revis's end of season mock draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Dom, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

hello everyone. the season is officially over so i decided to make another mock draft. instead of 3 rounds, this will be a 7 round mock draft. i'll probably have to split the mock into two posts. i planned on going offense heavy in this draft as i think we use free agency to fill out most of the defense. it's usually a good idea to draft heavily in positions that are dominant in the draft and luckily for us, that's the offensive side of the ball. anyways, let's begin

ROUND 1, ERIC EBRON, TE UNC
    [​IMG]

This pick stays the same from my last mock, I honestly believe that he is the best player on the board and also fills a need. He's an athletic freak that reminds me both of Vernon Davis and Julius Thomas, he creates mismatches all across the field. You can kick him inside next to a tackle or move him into the slot, he can do it all. It's ultimately his blocking that isn't that great, but I'm willing to live with that for a mismatch like Ebron. Cumberland led our team with 4 TD catches last year, it's apparent Geno likes the tightend so it'll be enjoyable to see what Ebron can do.

Highlight play
    [YOUTUBE]seJy8sl0jJ4[/YOUTUBE]

ROUND 2, ODELL BECKHAM JR, WR LSU
    [​IMG]

In my last mock I had Jarvis Landry, who is admittedly my man crush in this years NFL draft, but I see way more benefits from Odell Beckham. Depending on how he runs at the combine he may not be at this pick, but as of right now it's not out of the realm of possibility. Beckham can really stretch the field and has big play ability. He's not the tallest at 6 foot, but he plays a lot bigger then that. He isn't afraid to snatch the ball out of the air and has a physical brand of football. Reminds me a little bit of Steve Smith, something this offense needs. He adds the deep threat and athletic ability we've been missing since forever.

Highlight play
    [YOUTUBE]92rauLT3enE[/YOUTUBE]

ROUND 3, STANLEY JEAN BAPTISTE, CB NEBRASKA
    [​IMG]

Our secondary needs work and I like what I see from SJB (im using this for short because his name is so dang long). SJB is a tall corner at 6'3 who isn't afraid to play physical. He'll jam you at the LOS and has fluid hip movement. His ball skills aren't spectacular, but he can cover. Rex loves having physical corners that can be put on an island and I think SJB can be that kind of corner. He had a strong showing at the senior bowl and has been rising up boards recently

Highlight play
    [YOUTUBE]5eVN7QRgXjI[/YOUTUBE]

ROUND 3, CHARLES SIMS, RB WVU
    [​IMG]

This kid is the running back we need. A transfer from Houston, Sims did a nice job at WVU this year. He's a do it all back and resembles Matt Forte to me. He can pass protect well, catch the ball A LOT (has good hands) and can run the football well. He is patient and willing to wait for a hole to open and when he sees it he'll quickly run right through it. He can also make people miss in the open field and is strong enough that he can break tackles. I know RB isn't a huge priority for us, but he's the BPA at this pick in my opinion.

Highlight play
    [YOUTUBE]4NZktyEsh5w[/YOUTUBE]

2. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

ROUND 4, ANTHONY STEEN, OG ALABAMA
    [​IMG]

Alabama is extremely successful because of their offensive line and Steen has been apart of that success. He falls to us because of the surgery he got on his partially torn labrum. He might not be a household name like D.J Fluker, Koundijo, and Warmack, but that's alright. He does what is needed of him. He is a good run blocking guard, something we actually need help with, our run blocking just wasn't that good. The only downside with Steen is that he isn't polished in pass protection yet. He needs to get stronger as he will sometimes lose ground, something we just can't afford. He has counters to most pass rushing moves and I still like how he plays. He will be apart of the offensive line rebuild

ROUND 5, BRANDON COLEMAN, WR RUTGERS
    [​IMG]

Brandon Coleman has been falling recently, which is fortunate for us, but extremely unfortunate for him. His 2013 campaign just wasn't that good as he was injured and had just 538 yards and 4 touchdowns. Obviously QB play played apart of that, but it's still not very good. Regardless, Coleman is a 6'6 receiver and a deep threat that we need. He doesn't have the best hands and sometimes uses his chest, but I think with enough polish he can definitely be a contributor and a red zone threat with his size and strength. Is also a good blocker

ROUND 6, DEVON KENNARD, OLB USC
    [​IMG]

At round 6 you're basically hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. Devon Kennard can MAYBE be that. He has a nice first step and plays well against the run. He isn't really going to be falling back into coverage, but that's OK. He has a plethora of pass rushing moves and that's what he's good at. He will need some molding, but if anyone can do it, it's Rex Ryan

ROUND 7, CODY HOFFMAN, BYU
    [​IMG]

Has a good frame. Isn't lightning fast. Will be a project and potentially a roster cut, but hey you never know

#2 Dom, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  3. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

3 WR's and no safety?? Doubtful.

4. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Ebron, Beckham, and Sims!!!!!! I would love it regardless of who else we pick.

5. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

yeah i'm kind of glad you brought that up. i thought of having us select deone bucannon, but i'm not in love with him. his coverage skills aren't amazing and he isn't a sure tackler. i think we go fill our safety need in FA with either byrd or ward, which is why i said i think defense gets filled through FA

we have no talent at the WR position and this class is DEEP with talent. This draft class gives us immediate talent for next season, but also gives us talent that we can develop and use as depth. I'm thinking about the future in addition to thinking about current issues

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

1. Instead of the CB in the 3rd, how awesome would it be for the Jets to pick up Ed Reynolds (FS) from Stanford? He's going to be a starter in this league due to his football IQ - keep Reed for a year and the kid could really develop.

Jets could always take a chance on a CB later in the draft or via FA.

2. No rookie QB? Jets need to rework their QB depth chart. They need to draft a QB in this draft, Geno should not be handed the job.

Other then that, I'm down to roll with this draft.

7. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

Agree, geno IS NOT the answer.

8. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i think it's easy to say geno isn't the answer, but i'm not going to force the drafting of a QB. we obviously aren't going to get a starter out of this draft and i'm completely content with matt simms as our backup QB. i'm sure we will bring in more competition during FA, but i'd rather set up the foundation of the offense. if geno fails at least we will now have a team full of weapons that any QB can step into and be successful

9. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

The recent mock that was put up on bleacherreport looks pretty good for the first 3 rounds:

1. Ebron
    2. Matthews
    3. Attaochu
    3b. Joyner

10. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

This is probably a bit of a dream...but one I would absolutely go for

11. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Who do you have signing on defense for FA. You mentioned we will go defense in FA.

12. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Id love it, but Beckham isnt making it to the 2nd round. Id honestly be very happy with him in the 1st and prefer him over Lee. I would love Ebron in the 1st, and then a WR in the 2nd. Thats my ideal scenario outside of Mike Evans falling.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I love the first two picks, but imo it goes downhill pretty rapidly from there.

While I like SJB and his height, I don't like the fact that he doesn't have very good ball skills. First and foremost, I think that's what the Jets need. The Seahawks have that in spades, and the Jets suck in that regard. I also think that is probably too high for SJB. If there isn't a FS or SS prospect there, I think there's a good chance there will be another CB who has better ball skills or a WR I'd like better.

I really like Simms and think he would be a great addition to the offense, but I think that's way too high for the Jets to take a RB. They need a FS and OLB more than they do a RB imo.

I think the 4th round is about right to take an OG. The only caveat to that would be if they haven't gotten an OLB yet and Attaochu is there at this pick, then I think they have to go OLB.

I'm not a big fan of Coleman. I think this could be a good spot to add another TE, DB or LB.

I'm not only not a fan of Hoffman, I wouldn't want the Jets to take him at all. I think he looked awful in the Sr. Bowl. He's slow and didn't look very smooth or as if he had very good hands if I recall correctly. I'd rather take a P or K or possibly a RB here rather than another WR.

I don't think Simms is a good enough backup. Hopefully, the Jets sign a veteran QB like Hill or McCown, but I think they definitely need to take a QB somewhere in the 4th-7th round range if there's one they like.

15. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

an example would be jason worilds and T.J ward, it doesn't break the bank and really helps our defense. I also think people forget that antwan barnes was playing well before he got injured

i'm sorry i didn't give you a QB jstokes, i just don't see the value

it might be a pipe dream to get odell beckham, but you never know. his stock really depends on how he runs in the combine, i also think brandin cooks will overtake him eventually because of his speed so it's still possible to get him

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

Sanchez is though so we are good.

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

Also, who are you assuming are gone at the RB position when you picked Sims?

18. Mangold Goldman

Great contribution

19. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I would pick up a FS in the 3rd over Sims, I think we're okay at RB between Powell and Ivory, not really sure if Goodson will still be around but we can pick up someone in FA to fill that (small) gap if necessary.

Not really familiar with the 6th or 7th rounders but they are 6th and 7th rounders so, yeah, if you can get anything out of them that would be a huge bonus.

I agree with not drafting a QB just to draft one and I'm 100% Ebron in the first and the best available WR in the 2nd.

20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I've gone over countless scenarios and Ebron looks like the most obvious choice at #18, I think it's better than a 50% chance he will be a NYJ.

I wouldn't rule out a defensive player if he is the BPA, I'd take Dee Ford in a heartbeat at #18. Ford may not even be available after his Senior Bowl week and after a solid workout at the Combine later this month.

Beckham should be gone at #49, he's closer to a mid Rd 1 player than a mid 2nd rounder.

Love Stanley Jean Baptiste, big corner with good athleticism, again, I think he will be a solid Rd 2 prospect and would have no issue getting him at #49. Baptiste has the ability to play Safety, which is a plus.