Rex to be on CenterStage

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jaywayne12, May 6, 2011.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of Kay...but he does a great job on this show...Im really looking forward to this.

I also like the fact of the progression from inury from Ropati Pitoitua, which is mentioned in the bottom of the article.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/rex_media_was_key_play_vs_belichick_DuN0VYldOyPn51llhGhGsO

On the latest stop on his book tour yesterday, a taping of the YES Network's "CenterStage," Rex Ryan admitted his decision to turn the week leading up to the Jets' AFC divisional playoff game against the Patriots into a matchup between himself and Bill Belichick was a calculated one.

"That whole week, I never wanted it to be about that 45-3 game," said Ryan, referring to his team's regular-season loss at New England. "And I knew if I didn't do something, [the media] would be talking about it with our players, and I never wanted that negative thought to creep into their minds.

"There certainly was a method behind it, and I told [Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum] after we win the game, I was gonna say that I was wrong, that it had nothing to do with me and Belichick. Because if it did, Belichick would win, because he's that kind of coach."

PHOTOS: NEW YORK PICKS

PHOTOS: DRAFT PICKS OF OPPONENTS

Ryan, whose team beat the Pats 28-21 to reach the AFC title game, once said he didn't come to the Jets to kiss Belichick's Super Bowl rings. Yesterday, he went out of his way to praise the Patriots coach, whom Ryan said he has used as a measuring stick ever since he took the Jets job before the 2008 season.

"I don't think he is [great], I know he is," Ryan said. "He's the best coach that I've ever seen. I know the way he motivates his team, all these types of things . . . you don't luck into three Super Bowls, and I don't know how many he's had as an assistant coach. This guy is a phenomenal coach."

Ryan also addressed his obsession with the Super Bowl, which he has gone out of his way to state as his goal every year at every possible opportunity. He said that after winning the Super Bowl as a defensive line coach with the Ravens in 2000, his lust for winning another ring has only grown.

"The reason I think I chase the Super Bowl so much is because once you get a ring . . . it's unbelievable, the feeling of being called a world champion. You're a Super Bowl champion. It's even better than you can imagine, and that's why I keep chasing it."

Ryan has even thought about what his next ring will look like.

"It's gonna be gaudy," Ryan said to laughter from the crowd.

The show will air next Friday at 11 p.m., following YES' coverage of the Yankees-Red Sox game . . . Ryan also said that defensive lineman Ropati Pitoitua, who was highlighted during "Hard Knocks" last summer before injuring his Achilles tendon, is "doing fantastic." Ryan said to expect Pitoitua to be "ready to go this season."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets...elichick_DuN0VYldOyPn51llhGhGsO#ixzz1LaO6nUnJ

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Nice. I'll DVR that.

3. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

rex was just on sean hannity fox news lol. pretty good interview. alot more football related.

4. 624

624 Banned

Rex is everywhere

5. Bricket-head

Bricket-head Active Member

That's being a great coach right there.

6. floridajet

floridajet Member

As much as Rex is hated by opposing NFL teams fans - I love him! I've always been a very proud Jets fan, and it is great to see someone who cares as much about my team leading it!

7. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Rex is hated by opposing NFL Fans but most would love him as their Head Coach.
    :beer:

8. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

So how was the interview?

9. jaywayne12

It says next Friday Badge...I believe its this Friday coming up.

Like or hate M. Kay..the guy does a great job interviewing people on that show..my favorite out of all the people I have seen attempt it...really looking forward to it.

I will do a quick search..but I believe I dvr'd it already for this coming Friday.

The way he does his show..he starts out with him just growing up and playing football and always has a way of stunning his guests with stories he has found out through research. Its his true calling card. Rex will throw out stuff that night that will blow people away Im sure.

Let me check.

10. jaywayne12

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/5329/rex-ryan-takes-centerstage

“Not really,” said Ryan, backstage after a taping for an episode of "CenterStage" slated to debut on May 13 at 11 p.m.

The article:
    Rex Ryan gave 21 interviews on just Wednesday alone. Since starting his media tour to promote his book, “Play Like You Mean It,” Ryan has been on a promotions blitz that has included everything from "Late Night with David Letterman" to Comedy Central’s "Colbert Report" to "CenterStage" with Michael Kay.

It raises the question -- Is the Jets coach really that interesting?

“Not really,” said Ryan, backstage after a taping for an episode of "CenterStage" slated to debut on May 13 at 11 p.m.

As much as Giants and Patriots fans are tired of hearing him, Ryan added, “I’m tired of hearing myself.”

Still, the CenterStage episode is long enough to allow Ryan more than a Super Bowl guarantee and a snack reference.

He had him time, for example, to talk about what a little troublemaker he was growing up in Toronto, his paper routes and fledgling baseball career.

Ellen Wallop/YES Network

As much as Giants and Patriots fans are tired of hearing him, Ryan added, “I’m tired of hearing myself.”

There was an elephant in the room, however, when Ryan talked about his wife, Michelle, and what life has been like for them in the limelight. For a man who has made everything so public, refusing to reference what is perhaps the most notorious moment of his career as Jets coach is a glaring omission.

Here are some of the highlights:

• Ryan is an advocate of the lap-band surgery that has helped him lose 65 pounds. He said he talked to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell about it, as a potential boost to player health in a big league. “If we really want to help these guys after football, we give these linemen the opportunity of having this surgery done.”

• When the Jets were looking for a head coach and Ryan was a candidate, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and head of PR Bruce Speight decided that, in order to do their homework on Ryan, each Jet department head would call their counterpart at the Ravens to find out more -- from the video department to the grounds crew. ”The reason I got the job is there wasn’t one negative comment, and I spent 10 years there,” Ryan said.

• Yes, calling out Patriots coach Bill Belichick before the playoff meeting last season was a pre-planned distraction. But you knew that already.

• An altercation with another person as a Ravens assistant compelled the Jets to administer a pre-hire psychological test to Ryan with security head Steve Yarnell. Ryan seemed a bit chagrined that this was brought up.

• In another shot at the Giants, when talking about his Super Bowl ring as defensive coordinator with the Ravens, Ryan kept up the squabble about who runs New York. “I never realized I won that ring according to Justin Tuck,” Ryan said.

• Rex Ryan was 45 minutes late to his first job interview with Jets owner Woody Johnson. Luckily for Ryan, while Johnson waited, Ravens majority owner Steve Bisciotti tried to sell him on the defensive coordinator.

• Ryan got the Ravens job because then-coach Brian Billick saw him give two coaching clinics, one to 5,000 people and another to just four. Ryan said when Billick saw he was equally passionate no matter the crowd, that’s when Billick resolved to give Ryan a job.

• A high-school age Ryan used this pickup line on a Playboy bunny: “You must be from Heaven because you look like an angel to me.” It worked. Ratchet up the degree-of-difficulty due to the fact that they met at a roller rink and he was on skates at the time.

• He proposed to his wife Michelle over the phone, and her engagement ring was $285. It’s since been upgraded.

• So far, the best moment of the media tour has been chatting with actor Bill Murray backstage at Letterman.

• Jets DE Ropati Pitoitua, who was out for the season after sustaining an achilles injury during a preseason game, as detailed in HBO’s "Hard Knocks," is “doing fantastic.” Ryan said, “Expect him to be ready to go this season.”

• Ryan said he wasn’t ready to let Jets assistant coach Bill Callahan go when other teams came calling. And Ryan isn’t sure when he will be. “Will we let him go or not?” Ryan asked. “At that time there was no chance and I think he understands that.”

• Can he imagine any other current NFL coach writing a book and promoting it? Say, Belichick? “You know he’s not going to do these,” Ryan said. “His book would be short though.”

#10 jaywayne12, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  11. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Those 45 minutes could have led to one of the biggest unforeseen mistakes the franchise has ever made.

12. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Rex has been everywhere lately.

Gangsta.

13. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I prefered Ryan over Spags, but I really wanted Cowher or Shanahan. Heh, I'm glad I didn't get what I wanted.

14. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Thread bump. This should be airing any minute now, just waiting for the Yankees post-game show to end.

Edit: It's on!

#14 macbk, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
  15. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I had no idea Rex got the call that he got the job right after the Ravens lost to the Steelers that night. He went on the plane with the team, never telling them he was the new coach of the Jets.

16. sg3

sg3 Banned

stayed up long enough for the 4 hours of baseball to finally end ---set the DVR to record from 11-12 30 so hopefully I got the whole show

Oh and BTW his book is NUMBER 15 on the New York Times nonfiction Best Seller list this Sunday despite Rex properly avoiding an appearance with the fat arrogant putz on the FAN in the PM drive slot

"dat book by Rexz Ryanz iz a flop, folkz becauz he dint apeah wit me"

17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

It was a nice program. Michael Kay is really good at what he does. I realized how much I missed football and Rex's post game interviews.

18. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Well he's not good at everything he does (his radio show is pretty shitty)

19. Drew

Drew Active Member

Re-airs tonight at 10:30 for anyone that missed it.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

its officially on now if you guys wanna catch it again - of course my ass stays in on a Saturday to watch Rex preach the good word