Rex Ryan on ESPN declared he is a Jets fan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

The phony Greenie the supposed Jets fan has a program in ESPN named Get Up. I never watch it but today I am off work due to Martin Luther King Day and I was flipping channels and saw Rex on it. Not sure if he is a regular guest over there or not. But this is what Rex said just now about Watson.

"Come to the Big Apple right here and be the man. We still celebrate Joe Namath for all those type of years and being a Jets fan, come to the Big Apple"

I really love this guy. We have great memories with him thanks to back to back AFC Champ games. Was a he Jets fan before he became our HC or is it after he coached us?

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m so done living in the past, he can go suck on some toes. Screw Rex and his blowhard statements. Bellicheat didn’t need him to kiss his rings.

How many VLT did Rex bring? The only HC I will ever give credit to is the next guy who wins the VLT that’s it.

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

His dad was the Jets' defensive line coach from '68-'75. My guess is that when Rex became a fan. Just a guess though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JETS1116, Losmeister and Brook! like this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan will always hold a special place In my heart. Those two AFC Championship seasons were fun. I think he was great.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

As much crap as I like to give Rex, he's the only coach we've had besides Parcells to make it feel like the Super Bowl was a real and attainable thing in my adult life as a Jets fan.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Rex was great until he wasn't. His downfall was mostly not living up to all the bravado that came from his ever moving lips. He should have stuck to sucking toes. The players starting gassing themselves up too. Again, good until the reality contradicts the bravado.

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Say what you will about Rex but he loved being NYJs HC and he wasn’t scared of its history, just wish he would’ve finished job against Pitt in 2010.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't think we can complain too much about Rex, given he took the team to AFC finals twice without a good QB and came closest to going to SB since the SB win, which was over 50 years ago. Since then the team went to Conf finals 4 times, two of which was in Rex's 6 year stint. Now, of course it came during his first two years, and it felt like Ryan's bravado, coupled with combination of Sanchez and Geno at QB, caused him to burn out, but it sure was nice to be relevant again in 2009 and 2010.

The good news is that we now we have a coach, who is not unlike Rex in terms of pedigree, passion, ability to get the best out of players, but without that excessive bravado, which ultimately let to Rex's demise. He just needs to get a better QB than Ryan had, and I feel he could achieve Ryan like results or better, and be much better positioned to sustain them.

9. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Hmm. I like Rex. He is half clown. I didn't getthe bile that alotta fans had for him.

I mean, it was time for him to go when he went. All good.

That was 2 fun years as a Jet fan, tho. Split w/ the Pats 2 years in division, win division, win Divsional PO in their house.
    Competitive deep into the 4q in the AFCCG. Not bad.

10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

All of that early success was probably the worst thing that ever happened to Rex, since it apparently convinced him that he didn’t have to grow as a coach, either in terms of schemes (which stopped working) or professionalism (which he never developed). Even now, I’m sure his biggest regret was being too loyal to Sanchez (which was clearly a mistake), rather than being the exact same coach six years later that he was at the beginning.

11. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Greenery is a snake after that Trevor Lawrence fiasco. Total clown. Why isint he talking about Lawrence opting out of Jacksonville? Oh wait it’s not clickbait.

12. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I'm a Rex fan. One thing I hope changes about this franchise going forward is we embrace our past other than Namath. I understand we haven't won anything but I'm tired of players/coaches almost being embarrassed of the time they spent here and fans turning on players/coaches that were here.
    I understand why, there isn't much to be positive about, but I don't hate the guys that used to be here. They didn't get it done but many of them loved being here, loved the fans, and loved the city.

I'd like to see the Jets down the road be more like the Raiders and Steelers where you're almost like an alumni of the team, ya know? We embrace and they can be around the team

13. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

This. So many years being a Jets Fan and getting to two AFC championships is our highlight. He did way more than anyone else has managed. I will always like him and I loved his brashness and bravado. Sad it went south for him but the ride was amazing whilst it lasted and we on another Sunday got to the big one and then who knows.

Ralebird and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The first 2 years of Rex were fun and it felt like the team just might get reach the Super Bowl. But, after that, it was mediocre to bad as the small draft classes(2009 and 2010) which yielded little to nothing started to bite them in the ass. Not to mention, Rex didn't seem willing to change his ways after his schemes became predictable. As bad as the ending was, I wonder what happens if they could stop the Steelers late in the 2010 AFC Championship game.

Losmeister likes this.
  15. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Rex was the best coach we've had in the past 15 years, no doubt. He's got a lot of passion, but not a lot of leadership abilities. He was successful when he had the right people on the team AND when they were all getting along. But if he had the wrong personnel, instead of adapting to fit them, he just tried to force them into roles for which they were unsuited. He also played favorites too much; coaches need to have the mindset that the object is to win the game, and if the guy on the field is not doing that, he needs to try someone on the sidelines who might. I know he had a non-sexual man crush on Sanchez, but he needed to bench so many times and didn't.

I'll agree that those first two years with Rex were fun, and I can't knock him for enthusiasm or what he did actually achieve. But even during those years, especially the second year, there were already signs of serious issues that suggested that Rex was not going to have long term success. Though they started 8-2, most of those wins were very sloppy near-losses against very weak teams; the Lions, Browns, Texans, and Bengals all nearly beat us, and we only pulled out wins due to mistakes on their part. The Lions and Browns wins were practically gifted to us. The team's performance really didn't improve until the playoffs, which said Rex had no answer for the team's weaknesses.

#15 Linebacker712, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If Rex is invited to your business' holiday party for example and they ask him to say a few words, would it be appropriate to say: "Allow me to introduce legendary Jets coach Rex Ryan" ?

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I don't know, but I'm sure you loaded him up on beers beforehand it would end in classic fashion

themorey and BrowningNagle like this.
  18. Losmeister

this

19. Losmeister

greeny is a fucking soft-ass dick

Brook! likes this.
  20. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Great memories .. I lived down South at the time and JETS fans were coming out the woodwork and joined us to watch the games! Let's also not forget he handpicked drafting, "The Terminator."

Brook! likes this.