Restructures impact on 2007 cap and beyond

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BamaDoc, Mar 12, 2006.

1. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

One thing that has not come out in our restructures of 2006 contracts to prepare for this year is what 2007 looks like. I am not an idiot, (don't ask my wife) but I am sure some money shifted. This may be another reason to explain why we are proceeding carefully in FA. The staff may not want a lot of bonus money carrying over to future years so that we can finally get out of old contracts. Many successful teams have avoided the big signing and are continually reloading with cheap alternatives and reward their own players rather than spend big bucks on an outsider and risk disrupting the clubhouse. Any info on future years of Martin , Coles, D Rob, Pennington, and Ellis deals?

2. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Coles and Ellis are uncuttable. They took more garanteed money, but the cap hit of cutting them is huge. Now, DRob is a different story. He didn't get renegotiated, and his cap hit this year is something near 10 mil. The fact that they didn't restructure his contract means they left the door open to cut him next year without a big cap hit. As for Martin, I think he will be a Jet until he decides to retire.

I don't think "Tangini" will be signing many high profile FA's. They want to rebuild, and keep cap room for the players that they will draft that become "core" players. In other words, lay low in the FA market, but have enough cap to keep the guys they want long term. They will get low cost gap filler guys via FA instead.