Rookie Clemens emerges in Jets' QB battle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Jun 18, 2006.

1. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

Rookie Clemens emerges in Jets' QB battle
    Sunday, June 18, 2006
    BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

couple things that stand out to me.

im very happy brad smith is transitioning well at WR.
    also its nice to see ramsey is well same old ramsey interception machine.:rolleyes:
    i didnt even know anything about drew coleman but his name has come up alot this weekend. in a good way.

2. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Does the Vilma thing worry anyone? Will he be able to perform like last year in a 3-4 defence?

3. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

We HAVE to start Clemens. I don't want to see Chad with his weak-ass arm again. He looked horrible last year and his arm will not get better after he injured his shoulder again. He can't throw bombs anymore wich takes a away a huge part of Laveranues' game and our offense in general. He was a fumble machine, he's injury prone and i don't see us as a playoff calibur team with a QB like that. And Ramsey? Please. He's a backup at best. Start Clemens! :)

4. DaBallhawk

Ray Lewis had his best season (defensive MVP) and simply dominated the whole league when the Ravens switched to a 3-4 defense in 2003. Vilma will be able to drop in coverage and hopefully make a lot of interceptions like all the other ILB's in the AFC. He will still get a lot of tackles because that's what 3-4 ILB do (see Zach Thomas, Ray Lewis in 03, Donnie Edwars, James Farrior, Andra Davis, Teddy Bruschi & co.) so i don't see a problem at all.

5. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Just saying dude... Vilma's best assest is his sideline to sideline speed and ability to assert where the Runningback is heading and Vilma gets there quick enough to make the stop. Vilma doesnt go between the tackles too much and is not a guy who has proven himself able to take on linemen. Also he is not really a coverage LB. Ray Lewis on the other hand is more aggressive than Vilma and does run into the pack alot. Just sayin he might not be playing on his specialities next year.

6. DaBallhawk

Vilma is not a coverage LB? Have you seen him play at all? Go watch the Falcons game and look at how he covered Crumpler on that one play. Textbook coverage. Not many (or any) MLB are able to cover a guy like Crumpler 50yds downfield and then make the interception. He has the speed, instincts and hands to be a great cover LB and i think he will make a lot of bigplays in the 3-4 defense.

And Vilma is a Ray Lewis clone in terms of shedding blockers etc. If he bulks up another 10 pounds he should have no problem at all as a 3-4 ILB. There are so many weak ILB who struggle vs big blockers but they still put up huge numbers. Again, look at Ray Lewis and Donnie Edwards. I for one think Vilma will have an MVP kind of season next year. :)

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Yeah , looked what happened to Moss when he left us :rolleyes:

So IF any of the other QBs and in particular Clemons shows 'it' they will have to ride the bench??? Thats retarded.

8. gustoonarmy

I think the difference between Lewis and Vilma is that Lewis will take on and break through lines whereas Vilma rides the block and manipulates the line each done effectively.

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

What they are saying is that JV is just not strong enough & big enough which has been the rap on him from day 1

10. DaBallhawk

Uh, and what happened to Moss? He was already a great WR when he left! Its not like he sucked in New York and all of a sudden became a great WR in Washington. Again, he was already a great WR when we had him.

This has nothing to do with "it". Ramsey looked horrible so far and Pennington wont get us anywhere with his noodle arm. The guy has to get healthy first. Clemens looked sharp, has a cannon for an arm, is a leader and smart. Its even more retarded to bench a guy like that just because he's a rookie.

11. DaBallhawk

That was Ray Lewis about 6-7 years ago, when he was a 250+ pound LB and before the shoulder injury he's had in 02. Ray Lewis is one of the weakest LB if it comes down to taking on a guard, center or even a fullback. He's weak and it shows. Have you seen the Chiefs game in 04? He almost started crying on the bench because he couldnt do anything about it, the Chiefs really dominated him.
    Vilma will not get asked to do the dirty work in our 3-4 defense. Thats why we picked up guys like Schlegel or the one LB from the Titans (tough, hard nosed ILB). We also picked up a run stuffing in the box safety in Eric Smith. Like i said, Vilma will be alright and i think he will have a fantastic season. Lets see what will happens.

12. gustoonarmy

Player............No Yds Avg Long TD
    Santana Moss 45 838..18.6..69.....5

Player............No Yds Avg Long TD
    Santana Moss 84 1483 17.7 78 9

Washington had someone who could get the ball to him in stride over 40 yards , he subsequentley set the league on fire.

What I'm saying is that if Clemons turns in a better minicamp and pre-season he should start as with anyone. This is a fresh start for everyone.

13. DaBallhawk

So? Is Donnie Edwards big and strong? The guy is 6'2 and somewhere in the 220 range. Vilma is 6'1, 230lbs according to NFL.com but he sure looks bigger than that and he still continues to grow.

14. championjets69

The info posted was a quote from Larry Coker his college coach not my judgement. However, based that most of JVs tackles were made 5 or more yards DF indicates what was written is correct. Do you think that a making tackles 5 or more DF is a productive MLB?

15. DaBallhawk

Yup and thats why i want Clemens to start for us. We have such a great WR in Coles...its just sad to see him catching 5 to 10 yd passes all the time. Lets start using him like they use Moss in Washington. Some screen passes, some bombs etc. Coles has better hands than Moss, he's faster or at least as fast as Moss and is one of the toughest receivers out there.

Agreed but so far (doesnt mean that much, i know) Clemens looks better than any other QB on our team. If he still looks that good after training camp and pre season...then start him. I dont want to start a QB like Ramsey (if he still struggles) just because Clemens is a rookie. I mean thats just stupid and i know/hope Mangini realizes that.

16. gustoonarmy

Brad Kassell. He should do a good job there. Also Matt Chatham will be use at some point I imagine for a similar role

17. DaBallhawk

1. Yes, he was too small in college. He looked more like a big strong safety but like i said, he's much bigger now. He put on a lot of muscles and really looks perfect if you ask me. He could add another 5 pounds if you ask me but thats about it.

2. Thats defenitely not true. I dont know where you got that from but its bullshit. I did a research after the 05 season ended and Vilma's avg. was 3,2yds/tackle or something like that. For a MLB with over 170 tackles...thats just amazing. He also had more tackles for losses than...i'd 90% of the MLBs in the NFL.

18. DaBallhawk

Yup, exactly. I feel very good since we added those guys. And dont forget Kimo. The guy was the best 3-4 DE last season. He can easily take on two guys (OT&OG) to free up Vilma or someone else. D-Rob will get asked to "block" the C&OG and Ellis will take care of the OT/TE. Hope it works out that way. :wink:

19. championjets69

Recheck your stats when you have time. If you are correct & say it is 4 yards do you accept that as productive? Height my man height & if he was to small as you say in college for sure he is to small for the pros. I am sure his size & strenght are reasons why he has never been elected to the pro bowl. Naturally his DF average per tackle would contribute also.

20. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

wow, Ramsey & Bollinger battling for a roster spot... interesting