Rob Ryan vs. Rex Ryan: Who will lead better defense in 2012?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BeastBeach, Jun 26, 2012.

1. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...er-defense-in-2012?module=HP11_content_stream

I felt the results of this were absurd. Let's see the Cowboys actually do it for once... Thoughts?

2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Scouts and Executives, I could have told you the results before you asked the questions the Jets are the most hated team in the NFL because of Rex's bravado.

3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I think most of the arguments are valid. The Jets have nobody like Ware to apply pressure and the Cowboys have an improved secondary, although its hard to depend on a rookie DB (Revis wasn't great his first year).

However, I also agree with the arguments that Rex is a better coach and that the Jets are more physical. Plus the Jets are in year 4 of the Ryan defense whereas the Cowboys are only in year 2. That's a big advantage to the Jets, as is the personnel to switch between defensive fronts (3-4, 4-3, 4-2-5, 46, etc).

But at the end of the day these are just opinions and opinions are like assholes....everybody has one and they all stink. Let's prove it on the field.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Rob could have his pic of ANY 11 defensive players and Rex would still beat him. Mind over matter.

5. Jets are significantly better in the secondary. Claibourne hasn't played a single down. Cromartie/Revis is better than anything the Cowboys have.

Cowboys have the better starting front 7...but the Jets may have a better overall group due to sub package players. Additionally, I'd give the Cowboys the edge at DL...but that could change by week 1 depending on Mo wilk,Coples & Ellis's development under Dunbar.

These 2 defenses are built very differently & the 2 brother's schemes are alot different than one would think.

Keep on hating NFL! Keep fueling those Jets

6. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

I laughed when I read this article.

"5. NFC Scout: "Aside from [Darrelle] Revis, the Cowboys' secondary is much better and deeper than the Jets'. Also, the Cowboys have that one special rusher (Ware) that the Jets lack." Pick: Cowboys"

Lol.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I bet if Rob was given the choice between his D lead by Ware and Rex's D led by Revis Rob would take Rex's D 7 days a week.

8. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Yea theres is 0 chance the Cowboys have a deeper secondary. Revis, Cromartie, KW are much better then their corners. Both of our safeties kind of suck. They make it seem like we haven't had top 5 defenses the last 3 years.

9. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Fuck em jets all the way baby

10. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

That's pretty funny right there.

11. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I'm surprised it was a landslide like that. I could see reasons one would think one coach over the other but I wasn't expecting so many people to choose one over the other.

Seems like from the comments of the scouts, they believe the Cowboys improvement in the draft is much greater than the Jets improvement. In fact it seems like the Jets didn't even draft anyone. I do think the Cowboys' secondary improvement is being overrated.

They both could be top 10 defenses, but I would lean towards to Rex over Rob just because of track record. Rex has put together a top 5 defense here the last 3 years I think. I think it is also hard to argue the Jets defensive players got worse, so unless there are major injuries we should be fine. Also, isn't Rex going to take more control of the defense again after last year? He said he was trying too much to give his coordinators responsiblity or something like that

12. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

Can someone please explain to me how the jets defense is old? Other then safety and Bart Scott? This is a reoccurring theme. How can they say we have no one to replace this supposedly aging defense, when we have drated that side of the ball in at least the first 3 rounds the last 2 years? There is nothing any one could say to change my mind on this subject.

13. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

because calvin pace, byran thomas, and sione pouha are pretty old. all on the wrong side of 30

14. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Pouha, pace, and Thomas too. We have a pretty good blend of vets and young talent.

15. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

As pointed out earlier, I love how it says "aside from Revis" as if he doesn't count.

16. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

If a defense has a dominant player in the secondary, it's easier to avoid him than it is if he's one of the front seven. I think that's why most of the people polled here took Ware and the Cowboys over Revis and the Jets.

Can't really go wrong with either choice though. They should both be very solid, top 10 defenses.

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Pretty stunned by that. I'd take our secondary over theirs.

Both should be top 10.

18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Only twice in has Rex Ryan had his D finish outside the top 6 in the NFL-- as an assistant (where his impact was certainly less) as a coordinator, or as a HC.

1994 Cardinals --3rd Assistant LBs, DL
    1995 Cardinals --26th* Assistant LBs, DL
    1999 Ravens -- 2nd DL
    2000 Ravens -- 2nd DL
    2001 Ravens -- 2nd DL
    2002 Ravens -- 22nd* DL
    2003 Ravens -- 3rd DL
    2004 Ravens -- 6th DL
    2005 Ravens -- 5th DC
    2006 Ravens -- 1st DC
    2007 Ravens -- 6th DC
    2008 Ravens -- 2nd DC
    2009 Jets -- 1st HC
    2010 Jets -- 3rd HC
    2011 Jets -- 5th HC

So I'm not real worried about it...

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

Wow thats pretty shocking... I find it pretty funny how they expect their secondary to be better than ours. Its kind of laughable. The only player I see that has a significant spread on the cowboys defense from ours is D Ware; I would say we have them everywhere else or at least damn close.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yeah, that's ridiculously funny. No chance they are deeper at CB than us. That's like saying, "aside from Ware" the Cowboys defensive line isn't as deep as the Jets. LOLz lets pretend Cromartie isn't better than all of their CBs, let alone Revis.