a being a rookie in his first game, shouldn't even be close.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Just dropped a payload of 50 votes for Sam.

Footballgod214 and Peebag like this.
  9. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Ward got 2 interceptions, but they kind of just fell to him. It's not like he jumped a route and made a great play. The stats don't tell you the full picture imo.

NCJetsfan and LF911SC like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, they (stats) don't tell the full picture, but I watched the entire Steelers-Browns game and Ward had a great game. He had tight coverage on every receiver he covered. The only mistake he made was not getting his head turned around. On the TD he gave up, it was clear that the ball was arriving. The receiver did nothing to disguise that fact. Ward should have had at least a deflection if not an interception on that play.

11. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

I didnt feel like starting a new thread so I’ll post this here

PFF gave josh allen a higher grade than sam darold this week. Lol what a joke

Peebag likes this.
  12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

FWIW, I watched the Pitt game and Ward was 1-on-1 with press on AB on the TD play. His 1st interception was incredible--he read Ben, came off his man, and played the angle perfectly.

This kid looks like the next shut-down corner. I take my hat off to Cleve for seeing him worth the 4th pick.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

My boss is a Browns fan and I told him his team is short just one thing. That is, a competent HC. They're not pushovers by any stretch.

14. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

PFF is so stupid lol

15. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

What is that the Giants are saying, "our stud is better than yours." GTFOH

16. Cman68

Sounds just a bit whiny doesn't it...

17. statjeff22

The real point, of course, is that their stud has to be at least as much better than who he could have been replaced with using a later pick than our stud is better than who he could have been replaced with using a later pick. Given the relative importance and replaceability of a running back compared to a quarterback, the only way that can happen is if the QB is a bust.

I would also point out that Crowell had virtually the same exact game that Barkley did, and no one is claiming that he is the next coming of Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Adrian Peterson combined.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Cman68

Jeff, you are most definetly the Mr. Spock of TGG.com! :)

19. statjeff22

I will admit that there has been more than one person on whom I wanted to do the Vulcan neck pinch!

[​IMG]

Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  20. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how the public remembers those two picks. I've always found you can never judge how the public will pick one narrative in sports over the other. People may decide Barkley was the better pick for reasons the player himself can't control. Same with Darnold. It often times comes down to that old saying, "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."