Rex (Staff) Simply outcoached - Examples given to discuss

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rockyusmc2003, Dec 7, 2010.

1. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

I'm sure 500 shit threads went up. But I wanted to break this down. So stop here if you don't want to bother reading.

Once again, Belicheck's mantra has made another head coach piss in his own sock, and try to devise a scheme to beat him.

It's simple. We lost this game, not because we weren't prepared, but because we weren't ourselves. Every side of the ball, whether it's offense or defense or special teams, is all effected by the other. That said, the INSTANT we showed that we're going to go hurry up offense, we lost what we're all about. That first drive in a whole was an utter debauchery.

- Why on earth would you try to run hurry up on a defense ranked close to last in the league? Especially after you moved the balls on them once before, using the Jets blueprint to success? Methodical drive needed in this situation. Eat the clock, keep Brady on the sideline, and get the crowd out of sync. This is a good idea if you do it week 1, you can't reinvent the wheel week 13 (against the best team in the league). I know, they wanted "shock and awe", but that's not our game.

- Why would you want Brady on the field more? Short ineffective offensive drive=less defensive rest=Brady picking them apart (with excellent field position to boot). Not to mention we blitz more than 50 percent of the game. Hurry offense doesn't equate to our brand of defense.

- No reason to challenge a call if you're going to go for it if you lose the challenge anyways. Play Jets football, punt, and pin them deep. First signs of Rex being emotional and not thinking it out.

- Again, 53 yard field goal attempt in a stadium that has inconsistent swirling winds, and your kicker has missed 5 of his last 10. If you want to make a statement that bad, go for the first down. Odds were against him making this FG from the moment they sent him on the field. (I think we need someone else personally, Folk's leg is looking weak. He definitely over kicked that attempt, which pulled it. Story for another day, no one better really anyways.)

All that said..I could end the game right there and know we weren't playing to our strengths. I could go on, but it's not necessary, nor do we need a thesis on the game.

My point is this, don't dwell on this game, learn from it. If this teams wants to continue with success, we can't deviate from the plan. Our Offense/Defense/Special Teams are extremely dependent on one another, don't change what we do. I'm surprised Rex did this, since I believed he wanted to remain true to his game. Gimmicks are for losers, "keep it simple stupid"!

Go Jets, rebound and kill the Phins.

2. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Too many things to list that explain why they lost. Coaching is only one of them. Personally, I think we lose that game even playing on all cylinders with a great game plan. When they play like that, the Pats are the best team in the league. When Rex said that the Jets will beat any team playing at their best, etc., that doesn't apply to the Pats right now.... as much as I hate to say it.

This isn't SOJ mentality talking, I think we just ran into a better team last night, and played poorly to boot. We'll catch back up with Miami.

3. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

double post.

4. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I think the hurry-up was all about scoring points early which is something that we have not done effectively at all this year. It was a desperate move and very questionable but I can see the logic for it.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Guys, get a grip it's ONE thing and ONE thing only.

When Woodhead left, he took the entire playbook with him. This staff felt arrogant enough to believe it would not matter, and we could simply out execute NE with that disadvantage.
    (P.S...how sad is it that not a single member of the press corps even asked that question)

They won't make that mistake again.

Hopefully we luck out, and NE goes to Chicago thinking they are as good as they looked last night, and we take it out on Miami.

6. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

thats a pretty fair assessment

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I did not mind the hurry up to start the game, it was a good way to shake things up and try to get the offense going early. The rest of the game was terrible, the FG attempt, the defense, etc...

I was happy to see them try something and try to get away from tendencies. But in the end, I think they will go back to the basics, run the ball, control the clock and try to fix that horrific defensive display.

8. rockyusmc2003

I wouldn't mind it either.....Against the Texans, Browns, Lions, Bengals etc.

Point being, you can't try something new against a team of this caliber, week 13. Too much at stake, stick to our guns, and do what we do best.

9. rockyusmc2003

This is partially true. Woodhead divulged tendencies, and calls. He was on the practice squad, so he did get to see a lot of this team. I'm sure Bill picked his brain to the max, and it was evident. But, this isn't the lone reason we lost.

10. rockyusmc2003

Possible we lost this game either way. However, not in that fashion. With Rex's personality, I really hope he gets to work. I have a feeling Bill putting his foot on his throat is going to light a fire under Rex's ass. On the flipside, Bill just made himself Rex's "Oh shit" team.

11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

The hurry up to start the game.
    The 3-4 man rush, w/lack of blitzing to start the game.

All signs of a team that was trying not to get destroyed.
    All signs of a team that thought their opponent was better than them.

When you think you're superior, you go in, you play your game and you exploit the other team's weaknesses.

When you think you're inferior, you go in, you do things that aren't characteristic of your team thinking you will throw off the other team. You try something that you normally don't do in order to try to make up for your inefficiencies and get an advantage.

It's like when you see teams go for crazy onside kicks at random times. You rarely see a top tier team do these types of things. It's always a team that feels it's outmatched and has to do something out of the ordinary to try to surprise their opponent to get an advantage.

When I saw those first offensive and defensive sequences unfolded, I knew we were in for a long night.

12. rockyusmc2003

Agree with you 100%. The part that doesn't make much sense to me though is that we already beat them once. Sure, it was 12 weeks ago, but we did it. Their defense has been sub-par all season.

BTW- LT and Green were doing pretty well I thought. 150 yards rushing could have been much more if we just went that route.

13. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Amen ... I really don't want to hear all this armegeddon BS.
    I checked the standings this morning ... 9-3.
    It defintely only counts as one loss.

You saw a very good team play as bad as they could possibly play last night.
    Nothing to do but get over it, get back to doing what we've been doing, and take it out on the Dolphins on Sunday ...
    and hope that we get another shot at NE somewhere down the road.

AND btw ... wouldn't it be ironic if the Bears beat the Pats on Sunday, and suddenly we're tied for 1st again. I'm not ruling it out.

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I didn't mind the hurry up at the beginning.. they were actually moving the ball down the field. The problem is that it wasn't a 2 minute style hurry up where Sanchez runs up to the line and is calling the plays. He kept looking over and waiting to get the play, so it was still the same bullshit plays and stupid routes that Shittenheimer runs over and over.

So even though the Pats may have been on there heels because of the no huddle, they were still ready for all the plays that were being thrown at them.

15. rockyusmc2003

Calling plays at the line with the crowd that loud is another detriment. Nearly impossible, and Mark is no Peyton Manning.

I wouldn't say we were moving the ball that well. We had to go for it on a 4th down, and we got stranded around the 40. If the point was to get a jump start, that drive didn't do it.

16. rockyusmc2003

I'll be at the game! My only fear is that the white collar crew won't show up. Now that their trendy favorite team got smacked in the mouth, they might just stay home. Really, I'd rather they stayed home cause their fucking annoying at the games. But, I hope people fill those seats!

17. rdc2000

rdc2000 New Member

How many comments have we seen here the last few weeks saying they should run the hurry up more, given how well Sanchez performed at the end of all those games. That was not the problem. This loss was on the defense. The Jets aren't going to win a track meet against the Pats...

That said, all the experts said before the game that the Pats had the worst passing defense in the league and the Jets would exploit that. Would be stupid not to. In retrospect, they only way they even might have had a chance was by ball control ground game. A Thomas Jones/Shonne Greene combo might have been able to do that. Not this years backfield..

18. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean you should use it to start the game. It just shows that you're scared. When you're playing Tom Brady, unless you can move the ball like Peyton Manning, then you'd be a fool to use a hurry-up offense at that time. May as well say, hey Brady, come back on the field as quickly as possible so you can make our defense look like a bunch of schoolchildren. Thanks.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Which was very odd actually.

If they run hurry-up style offense, that usually means the first series (or two, depending on the mental capacity of the QB) is scripted, no?

----------------------------------------------

My gripe with this offense is that, the formation may be different, but they do SAME SHIT every time. This has effectively run the rushing attack to the ground recently.

And they never challenge suspect secondary under ANY circumstances. What a way to call the offense.

20. rockyusmc2003

This^^

Running hurry up in desperation mode for a win and running hurry up from the onset against the best QB in football is TOTALLY different.