RIVERS, GATES & other CHARGERS call LT to apologize, wish him luck!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVIS ISLAND 619, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Vic

Vic Member

LaDainian Tomlinson revives career with New York Jets, inspired by birth of son Daylen Oliver

BY MANISH MEHTA
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, January 19th 2011, 4:00 AM

A year after LaDainian Tomlinson reached a career crossroads, the greatest running back of this generation is smiling again. Tomlinson's tears at his farewell press conference in San Diego last February were followed by a life-changing chapter of his life that began with the birth of his son, Daylen Oliver, and may end with a championship that he has chased for a decade.

"This is the happiest he's been in the last two years," Torsha Tomlinson says of her husband. "Everyone keeps talking about the L.T. of old or vintage L.T. in a production sense. I'm saying that from a personality sense. He's carefree and happy. He's back to the L.T. of old, which I love."

Tomlinson found peace far away from the Southern California sunshine. During a season tinged with drama and controversy, Tomlinson provided an inspirational voice for the Jets. He spoke from the heart, spoke from experience and spoke like a man bent on proving every last doubter wrong.

"I never questioned that I could do it," Tomlinson told the Daily News in the run-up to the AFC Championship Game against the Steelers on Sunday. "I had bad luck with injuries, but I never questioned that I could stay healthy. I think it was proving it to people on the outside - and maybe even proving it to the coaches on this staff and the guys on this team that I could."

From his emotional speech sprinkled with motivational passages from Vince Lombardi a few days before the season opener to his moving pregame, on-field message to his teammates in Foxborough this past Sunday that "you have to be willing to die" for a win, Tomlinson has made a lasting impact.

Tomlinson bounced back from a forgettable final season with the Chargers that included career lows in rushing yards, carries and yards per carry to become an integral part of the Jets' success. The 31-year-old running back led the team in rushing and total yards as he moved into sixth place on the NFL's all-time rushing list.

"Sometimes you can jump to conclusions and not be accurate," says Marty Schottenheimer, who coached Tomlinson in San Diego from 2002-2006. "He's still a winning performer. He elevates the people around him."

Along the way, the future first-ballot Hall of Famer never cut corners and kept everyone grounded.

"A lot of young guys around here think you go to the playoffs every year," right guard Brandon Moore says. "He keeps things in perspective to help guys understand that these opportunities don't happen every year. So make the most of it."

2. REVIS ISLAND 619

REVIS ISLAND 619 New Member

PAGE 2 CONT...

He provided perspective to his teammates, in part, because of his newfound personal perspective. Six months ago, the Tomlinsons became parents for the first time after a five-year struggle that included a stillbirth in 2005.

The running back's fire still burns, but his son has changed him. Poor performances on the field don't linger like they used to.
    "Coming home and seeing Daylen softens the blow," Torsha says. "He's happy to see his father all the time. Win or lose, Daylen doesn't care. It's kind of hard when you come home to a happy, smiling, caring baby to still be depressed about a loss."

Daylen's birth also helped his dad deal with some of the critical comments by former Chargers teammates Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates this summer. Rivers said it was "a little bit of a relief" that Tomlinson, a former NFL Man of the Year, wasn't around anymore. Gates intimated that Tomlinson set himself apart from the rest of the team as his role in the offense diminished.

Rivers, Gates and other Chargers players have since reached out to Tomlinson to apologize for their remarks. Tomlinson, of course, was instantly accepted by the Jets.
    He mentored Shonn Greene and helped Mark Sanchez's growth by providing the second-year quarterback with a viable pass-catching threat out of the backfield. His new teammates gravitated toward him from his first day in green and white. The players awarded the veteran running back with the team's Dennis Byrd Award given to the most inspirational teammate.

"It seems like here in this locker room, on this team, with these guys and these coaches, it just fits," Torsha says. "It's more comfortable for him to take that role. When he does open his mouth, he's saying something of substance."
    The journey is almost over. Whether the Jets' season ends in Pittsburgh on Sunday or in Dallas in a couple of weeks, Tomlinson thanks God every day for leading him to the Jets. He signed a two-year contract in the offseason, but admits that he doesn't know what his future holds. A lockout looms.
    Tomlinson recently joked that he had a retirement age in mind, but he hasn't even revealed that number to his wife.

None of that matters right now. Tomlinson has found happiness far from San Diego and his native Texas.
    His wife has learned to love the snow that blankets their New Jersey backyard. He doesn't mind shoveling it, either.

Most importantly, his son was born here. The kid who can't stop pumping his legs in his playpen has forever changed his old man.
    Daylen Tomlinson is too young to remember his father's surreal season, but that hasn't stopped the running back from teaching him the most important lesson of all: Never stop believing in yourself.
    "I want him to always be able to be proud of his pop," Tomlinson says in a quiet moment. "When he looks back at the archives one day, I want him to say, 'My pop kept fighting. It seemed like he was down, but he kept fighting.' That's what it's all about."

3. jetsmets93

jetsmets93 Member

nevermind... missed page 2

4. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

LT has been fantastic for us. Although, I am still waiting for him to break a big run. Wouldnt it be something for him to bust a long one to push us through to the super bowl? Or even better, the one that wins us a ring?

God Sunday can't get here soon enough!

5. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

LT is a classy guy who deserves a ring. I am thrilled that he has been successful this year and cant wait to watch him play for the Jets again next year.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

.......edit

7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that thinks LT could retire if we win it all this year? I'm probably wrong but just a feeling. Anyway I wish he had 8 minutes today..

8. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

He might, but he seems like a guy that worked hard to prove his doubters wong, and if healthy, I think he will come back for another year.

Then, hopefully the Jets add him as a HB coach, or some other role, after his career is over..

9. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

LT has a great nose for the 1st down marker. How many times has he caught a pass well short of the marker and turned it into a first down?

10. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

It will definitely cross his mind. I wouldn't be surprised.

I think he will give it at least one more year though if the jets win it all.

I think he really loves playing for this team and not have the pressure to do everything.

If he has a ring then its really how his body feels.

11. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I agree. I think he'll be fine to play as our #2 RB for another year yet after this. I hope he stays.

12. Jets4life1190

Jets4life1190 Banned

LT and Jason Taylor could possibly retire if we win a ring this year

13. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I think JT retires no matter what after this year. He has never seen this deep a playoff run, and while he wants a ring, I think he realizes his body is done. That doesnt mean he won't be sacrificing it for the next 3 weeks, because he definately will be.

LT I assume will play next year. but if we win a ring, he will definately consider retiring on top. Not many greats get a chance to do so, and it would be sweet to see that happen in Green and White.

14. REVIS ISLAND 619

JT most likely is one and done regardless. LT looks rejuvenated, I think he's got more in the tank. It's pretty nice havin' a former MVP push the organization in the right path as the all the youngsters develop more & ring up more experience. I hope he stays.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Barring a lockout, LT will return next year. Even if he gets his ring this year, he's only 260 yards away from Jerome Bettis and moving into the Top 5 on the all time rushing list. I can't imagine he leaves without cracking that list. It'll be bittersweet, though, if he has 700+ yards next year and passes Curtis Martin.

16. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for him to run a circle route and haul in a Sanchez pass down the sidelines for 70 yards just as he did in the first play of camp. I've been waiting to see that play all season long.

Maybe it's being saved for the Packers in Dallas :wink:

17. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

If the Jets win the SB, does LT go into the Hall as a Jet?

18. REVIS ISLAND 619

Cmon man, think about that question one more time. He's what Jeter is to the Yanks, what Gwynn is to the Pads.

Does C-Mart go into the hall as a Pat? Eh...no

His bust will say the Jets on it tho....so some consolation to it lol

19. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

rholt: Doesn't really work that way in Canton; its not like the MLB where the players are wearing a cap with a logo. There will be a list of teams he played for under his bust, and the Jets will be on it. Same deal with Brett Favre (ugh).