Rex Ryan and the rebuild of the offense.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by laxin, Dec 23, 2013.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

So I see a ton of posts here along the lines of "just give Rex a [more] talented offense and we can make a real run"... I think its pretty obvious that this team will be going through an offensive rebuild between this offseason and the next, or at least we can only hope. We need at least 2 starting WR's, 1 TE, 1 G, and possibly a QB because no one knows if Geno is capable of being a franchise guy. Aside from just those starters, we will probably need to replace Brick within the next 2-3 years, and possibly Mangold too. To add to that, we need depth at almost every position.

So to get to the point of this thread- do you really feel confident in Rex leading this team through a complete rebuild of the offense?

This team hasnt had a franchise QB in a very long time. The last time we had a 1000 yard receiver was in 2007. We havent had a blue chip offensive player since Curtis Martin. This has to change, and it has to start this offseason.

Since 1980, only 1 coach has won SB's past year 5 without winning one prior in his career. Obviously history isnt everything, but do you truly see Rex leading this team to a SB, ever? History says that its very unlikely.

We've seen Rex's philosophy of defense first throughout the drafts since he's been here, why should that change now? Is Rex all of a sudden going to realize that the offense needs to be completely rebuilt? Obviously a HC doesnt make all of the draft decisions, but I would think that he does have a decent amount of influence on the overall outcome. If Sammy Watkins and Khalil Mack are on the board, which one do you think Rex will be pulling for?

Personally, I do not have any confidence that Rex can be the head coach through a successful rebuild of the offense. I dont have any confidence that he can develop a QB either. I do moderately like him as a coach, and wont be upset if he's kept, but I will be absolutely infuriated if this offseason isnt dedicated to the offense.

Note: this thread has nothing to do with the defense. It is 100% about the offense and how Rex fits into its rebuild. He is the head coach of the entire team, he needs to be held accountable for a 3 phases, not just the defense.

-

Lets go, rip apart.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I'd say it boils down to finding a competent QB which was not the case in the recent past. Just like finding Tom Brady gave Belicheat [the Greatest Head Coach of All Time] gig.

I do think Ryan could have done a lot better with Carson Palmer-like performance from the offense. It's such a sad reality because you KNOW that is not asking a lot.

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

Its not, but I think it speaks to the lack of talent around the QB which has been caused by years of neglect on that side of the ball.

Also, who knows how Sanchez wouldve turned out if not for Sparano as his OC.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I believe in Rex and I think it's pretty clear what kind of team he wants. It's up to Idzik to bring in the pieces and hopefully certain players develop. We won 7 games with an up and down rookie QB, no true go too guy on offense and an inconsistent oline. If Geno takes a step or two up and we add done receivers, I believe this team with Rex as the coach can win a SB.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I just have no fucking idea where you got that idea from.

I have consistently said how the draft picks went - Rex spent most of 1st round picks on defense. Overall, he spent more on offense. And constant trade-aways started the entire mess. Not having enough picks to address the offense for the past four years [before Idzik came on board] should not be pinned on Rex Ryan.

And constant project picks on 2nd round hurt like fuck. I don't know whose fault that is. I'd have to say it is on that moron T-Bomb as well.

----------------------------------------------

And if Jets drafted like they should have [bolstering OL while preparing to release Faneca/Moore/Woody ahead of time, getting good RB with day 1 picks, getting a project TE on board at lower rounds] and retained the core players [Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery for instance] Sanchez's growth wouldn't have been stunted like it was. We may not even have this discussion. I don't know if that falls on Rex Ryan either.

6. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

You couldn't be more spot on -

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I don't think this has much to do with Rex' ability to rebuild the offense.
    I think we finally have a competent OC in MM and I'd like to see the O upgraded with weapons and Geno in a 2nd year in this system with that upgraded talent to see what we've got here.

I'm saying I like the way the CS is built now. Let Rex worry about defense and give MM some new toys to play with on O.
    Extend Rex 2yrs and let's see where we go from here.

8. Mitch_Dumstein

Excellent post

Well said

KEEP REX!!!!

9. LWC611

LWC611 Member

To answer your question... As long as the Jets have a competent offensive coordinator and they have one now... Yes, I am very confident that Rex can coach this team through a rebuild of the offense... Now ask me if I am confident that they can do an effective rebuild......

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

this is the worst kind of statistical nonsense when you look at how few coaches have actually led their teams to a SB since 1980 and how many coaches are given 5 years tenure with a team when those teams are not loaded with talent

SMH

11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth - give any coach a decent QB and you will see success on the offense - give those same coaches poor QBs are wow - what a surprise the team does badly - just look at the Colts without Manning, the Broncos with Manning, the Packers without Rodgers etc etc etc - it all comes down to the QB.

12. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

nice fallacy catch, so many to choose from with Laxin's arguments on this subject.

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

:gpc:
    Well Rex almost led us to a Superbowl two years in a row so if we fix the offense theres no reason why we shouldnt be able to get back in the discussion.We had more of a stable offense the first two years,after year 3 it started falling apart .This defensive line is gonna be a monster next season even better then this year,I dont think its up to Rex anymore anyway and it shouldnt be if he stays or not,He can have input if he wants but if im the GM im locking my door

14. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Agree 100%

15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Harbaugh won Superbowl in 5th year - ALL winning seasons
    Coughlin won Superbowl in 4th year with Giants
    McCarthy won Superbowl in 5th year - 1 losing season
    Payton won Superbowl in 4th year
    Tomlin won Superbowl in 2nd year
    Dungy won Superbowl in 5th year with Colts
    Cowher won in his 14th year
    Belechick won Superbowl in his 2nd with Pats
    Billick won Superbowl in his 2nd year with Ravens
    Gruden won Superbowl in his 1st season with Bucs
    Vermiel won Superbowl in 3rd year with Rams
    Shanahan won Superbowl in 3rd year with Broncos
    Holmgren won Superbowl in 5th year with Packers
    Switzer won Superbowl in 2nd year with Cowboys
    Seifert won Superbowl in 1st year with Niners
    Johnson won Superbowl in 4th year with Cowboys
    Gibbs won Superbowl in 2nd year with Redskins
    Walsh won Superbowl in 3rd year with Niners
    Parcells won Superbowl in 4th year with Giants
    Ditka won in his 4th year with Bears
    Flores won in his 2nd year

Doesn't look like that "few" amount of coaches. Sorry but in today's NFL the Bill Cowher example of getting years upon years to win it all are by far the exception. A few guys like Marvin Lewis have been giving a longer leash but the standard has been set, you have success in your first 5 years with the team or you don't at all, doesn't mean that you can't given a change of situation. Rex inherited an ideal situation with a team ready made to compete and fell short, you can say he didn't have a QB, but the QB wasn't what collapsed in the playoff losses.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This is a dumb statistic that doesn't tell the entire story. Each of those franchises did excellent drafting players (scouting dept and GM). Look who ran the team and acquired the players and compare it to ours.

Let Rex coach the team, and the scouting department and GM need to do a better job of finding the right players to contend.

We can switch coaches every 3 years, but the same fucking problem has remained through the Mangini Era, Herm Edwards Era and the Rex Ryan era - the Jets do not do a good job in the draft. Blame that on Rex if you wish, if you do - I believe you do not know how an organization is run.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he brought in a good OC, Rex isn't the GM and shouldn't be picking offensive players. The question is can Idzik rebuild the O. I hope so, he has a ton of picks and cap room.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I say keep Rex as a lame duck and give him an extension midway threw season if things are looking good.I know that doesnt happen in the league for alot of reasons but either that or add another year on his contract

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we did a good job in the draft for the most part, the problem is we traded so many picks and singed/traded for more expensive guys. we have some talent on this team to quickly rebuild around.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Rex has proven with talent that he can win, something the previous coaches could not do. Mangini with a better team and a better opportunity missed the playoffs - now fans want to hire a coach from the same fucking tree that has proven never to succeed at the HC level in Bill O'Brien.