Rex Returneth?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Since1969, Feb 7, 2024.

1. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

The Cowboys have interviewed Rex Ryan for their open DC position. I guess Rex wants to get his foot back in the door to coaching.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...h-rex-ryan-for-defensive-coordinator-opening/

If he gets the job, grab your popcorn and stay turned.

1. As a broadcaster, Ryan has eviscerated Mike McCarthy for years. I doubt they have a warm and fuzzy relationship, so I suspect this is Jerry Jones' doing. If the Cowboys hit a rough patch, can't you see Ryan pissing in Jones' ear for Jones to fire McCarthy and make him HC?

2, Ryan has been out of coaching since 2016. Since then, the rules have changed considerably to help the offense and hamper the defense. How would Ryan's defensive philosophy coexist with these new rules?

3. The list of people Dallas is considering is heavy with retreads: Ryan, Mike Zimmer and Ron Rivera. So much for bright, young defensive minds. I'm sure a guy on the hot seat like McCarthy just loves the idea of having a former HC on his staff who could take over if he's fired mid-season.

#1 Since1969, Feb 7, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    Sundayjack likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Rex's system is too complex for the modern player. After he was fired in buffalo, players flat out said they were confused with how complicated it was. (side note- somehow that's an indictment on Rex in the media and not on the dumb players but I digress)

I think we even saw it here at the end of his tenure, they would play good all game and then have strange breakdowns resulting in easy touchdowns or big plays. It was missed assignments as they werent sure where to be

After the latest CBA players are practicing way less, they are also coming into the NFL less polished. 6 years later it is even worse... and offenses are more quick strike, spread the field types that was his achilles heel anyway.

Rex should stay retired, that's a nice cushy job at ESPN. Honestly he could be a better Head Coach, letting his coordinators work- and just utilizing his motivational style, then he would a coordinator these days implementing systems and designing game plans.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Dallas also doesn’t need a complicated defense. They’re loaded with good players. They need a 4-3 coordinator that will creatively move Parsons around and mix a couple blitzes in here and there.

They should just promote Al Harris and leave Quinn’s defense in place.

4. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

it’s not that I disagree with this - I don’t. But, at this stage in my life, I don’t just slow down to see the dead animal on the side of the road, I stop my car, get out, and then try to piece together the tragedy like some amateur CSI loser. Why would you deprive me of my Golden Years?

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The first time Rex puts the 46 base on the field, somebody's taking one to the house.

6. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Real question:

Which is a dumber head coach move - naming your newborn son after Brett Favre to lure him into signing with the team or tattooing your cheesecake wife in a Jets jersey after the butt fumble season?

I honestly can’t answer. I see the merits in both.

abyzmul and joelip like this.
  7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Rex has been out of the game for what? Eight years? I don’t think he had a lot on his fastball back then, I wouldn’t expect any results now.

AtlantaJet likes this.