Revis: It would be mistake to lose Cromartie

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MadBacker Prime, Mar 4, 2011.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

"When the Jets' season ended, Darrelle Revis made it quite clear that he wants the team to re-sign his cornerback partner, Antonio Cromartie, whose contract is expiring. Just recently, the NFL Network reported that the Jets probably will let Cromartie walk. That, Revis said, would be a mistake.

"I mean, yeah, the type of player he is, I feel he’s one of the best in the league," Revis told ESPNNewYork.com by phone before his appearance at ESPN the Weekend at Hollywood Studios in Orlando. "I can only do so much. I can go tell Rex (Ryan) we need this guy on the team, and Rex knows that as well. Rex knows we need the guy, but with the contract situation, the (team) has to do what’s best for them and the player has to do what’s best for him."

If Cromartie leaves via free agency, Revis said he'd like the Jets to replace him with Raiders star Nnamdi Asomugha, who also will be a free agent -- maybe the biggest free agent on the market.

"Anybody coming in, if Cro isn’t on the team, would have to fill some big shoes," said Revis, adding that he would "vouch" for Asomugha. "It could be Nnamdi, it could be anybody. We just have to wait that out to see if that situation comes up. If it doesn’t … we’re fine with Cro. There’s no problem with Cromartie. He’s a great player."

Asked if second-year cornerback Kyle Wilson could handle the job after struggling as a rookie, Revis didn't exactly give a ringing endorsement.

"I don’t know, we’ll see," he said. "He had a learning curve this season. He gained a lot of experience from what he learned, so we’ll see."

As for the labor situation, Revis said he has a lockout plan: He's planning to invite the defensive backs to Arizona, where he trains every offseason at a sports-performance center.

"I’ve been talking to a couple of players and we’re trying to figure out what we’re going to do, working out-wise," Revis said. "I know Mark (Sanchez) always takes the receivers out to California. What I’m going to try to do is get the DBs out there to Arizona."

Problem is, he might have trouble coming up with enough bodies, considering five key members of the secondary will be free agents. "

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/4740/revis-it-would-be-mistake-to-lose-cromartie

I agree with Revis, Cro was big for us this year, especially when Revis was out or playing hurt.

Revis didn't exactly give Wilson a lot of credit, how quickly Revis forgets his rookie season. I know Revis had a much better rookie year, much better. Revis must see Kyle's coverage skills though, once he can improve his ball awareness Wilson will be nasty too.

2. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I like Revis best when he doesn't speak.

3. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Yeah. Shut up, Revis.

4. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

whats wrong with revis wanting cro back? He realizes he can only shut down half the field and needs another solid CB out there. Obviously he feels Wilson can't do it as well as Cromartie can.

Whether Revis realizes it or not, we need Braylon and Tone more than Cromartie. Sanchez development is paramount to the sucess of the team, and having those guys back will make him a better player, faster. Which is far more important to the future of this team, than anything cro can bring.

5. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Revis really needs to get laid...

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

GM Revis at it again.

7. ........

........ Trolls

Haha. I don't like the comments, but I think Wilson will deal with them well. With his family and background, I'll bet he busts his ass out to Arizona just to prove Revis wrong.

As far as the article's comments about having a tough time getting bodies in Arizona because they're not under contract, wouldn't an impending free agent want to train with the best CB in the game just as much?

8. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I kind of agree on Wilson... give credit where credit is due... but Wilson showed nothing special on the field to earn praises from Revis. When Wilson will start playing to the level he's capabale I'm sure Revis will give him all the credit in the world.

As for Cro or Aso if Revis wants them so much maybe he could help free some cap room... you can only have so much money invested in DBs...

9. MadBacker Prime

Have you ever been on a team?

Keep this shit internal, Revis should just keep in short and sweet.

10. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Shut up Revis, take less money and we can bring him back.

11. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

what do u mean about wilson's cover skills???
    didnt you see him knock that ball down with his facemask against Pitt in the AFC championship game???

12. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

The irony is everyone on here thinks their opinion is so valuable. When someone actually on the team speaks out and vouches for someone, y'all think he should shut up. Yet we pat ourselves on the back and hand out awards for our message board.

So what - Revis wants Cro back, and he thinks K-Dubs is still learning. Not exactly groundbreaking material there. I don't think there's anything controversial or surprising with anything he made. Instead of a bunch of internet blowhards telling Revis to shut up, maybe we should instead be analyzing what he said. For example, it seems like Revis and Cro are pretty tight on a personal level, and they worked together on the field great last season. I'd be concerned about messing up that chemistry by bringing in someone new. Then again, they only played together 1 year.

13. MadBacker Prime

LOL, well that's what I mean. You stays with his guy just needs to improve his ball awareness.

14. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Think that is why that white boy Greiger is around.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I think at least part of it is because he's making so much money it's more challenging to bring everyone back. Now he's talking like there's no salary cap trying to get the Jets to sign everyone. I know that's the part that pisses me off.

16. ........

........ Trolls

You know, you probably could have made this same statement without insulting every poster on the board. Then again, I probably still wouldn't have known who you were if you had. Way to make a bold statement so people will actually notice you. :up:

17. ........

........ Trolls

That's the part I didn't like either, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it pisses me off. Like I said, it could actually motivate Wilson regardless of whether Cro gets re-signed.

I've said since we lost to Pitt that one of my biggest hopes for the offseason was to get Wilson attached to Revis' hip. I tried to ask Vince about it, but he didn't respond to it. If Revis is saying "Wilson's not there yet" and trying to get corners out to Arizona, I'm betting he's getting out there with a small chip on his shoulder and an even bigger desire to improve.

18. MadBacker Prime

Revis and Cro are so tight that Revis already has his replacement picked out. I wish we all could have friends like that.

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

If Wilson Caught that ball against Pittsburgh that games 24-17 in the 3rd quarter and I strongly believe we would be on our way to the Super Bowl.

20. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't actually insulted. Maybe just your ego. I don't care if you "know" me in the capacity that people on here know each other either, so you're totally off base there and probably projecting your own feelings. Back to the topic at hand: Almost everyone on this forum has no influence on anything, but individually, most of us all think pretty highly of our opinions. Yet simultaneously it's pretty common to see people ripping players for speaking something on their mind, when this forum is a place for regular people to air their own conjecture and speculation. So I point out the irony there, and I guess you got a little offended. I'm not saying sorry though.