REX calls us out AGAIN! Need the Atmosphere back!!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJetsMan7, Nov 13, 2009.

1. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/11/13/2009-11-13_coach_rex_ryan_urges_new_york_jets_fans_to_cheer_harder_at_.html

Coach Rex Ryan challenges New York Jets fans to cheer harder and louder at Giants Stadium
    BY Rich Cimini
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, November 13th 2009, 5:25 AM

Sabo/News
    Rex Ryan is demanding more from his players, but also the fans of the New York Jets.

Take our PollBe Heard

What is your response to Jets coach Rex Ryan's call for fans to cheer louder?

A - He's crazy, New York has the best fans in the world
    B - He's right, New York fans have lost a step
    C - He should just shut up and coach the team

The Jets felt it from the bottom of their feet to the core of their eardrums. When a dazed Tom Brady trudged off the field on Sept. 20, the stadium got so loud that players felt the ground tremble. Shaun Ellis, the longest-tenured Jet, said he never experienced anything like it in 10 years at the Meadowlands.

What happened to that magic?

The Jets have dropped two straight at their soon-to-be-closed stadium, and it looks as if they're going to leave the building without ever having established a consistent home-field advantage. Home is where the hurt is.

Rex Ryan wants to change that before it's too late. The coach made a public appeal Thursday, imploring fans to wake up and help save the season. He called for a Sept. 20-like atmosphere for Sunday's pivotal game against the Jaguars (4-4).

"I'm challenging our fans," Ryan said. "I know they're going to challenge me, and rightfully so, but it's my job to get this team ready to go. Be prideful. This is your football team and we can accomplish anything we set out to do. I think when we get that energy from our crowd, it might be the difference this week."

Some might call it sophomoric, saying Ryan should stick to coaching and give up the cheerleading bit. But when a team is mired in a 1-4 slump, it needs as much support it can muster. Ryan took a similar approach before the home opener against the Patriots, placing an automated call to season-ticket holders, and the plea for support worked like a charm. The ear-splitting noise forced Brady & Co. into four delay-of-game penalties. The Jets won, 16-9.

"We need to get that going," said Ryan, sounding a bit disappointed with the recent decibel levels. "That was the loudest stadium I had ever been in."

The Jets are down to their final four games at the stadium, where they've rarely dominated since becoming the Giants' co-tenant in 1984. Since 2000, their home record is a mediocre 40-36, only five games better than their road mark. In the 1990s, it was 35-45. Even in good times, they're not always good at home. In the 2001 and 2006 playoff seasons, they were more successful on the road than at home. Go figure.

They got off to a fantastic start this season with wins over the Patriots and Titans, but they gave it back with crushing divisional losses to the Bills and Dolphins. They blew chances to win on their final possession, ratcheting up the stakes for Sunday. At 4-4, they're calling it a must-win, especially with the first-place Patriots looming next week.

"Lately the fans seem like they're taking a cautious, wait-and-see approach," guard Brandon Moore said. "I don't know if it's the 'Same Old Jets' thing or what, but I guess they have reason to be hesitant. We've had a couple of hiccups."

In theory, the crowd should create plenty of electricity for the well-rested Jets, who are coming off a bye week that included an unprecedented six-day vacation, but the charge often works better for the visiting team. The Jets have dropped four of their last seven at the Meadowlands, which Dolphins linebacker Jason Taylor recently dubbed a "hellhole." Maybe the decades-old issue, not having their own stadium, is valid. (F*ck him)

"I don't buy that," said Marty Lyons, who played with the Jets from 1979 to 1989. "I think sometimes we allow them to use that as an excuse. It's no excuse. It comes down to execution. They didn't execute against Buffalo and Miami. The fan support has been amazing this year."

Now Ryan wants another Sept.20.

"Let's bring our A game," he said. "We're going to try to bring it on the field. We need to bring it in the stands, too."

#1 NYJetsMan7, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. Fleetwood

Fleetwood Member

C - He should just shut up and coach the team

3. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

He's right, Jets fans should be louder at home games. But what could you expect except silence when 50% of the fans are thinking about jumping from the mezzanine after every incompletion?

4. MeanGreens08

MeanGreens08 Member

I dont know i thought towards the end of the Miami game the crowd was really loud maybe not as loud as the Pats game but still.

The Buffalo game well that just speaks for itself. Even with the disaster of a game that was the crowd was still supporting the D.

The trend i am noticing a lot lately is that there is a lot of opposing fans at the games. That is the part i dont understand.

5. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

More cowbell, er...air raid..

6. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

Much more public tickets for sale now ....they couldnt sell all the season tickets for this year i believe.

7. ridetilidie21

ridetilidie21 New Member

I'm all for cheering loud and I do so to the point where I have no voice the next day at every game. I believe the crowd at the Patriots game was deafening and definetly played a role in the win. That being said I think the Jets and Rex need to stop focusing on what we are doing in the stands and start focusing on giving us something to cheer for. We can't be out on the field holding there hands throughout the game. Get your acts together and start focusing on whats happening on the field. PLEASE!! If they hold up their end of the bargain we will hold up ours. I fully support Rex and my Jets, but its time they get there shit together and start putting up some W's. GO JETS!!

8. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I agree with Rex

9. mst3000

mst3000 Member

I'm not too worried about this. I doubt it took away that much time from the film or planning sessions to tell fans to cheer louder.

Also, I was at the Buffalo game - the fans gave up way too easily on the Jets. I don't understand how any fan could have possibly thought that booing Sanchez and the offense could possibly re-invigorate him with instant confidence and make the team start playing better. I'm pretty sure most fans around the league don't boo their home team the instant things stop going their way, and maybe that's part of the reason why a lot of those teams have much more success at home (Green Bay, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, etc).

10. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i love how people act as if stadium noise is a nonfactor.

that stadium was fucking exploding with noise that day, if we can get even relatively close to that on a consistent basis we'd be known for being one of the toughest places to play in the league.

11. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I'll never understand why modern stadiums seem to be built to minimize noise instead of make it louder. Football especially is the one major sport where the crowd can make a tangible impact on what happens on the field; Seattle damn near parlayed their home field advantage into a Super Bowl a few years back.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

if the Head Coach needs to remind fans of their duties, the fanbase is total shit.

Fuck jets fans and their lazy asses.

I love bills fans, they know their team sucks but they cheer as loud as possible anyway because its fun and they paid the money for the fucking ticket so they are going to get their dollars worth. But Jets fans can't be bothered to do the same thing.

Rex might as well call every week before a home game saying, "just a reminder to the jaded dipshits - stand up and scream."

13. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Agreed, and +1

14. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

+1 ....I understand they need to do their job on the field and get W's but why not get your ass up and cheer with everything you got when ur at the game! Stay the hell home on your nice warm couch and sip on your tea if your not ready to give it 110% I always bring it.

PS - Sunny and 65 sunday ...so that should get some of the fair weather fans out from their shelters! Every man/woman/child helps!

#14 NYJetsMan7, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

they should hand their tickets back in. That may be happening with the PSLs anyway.

16. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Right on the money!

If fans won awards for bitching and moaning, we'd have a dynasty..

17. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

If Jones-Drew runs all over the field at will and Sanchez throws 4 INTs and we lose 31-17, the fans will be plenty loud, believe me.

We've gone from 3-0 to 4-4. Enough already. Get the team ready to play and stop worrying about making fucking phone calls to the fan base to pump them up.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

They have success because of good coaching, and good decision making on their behalf. I won't get on the fans because they only have a small effect on the game and that is usually when the opposing team is on the field and it hurts their ability to hear the opposing QB, do the Jets really want their fans affecting the OL's ability to hear Sanchez?

The fact is he should focus on making better decisions as a coach, at the rate he is going with his big mouth we will be winning an award for underachieving team of the year. And why are we getting on each others case as fans, I have been a Jet fan for over 20 years and I have seen some very bad football and some good football but the fact is I still root for them every year and I will never stop rooting for them until the day I die. I will not take it upon myself to tell other fans how I feel they should behave, the fact that they are at the game or watching at home wearing their Jets cap and sweatshirt means they are supporting the team.

So Rex needs to understand we are paying his salary an every player and coach's salaries who is standing on that sideline, the burden is on THEM to provide a winning product. :up:

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree. "It's the fans' fault!"

Uh, no it isn't.

20. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I'm not a big fan of how loud the crowd is a given week, and I was pissed at people during the Miami game, but when people say "fuck Jets fans and their lazy asses" when I and I know a lot of other people on this board scream their lungs out every single game, it pisses me off, and it makes me wonder why people who bitch about the fan support don't get tickets themselves. There are usually tickets available.

The crowd was weak during the Miami game, but when you're given letdown after letdown, it's hard to keep up the energy. I admit, I felt like you last week, as I was screaming into section 109, trying to get those people to stand in the 4th quarter of a Jets-Dolphins game. Crazy idea, right? People were staring at me like I was crazy. Maybe I was a little. Still, no excuses, play like a champion.