Rex: How Far has he come?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Sep 14, 2014.

?

How do you feel about Rex?

1. He's doing a great job, we're right on course

17.6%
  2. He's doing a great job, but think he could do better.

30.9%
  3. He's doing ok, but I have concerns.

28.7%
  4. He's not doing a good job, but I want to see him given more time.

2.9%
  5. He's not doing a good job and I want to see him gone.

17.6%
  6. I like sitting on the fence

2.2%
  1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

....or regressed, we are Jets fans after all ;)

Personally I have always loved the hiring of Rex and was not naive to think he was an NFL ready HC, but one in the making. I'm certainly not saying he is Vince Lomabardi, but he is getting better every year. Talking of which I also think Rex is now benefiting from the hiring of Marty Mornhinweg which takes a lot of heat off Rex, and he can focus more on what he does best.

I know we have only played one game, but as the season progress's it will interesting to see how fans react to Rex. Bit more pressure this year and we will expect to at least make the POs, if we don't I hope the 'Boo-boys' don't clammer for Rex's head. Next season is the real pressure cooker.

How do you feel about Rex's progress?

2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

It may not be his fault, but the team in general gets too many penalties, and sometimes his emotions might get the best of him. Overall though, he's great, and I'm very supportive, and always will be.

3. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

Overall I think Rex is a top 10 coach. He gets more out of his teams in the modern NFL then any other coach in the league. I can honestly say that. There are three main critisisms though I have of him.

1. Penalties early in the season. - In 2012 we had the 3rd least amount of penalties in the league. Every other year we have been in the bottom half of the league. The trend though with the Jets under Rex is that in the 1st few games they have a TON of penalty's and then in the last 8 - 10 games they go away. I think this has alot to do with his teams finishing strong most of the time.

2. Too much Blitzing. Rex is the man of the blitz. He lives and dies by it. The thing is though there are times when he really doesn't need to. 3rd and 15 for example. I think as the years have gone on he has gotten better in this regard but sometimes he leans on it too much.

3. Playing Prevent up 2 scores with 4 - 6 minutes left. Can't fucking stand it. He did it again last week. Up 3 scores, I get it. The game is over, there is no reason to risk an injury. Up 2 scores though? The game is still very much hanging in the balance. If the Raiders get that onside kick last week there is a good chance we lose. It's going to screw him over one day.

4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I voted OK, but have some concerns. In reality I think the correct answer would be Good, but have some concerns but that's not an option and I'm not prepared to say he's doing a great job. I like Rex, I like his bluster and I think players love to play for him, but he's got to be more ruthless and more professional. I'm not sure he is going to be able to balance out the brash Rex enough to instill the level of professionalism we need.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I don't give a shit about penalties. Ref's are faggots so f them.

6. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

He is the head coach so he is responsible for everything, including too many penalties.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Even though I think the penalties actually committed are usually about equal by both teams for any given game, we're going to be called for more penalties than the opposing team, on average. That's just the current mindset of NFL officials. Not saying its a "vast conspiracy". Officials are human and they've been subconsciously conditioned by the media to expect certain things. For example, I would be surprised if we're not called for another another penalty fest against the "holy" Packers on the sacred ground of Lambeau today.

I believe Rex and Idzik are aware of this and are taking steps to prevent it. Letting Cromartie go was a big step toward cutting down the penalty culture. Colon has to be next. Winning helps everything of course, so if we can put up some W's, we might see this turn around.

TNJet likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Initially I was a Rex fan. Loved the bravado and the excitement. Then the circus hit town along with all the controversy, tattoo gate, etc. Then "the talk" stopped measuring up with the results and became simply background noise. At that point, I stopped listening to what Rex says and only pay attention to what the team does on the field. That being said, he's come quite a ways since the "you hit one of ours, we'll hit two of yours" nonsense of a bygone era. He realized that offense is his Achilles heel so he went and got someone that has a clue albeit with a pass happy history.

Now if we can get him to stop blitzing every 3rd and long perhaps his defense will get less predictable like it was a few years ago. He'll never be the all encompassing coach but these days, no coach is. He'll always be defense first and if you can accept that, you can live with Rex and a mediocre offense. Perhaps that's all you need these days.

gustoonarmy likes this.
  9. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

Still love Rex! I was disappointed that my Rex bobblehead didn't come with an ejecting headset though...

gustoonarmy likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Rex has come a long way since he first joined us. He's improved each year as a coach and the team always seems to be competitive. I love the defense we have how and I think Rex knows you have to run the football to win in this league - glad he's never strayed away from that

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think he's doing a great job and there's always room for improvement. I don't think we've seen the best out of Rex yet.

Axel3419 and Dierking like this.
  12. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The thing that bothers me most about the team under Rex is how they sometimes don't look ready to play, even after a big win .
    I also think the penalties are a sign of a lack of discipline .
    Rex needs to hold players accountable, something I don't think he's done in the past.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Let Idzik continue his building and let Rex and Marty keep working together.

I think with a couple more drafts, this team will be dominant and we will all see the best out of Rex Ryan.

Let's say these picks pan out like they should:

Sheldon Richardson
    Dee Milliner
    Calvin Pryor
    Jace Amaro

Now put a couple more drafts in the mix and this team and coaching staff could be on the verge of greatness.

14. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

cman...dead on.

Loved him...liked him....hated hearing his voice..but he has grown into a very solid coach. Does the roller coaster keep going up? I think it does. I would think around 20% of the coaches that have been fired in the first year or 2, if given the time, would have ended up being solid coaches.

Rexs saving grace was his first 2 seasons that bought him some extra time before showing he was not a flash in the pan. This is the season. This is the season he needs to separate himself from good to very good. Doesnt mean superbowl...doesnt mean Championship game and who knows if it even means playoffs.

One thing is for certain, he will never lose his team...he will have a very solid defense..and if his qb plays really well, he will revert back to looking like a genius..and if his qb turns into a rock, he will look to pull the plug at 2-4...2-5.

I really believe if they find a way to win today they are in the playoffs. It gives them enough room to get eaten up in the next 4 or 5 games half the time and still win 10.

15. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Every coach has his shortcomings and Rex has his but he is easily the best coach we've had since Weeb and Parcells. For those who think this is a do or die year for Rex, they need to consider the absence of better alternatives and that no coach has demonstrated the ability to do more with less than RR.

Older Fans remember the soul crushing culture of losing, choking and sucking we had to endure over the years prior to Parcells and then Rex coming on board. Rex is continuing to grow as a coach and offers exceptional abilities and traits that are not readily replaceable. For those who thinks he should be replaced, I'd love to hear you name the nominees for HC who would do a better job.

#15 Altoona, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    gustoonarmy likes this.
  16. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

He has been doing a pretty okay job since he struck lightning in a bottle with the two AFC Championship games his first two seasons. I'm more concerned about the offense and making sure it continues to progress and get better with quality players for the QB and that guys get signed with all the cap room that is available and the secondary gets fixed so that it is not a weak link down the stretch and in the future.

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I hope Rex is the coach for the next 5 years

18. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

That would mean the Jets make the playoffs this year, and maybe 2 or 3 other times during that time, so I agree.

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

still a supporter but certainly not the supporter I was a couple of years ago - just not seeing much improvement and the same excuses getting trotted out time and time again "we have to get better at......" - well do it then!

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

He's been a solid coach, overall. However, he definitely has weaknesses. And his press conferences are filled with hot air. You basically can't take anything the guy says seriously. His only spoken function is to pump himself, his players, and his assistant coaches with enough hot air to fly to Mars. I like him, though.