Revis and Future Move to Safety

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Aug 4, 2016.

1. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

He's always stayed away from addressing this, so found this interesting. I love Revis, but hope he realized safeties don't make $17 million a year. If he plays safety for the Jets, it would be on a new contract.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Darrelle Revis apparently has considered his own mortality as a cornerback.

The New York Jets' star, usually sensitive to questions about whether his game is declining, sounded open Thursday to the possibility of moving to safety in the future. He made an unsolicited comment in an interview with WFAN radio.

Some perspective: Revis, who turned 31 last month, is one of the most accomplished cornerbacks of this generation -- a seven-time Pro Bowl selection. This wasn't the first time he publicly discussed the notion of switching positions.

In an interview last week with ESPN New York 98.7 FM, Revis was asked about safety and he said, "It's something I'd want to gravitate to. It's definitely a conversation."

Revis told co-hosts Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton that he still can play corner "at a high level," but he added: "There's probably a conversation in the future regarding me maybe moving my position, maybe to safety or doing some other things."

General manager Mike Maccagnan, speaking later on WFAN, said, "Darrelle is a pro. He understands himself. Those are questions far down the road." Maccagnan added that "it's not outside the realm of possibility," noting that other star cornerbacks have made successful conversions to safety.

Revis showed some signs of slippage last season, but he was hampered by a painful wrist injury, it was revealed after the season. He had surgery in March to repair a torn tendon, acknowledging Thursday it affected his ability to jam receivers at the line of scrimmage. He's still not 100 percent, as he continues the rehab process. He has played only a handful of snaps in training camp as part of his rehab regimen.

The Jets signed Revis to a five-year, $70 million contract, expecting him to be a shutdown corner. He's due to make $17 million this season, fully guaranteed. His salary dips to $13 million next year (only $6 million guaranteed), plus a $2 million roster bonus.

Revis' comment about moving to safety was a surprise, because he usually deflects questions about his 2015 performance -- or simply bristles. On Wednesday, he chided a reporter, saying, "Don't call me slow."

He wouldn't be the first great corner to make the change. Hall of Famer Rod Woodson did it, and so did future Hall of Famer Charles Woodson.

2. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I think its clearly gonna happen Charles Woodson did the same thing when he was moved from CB to FS late in his career in Green Bay and won DPOY(the year Revis SHOULD have won it). Revis wants to be in NY thats why he came right back and I'm sure Magic Mike will restructure a contract that will compensate Revis fairly

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't really believe he wants to be in New York. I believe he wants to maximize his contracts no matter where he goes.

I think he's going to be an excellent free safety too, but as stated, free safeties don't make $15-$20 million/year, so we'll see how that shakes out. Maybe he's resigned to a cheaper deal once Gilchrist's contract is up. Something tells me he doesn't care where he plays as long as he's getting showered in dollars.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think he has 2 maybe 3 years left at CB and then if he wants can play another 203 years at safety after that. This thread is a little premature IMO but I'm sure revis will make a great safety. He's one of the smartest defensive players in football

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Moving to safety prolongs your career and allows you to play at a higher level. I could see Revis doing that 2-3 years down the line. I am sure he can and will do well at safety.

6. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I think he will be off the team by 2018 as we will save 10 million bucks on the cap by releasing him at the end of next season

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Let's see...another 203 years at safety, that would make him 234 when he retires! ;)

Red Menace likes this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He would be the only HOF player inducted while still playing.

9. Jetsfansince95

Heck he would die and still be playing ... imagine :)

10. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

The thread isn't premature because he discussed it on radio yesterday. There is always a poster that needs to say why a thread shouldn't be created. You won today's prize.

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Revis contract goes down to about 10M in 2018 and in 2019.
    i felt at the time of the contract, they considered a FS transition could be quite possible those years.

so no need to redo the contract, as they already have the salary reduction built in, whether it be for a FS or an older CB.

i agree he'd make an excellent FS.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With his skills, football IQ, etc., I agree that Revis would make an excellent FS from those perspectives, but his lack of footspeed would disqualify him imo. IMO, the FS is the center fielder, the last line of defense and needs to be fast.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He's smart enough to do the move, no doubt.

14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It'd be a good move for him and the defense. He's probably got one more year as a high level CB and then transitioning to S would make sense.

15. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Charles and Rod Woodson both made the transition from CB to FS and played at a high level. With his football IQ, I think Revis would make an excellent FS.

16. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

He will be a safety by 2018, imo. Good move.

17. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

Replacement for Gilchrist. We are going to have to hit on some cb picks in the future but the safety tandem of Revis and Pryor sounds awesome.

18. Jetsfansince95

Its only camp but Juston Burris has been flashing some great ball skills

Walt White likes this.
  19. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Can we officially bury this idea that Revis hasn't lost a step? Yeah, yeah, his wrist was jacked. It was obvious even at the beginning of last year that he could no longer bounce with WR breaks like he used to (which was the best I've ever seen.) Some fans around here can't stand to see their guys realistically assessed.

Give Gholston a chance! He's a rookie!

Give Gholston a chance! He didn't even play last year!

Give Gholston a chance! Rex'll fix him!

Give Gholston a chance to work the register! He's been stocking shelves all morning!

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If anyone here likes the option of moving Revis to safety, don't be mad if the Jets pick a corner in the first 2 rounds in the next couple of years.