Right Tackle?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by laxin, Jan 8, 2013.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

In Rex's awesome presser earlier today, he had high praise for Austin Howard and his progress. This leaves me to question if someone like Lewan would even be a target? I understand that he would most likely be BPA, but with the way this organization is run Im starting to doubt we go in that direction.

(Btw, I dont really agree with this, its just what Im starting to think this organization [Rex] at least thinks; and we all know that Rex gets what he wants)

2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I threw up in my mouth when he made that comment.

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

Haha, same with me. I seriously cant believe this organization... But at the same time I can because its the Jets. Its simply what they do.

Im with you if Lewan is at 9, you take him and kick Howard inside. But since Rex rules this organization, it doesn't look like thats an option.

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

My fucking head might explode if 2 of our first 4 picks are not spent on the OL.

We obviously have pressing needs but our OL is a disgrace to the word disgrace.

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

Ha I would love nothing more than a Lewan - Warford draft in the first two rounds or even Warmack in the 1st and Kyle Long in the 3rd. I am seriously doubting it though. Nothing that seems to be obvious, is obvious to the people running this franchise.

6. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I honestly can't figure out what you guys have against Howard. He played pretty god damn good this year, and a lot of his sacks given up were do to coverage or the quarterback bailing on the protection.

ls he perfect? of course not, for all intensive purposes, this is his rookie season.

7. BronxJet

BronxJet Banned

Every now and then an NFL team has a guy come out of nowhere and perform at a high level and jets fans asks "why can't guys like that play for us"?

Well, believe it or not Howard is one of those guys.

He played well and improved as the season wore on and definitely earned another shot considering his youth and inexperience.

Please understand this fact: A first round pick probably wouldn't step in and play any better than Howard did. If we drafted a lineman and he played like Howard we would all be hopeful and satisfied for now, but since we didnt sacrifice anything of course some take him for granted.

Lets not forget that Vlad was also essentially our best guard this year. He has come a long way from Hardknocks but some still have the image of him getting owned burned in their mind. If you actually saw him play, you would see a powerful guard who finally started to realize his potential.

Vlad played a third of all snaps or so, we saw maybe 5 games worth of football out of him and he's ready. I'm glad we evaluated the guy.

I'm perfectly fine with Vlad, slauson and Howard next season. Upgrade the known weakness (weapons) and if the line fails, they'll make good depth in the future.

8. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I agree about Howard, but not about Vlad. Either way, would you be okay with drafting Warmack?

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Vlad was a beast this year well by his terms anyway

Vlad will be starting at Guard next year for sure, he's come a long way

10. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Howard was solid at RT for the most part but we need a good RT with out a doubt. We need a few Linemen As well as a pass rusher and a few play makers on O. This draft is gonna be fucking interesting to say the least.

11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Howard was below average but he was an improvement over what we had before.

What if he (or even worse Brick) gets hurt though?

Who do we have to keep our starting QB from getting sacked 11+ times per game if Howard goes down?

Lewan or Matthews gives us a bookend tackle to pair with Brick that will open lanes in the running game, push defenders a couple yards down field, and buy our QB more time to get rid of the ball (without getting creamed). More importantly, if Brick went down our new tackle could cover LT and Howard could come off the bench to play RT.

Take the BAP unless it is a CB. If RT is BAP, grab him and don't look back.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Sure Howard improved...... he didn't have anywhere else to go but up. Serviceable player, that should be kept for depth if a better replacement is found.

I also want 2 linemen in this draft. Time to pick Moore's replacement now as the cliff is near

13. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Unfortunately if Matthews does go back to school like has been reported, I don't see a tackle being worth of the #9 pick being available. Joekel is a sure bet to go top 5 and I don't see how Lewan makes it past Arizona. If either of those guys were to drop it's a no brainer but I don't see it happening.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I think most of the people that hang around the draft forum year round are with ya. With a big lack of skill position players worth taking high and very good oline depth, this is the year to rebuild our line. Now if we can just get a staff in place to see what style of blocking scheme is up next. :breakdance:

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I see that as being true. At that point, if we do not see an edge rusher worthy of the pick, I throw the supposed positional value out and grab Warmack. He is seen as a mid first value. Often mocked from 13 to 20. He would greatly up grade our line so I'm not letting a few positions of value keep me from vastly improving the offense.

16. TheCoolerGlennFoley

Agreed 100%. Key will be figuring out if an edge rusher will be worth of the pick. I think there's a good chance this winds up being Dion Jordan vs Warmack, at least in TGG debates.

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

That would be a good healthy debate indeed. My fear is that.if last years rumors of RyAn loving Bruce Irving are true, we may go after Mingo. :sad:

Edit: then again, being able to say "Perhaps the Mingo ate your baby" would be enough comedy to make me forgive them.

18. I only want the Jets to go RT in round 1 if the plan is to get more mobile up front & pass more.

If we are still gonna be a run first offense..might as well stick w/ Howard. My thought process is that you need your RT to be able to anchor the running game above all else..which Howard can do. Very rarely do you find a RT who not only can anchor & consistently provide a clean pocket.

Howard is still young player we've seen make strides. He's limited as a pass protector but so are alot of Right tackles in this league.

I know everybody loves the idea of the Jets drafting OL every single season..but that doesn't always equate to success. Frankly outside of Warmak/Joeckel none of the available OL prospects peak my interest as top 15 type options.

19. RYan liked Irvin b/c of his rare closing speed & ability to put on weight. I think he'll see through Mingo. Mingo lacks closing speed, bend & is an odd body type.

20. TheCoolerGlennFoley

Lewin is up there and very worth a top 10 pick, let alone top 15. But you're exactly right, outside of those top 3 guys anyone else would be a reach.

The issue then becomes what guy drops to the 2nd round. Guys like Jonathon Cooper, DJ Fluker, Barrett Jones, Larry Warford etc would be great picks at that spot but no guarantee they last until then.