Right Guard - Right Tackle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJalltheway, Aug 26, 2016.

1. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I've looked all over the forum for talk about this issue, but have hardly read a whisper about it.

The Jets seemingly have a growing problem on the right side of the offensive line.

Now we know that Breno Giacomini is likely to start the season on the PUP list. Brian Winters is an awful guard, and is slated to start. So that begs the obvious questions. Who will start at these 2 positions?

I suppose Winters is the only logical choice for RG, but has anyone heard anything about any of the guys in camp showing him up and challenging for the spot?

With the RT position likely up for grabs for the season opener, who will win that battle? According to the best depth chart site I know of, (ourlads.com) Ben Ijalana is slated to be next man up. Any word on how he's looked thus far? Any improvement since last year?

I just hope there are some decent quality starters at final cuts.

I know this could possibly go in the positions battle thread, but I feel like this is the weakest area of the team, and could use it's own discussion.

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Actually a great thread topic considering the fact that games are won within the trenches.

We'll have to wait and see how they perform on the field but just the other day Todd Bowles was asked to name his most improved player. He gave two names. Buster Skrine & Brian Winters.

Hearing/reading Winters name being mentioned from our head coach as one of our most improved players was music to my ears although whenever I think about our RG position I instantly miss the days of Brandon Moore locking up that position. Moore was truly one of the most underrated Jets I can recall.

SonofDinger likes this.
  3. NYJalltheway

He really was. It was brutal losing him. It's been too long since the Jets struck gold with an undrafted pick, or even mid round pick on the offensive line.

4. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Ijalana and who knows

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Bowles just said Winters was the most improved player on the team.....hmmmmm

6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm, what?

He mentioned Skrine and Winters as improved

7. NYJalltheway

I don't stare at the OL play too much during the play, but I have noticed Winters getting beat a few times.

Then again, sometimes you only notice the negatives.

8. Walt White

Winters is the starting RG. Ijalana or Qvale will most likely start the season at RT.

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

Good points. Hopefully Winters can emerge and come into his own because at the age of only 25 he could be here for a while. Allowing us to put most of our front office focus on a future Center to groom & develop for once Mangold walks away.

Being drafted in 2013 he's now played in 38 games with 28 starts. I'm just taking a wait & see approach and find it intriguing how Bowles considers Winters as one of our two most improved players this offseason.

The offensive lineman I'm most focused on is Ryan Clady. After 10 years of Ferguson never missing a snap it's urgent that Clady not only returns to form but also remains healthy. If so, we're looking at a Franchise LT with literally Hall of Fame pass protection ability.

10. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Ijalana and Qvale have had good PS games so far ... Doizier is on the bubble hope Shell, and Harrison step up !

11. Jetsfansince95

I think Winters will be a solid C once Mangold retires as others have stated ...

12. Walt White

Looks like Harrison is low on the totem pole and a PS candidate, he actually lined up at RT last game late. Johnson gets the nod over Dozier. Shell looks like he saw some good action. Hopefully they scored with him.

Maybe Ijalana/Qvale keep Giaco on the bench when he returns....become an upgrade.

Colon talks up Giaco a lot. Giaco brings toughness and scrappiness. He's ornery.

The unit on the whole did well last year.

13. NYJalltheway

It just feels like there's so many maybe guys on the team. Somebody has to step up you would think right?

14. Jetsfansince95

I agree with you on Johnson.

15. IsmokePot

IsmokePot Active Member

If Winters is going to be this very solid center as everyone says over and over, why haven't we tried a Winters at C Mangold RG look? Nick could certainly handle it. I think this Winters will be a very solid center talk is fantasyland type stuff.

Oh and lol nyalltheway.....about not watching the o line during the play. What do you focus on? Fitz? Powell? Other teams D? But in all seriousness watching this line last season shaved a few years off my life, looking away might be a good idea if that continues.

KurtTheJetsFan and Centiment like this.
  16. NYJalltheway

Mainly the OL as a whole for the first 3 seconds, then what the qb does to avoid pressure.

I'm just getting nervous teams will stack their best pass rushers on that side, and rape every run, and pass attempt.

17. Jetsfansince95

I'm not going to lie I need to learn how to watch linemen better my eyes stick to the QB like glue

18. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I just wrote about this a couple weeks ago in the thread "Any Looming Cuts at OL that the Jets can still pick up?"

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not so certain that Winters is going to be the good center that some here think he will be. Even if so, I wouldn't move an Pro Bowl C to RG to make room for him. I don't think Mangold would be all that successful at RG. He's undersized, and doesn't exactly manhandle NTs one one one anyway.

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Quality offensive linemen dont get cut