Rich kid, poor kid...whose hungrier?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Aug 24, 2017.

1. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

After previously stating in a post that Adams may not be as hungry as we need him to be because he comes from money, i began to wonder if that thought could be proven.
    Im wondering, of all the pros who became HOFers or at least very good players in their respective sports...how many were from wealthy families v poor families.
    Pick a HOFer or really good player and let's see what you can find.

Examples...
    Stockton, Curry, Thompson, Kobe...wealthy families.
    Jordan, Bird, Lebron...poor.

Dan Marino poor/blue collar.
    Jim Brown. ..poor.
    Mannings...wealthy.
    Cam Chancellor...poor.

Historically/statistically , who becomes the most successful pros, or is there no correlation at all??

boozer32 likes this.
  2. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

If winning a championship is his ultimate goal from this then no, no correlation IMO. Hungry for success is different from being hungry to get your family straight. Kid is an alpha, I think he loves this shit and is hungry to be great!

#2 JetLifeLo, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  3. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion but maybe not the right place for it. Maybe I'm wrong tho. I hope I'm wrong.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

I'm more than happy to apologize for that comment. In the event anyone gives a shit about my comment.

Freddy Mondo and Peebag like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that saying Adams isn't hungry because he comes from money and won't be a great player for us is stupid on the level of a moron.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Man you are quick to call people stupid.

fansince90 and JetLifeLo like this.
  7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Has his hunger to play ever actually been in question? Seems like he's very vocal and excited when on the field. I dont know how we can actually evaluate his hunger, anyway. I dont believe I've seen him take plays off.

He just had a bad game. Hopefully he improves as time goes on.

fansince90 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't call him stupid. I called his claiming that Adams won't be a good player because he comes from money (what he said) stupid. Smart people can and do say stupid things. I have no clue whether 90 is smart, stupid or somewhere in between and don't care, but that assertion is totally stupid imo.

NYJetsO12 and JetsNation06 like this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

First you have to define" coming from money" and "hungry"
    I'm assuming hungry equals a desire to be the best he can be.
    Coming from money usually indicates wealth, being set financially.
    Where is this report that Adams comes from money coming from?
    His father played in the NFL but not for long, lost a lawsuit against the Giants to recover lost salary and didn't earn very much money at all.
    He comes from a middle class area in Texas.
    If you look at the landscape of professional sports across decades or more. They have always been dominated by minorities" poor" Players.
    It stands to reason as athletics tend to be the only chance many have to change their futures. Lack of education, lack of opportunities available to more wealthy people are not available.
    I think where you will see a noticeable difference between hungry players and those who are only in it for the money is after they sign a second contract.
    The players who are in it for the $ tend to regress once paid.
    The players who want to be the best continue to work hard to get better, even after getting paid.
    Adams, since his first day in rookie camp has shown nothing but Hunger.
    I don't get the OPs Line of reason.

Freddy Mondo, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. fansince90

Well written and thought out response but my focus was on obtaining wealth not the status that comes with being elite at your chosen sport. Indeed those are 2 different circumstances and thats why i love rookie contracts. Although there is no guarantee an elite athlete will maintain there status after a big pay day i believe it still took a great deal of grit and determination to get to that point. So for at least 4 years, if the goal is money...a team may get maximum effort from that kind of guy.
    Wealthy kids may in fact have a more pure love for their game being that their goal is greatness/camaraderie etc. and not money because they already have it. As i write this i realize from coaching and playing in urban cities where most of us dont come from money, drive and perserverance can be taught but its usually an internal characteristic of an individual. So many great athletes from meager beginnings lack those qualities so when the going gets tough their abilities are never actualized.
    With that said i can conclude that athletes whether they are from poor families or rich all have different motivations and there may be no way to generalize how success is obtained.

11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Historically speaking, you think of the poor person as the one who will scratch and claw and do whatever it takes to succeed. However if you get to the ultimate level of any profession (the NFL in this case) then you obviously have a built in hunger and drive that's made you successful thus far. So for that reason, this thread is really a stretch and kind of silly.

12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

It was a silly premise since there are poor athletes that succeed and there are poor athletes that waste talent, likewise some wealthy athletes succeed while others don't. The OP also made no effort to check whether the athletes he mentioned were actually poor or wealthy. He called Stockton wealthy but his father ran a saloon in Washington. He called Jordan poor when he grew up middle class. If you can't even determine who actually grew up rich or poor, how can he even go any further.

13. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Curtis Martin came from the projects, enough said.

jetophile likes this.
  14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

You beat me. He also found his grandmother dead with a knife sticking out of her chest. What a failure at life Curtis Martin turned out to be. It disgusts me, quite frankly.

Jets69 likes this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If their only goal is to get rich, then they may well just have to play well for 3-5 seasons and that will be enough in the bank for a poor person to feel rich enough to go out and enjoy their life and spend what they have earned.

Maybe this can be as much a problem as a rich person not having supposed hunger in the belly.

I also don't think this applies to Adams though and he will be a star in the making.

16. fansince90

I was the 3rd starter 5 games into my freshman year in college. Both players ahead of me had much more speed and they both ran track in high school. I was overlooked for 2 guys who couldn't ball. At the end of the season i was tied with the senior FS for the most interceptions on the team. I had 5 picks in 6 starts. My point is not all of the best players make it or are given equal opportunities. Sometimes physical attributes alone is why some players are given more opportunities than players with lesser measurements. Wayne Chrebet/Quinton Coples.
    So my comments are not silly...the premise has been discussed by many people over the years.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I hear one of the Jets Cheerleaders is considering a marriage proposal from Adams if he plays well

Now THATS motivation ...ahahahaha

BTW every time the Jets play i get very hungry...often raiding the fridge 2 or 3 times

#17 NYJetsO12, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Freddy Mondo likes this.
  18. fansince90

You may be right about Jordan but Stockton was middle class from a nice neighborhood, nice home, supportive family etc. May not have been rich but he never missed a meal or had to wear hand me downs.

19. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

So wealthy equals middle class and poor equals middle class, got it.

Jets69 likes this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Might be some validity to this discussion.