Report: Jets GM Mike Maccagnan on the hot seat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I heard on the The Draft Analyst podcast this morning with Tony Pauline that Gase and Mac are already having issues and had to have a sitdown recently to iron things out. Heard it was because Gase is type A and when his mind is made up he wants to do it where as Mac doesn't make decisions quick enough. Going to be a fun year. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Do you or anyone else Have a link ? I looked and can't find this, post it if you can

3. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

CBG likes this.
  4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

A little friction is ok. It means you have passionate people. It comes down to how they work it out in order to move forward.

bartscott, VegasMav, apjbfc and 6 others like this.
  5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

6. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Don't disagree. Where it concerns me Mac had friction with Bowles and now Gase. Mac hasn't been good at his job and if they are upset about Paradis what Pauline talks about I can see why Gase is upset especially knowing they don't have a second round pick. We'll see. Still alot of time until September. They'll figure it out.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Parcell's and Young were at each others throats when they won the SB. It might actually be good to have a compulsive type A slowed down a bit on decision making. It could be a disaster in the making but it could work out. As long as Mac builds a solid roster and Gase squeezes every ounce of juice out of it, no problem. They can hate each other guts.

Pags2112, MoWilkBeast and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Macsuckan needs to go, should have been kicked out with Bowles.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This, if 2 people always ageee 1 of them is unnecessary

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Well when these guys actually win a Super Bowl at that point I guess we can talk about how great it is that they are butting heads and at each others throats but until then = I will take Harmony over a car wreck in the making--> seems as if its only a matter of time and wait until the other Alpha Male Gregg Williams gets involved.

#10 CBG, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

At this point solid roster is important. Looking at it today it's a start. Besides cb the Jets don't have to pick another defensive player and I'd be ok. Maybe an edge but the dline is solid. Lb are solid and safeties. CB really concerns me and edge. Ansah and Claiborne (can't believe I'm saying it) signed might put me at ease.

Offense has to be the pick. We need lineman. At this point it is average. We need a center. We need olinemen we can develop push or even start, with all the tight end depth another tight end can be 5-7 and depth at wr and rb.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Mac, first off, is a bit of an idiot. He is crafty, and nifty and coy, but he is not the smartest guy in the world. If you have Adam Gase as your head coach , you are going to live and die with what his strengths are, not Macs. If Adam Gase is a wizard genius borderline rainman type of dude, then let him channel that. It will work out really well, or it won't. I personally am optimistic, but you have to live and die with Gase, not Mac. Mac needs to shut the fuck up and draft players that fit the scheme. I heard Greg Williams wasn't a fan of the guy we picked last night, can't confirm that but I did hear it somewhere. To me, if I was the GM, I would pick the player that suited Greg's scheme the best. I would adapt to my coaches a bit. Mac just wants to get a good report card, "Hey, you picked the right guy, it was the obvious answer, you got it correct, good job." How about sacrificing BPA for Need even just a little bit??? Mac is all about BPA and sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. I can not stand GM's who live and die by BPA, and that is totally Mac's game. He is a frustrating GM but then again, let's be real, most of them are. There is only a handful of GM's out there who are exceptional, we don't have one of them.

ColoradoContrails, NYJetsO12 and CBG like this.
  13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Completely agree - evoking the most successful examples of something inevitably leads to disappointment (precisely why people saying "Williams is the next Sapp" or "Williams is the next Donald" is so ridiculous - until that happens it's an absurd expectation). As @rohirrim665 said above, at least when it comes to the draft it seems that Macc's ceiling is being mediocre, which means overall he's below average. He gets credit for moving up for Darnold, but otherwise he seems to combine being overly conservative at the top (always going BPA) and too outside-the-box after the first round (too many awful second and third round picks to count). I'm disappointed by the Q. Williams pick (but at least can hope he really is as good as advertised), but I am very worried that based on history today and tomorrow will actually be worse.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We have a passionate person, i.e., Gase. Mac is braindead. There is no passion. I'm hoping that Gase kicks Mac's ass (figuratively or literally) before the year is over and gets Mac fired.

ColoradoContrails, NYJetsO12 and CBG like this.
  15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

The play devils advocate perhaps the two are a good combo. Friction isn’t bad.

One is more purposeful the other maybe more compulsive.

Could be a good balance.

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Mac is a pigheaded fool if he doesn't listen to Gase and G Williams. Williams didn't even want the all world wonder Baby Huey?? SMH

OTH now Greg Williams has at least 4 First Rounders (Lee, Mosely, Williams and Williams) playing on his D. For years, the Jets have added capital on defense. I fully expect (there' s that word again lol) he performs a vast improvement here.

#16 NYJetsO12, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    dogg and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I thought Greg Williams woulda been the first to cause discourse.

Wins will bring peace.:rolleyes:

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes, this is what we want. Front Offices should be quiet and analytical , coaching staff more passionate and direct. That's how it should work

19. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

So long as there’s a clear hierarchy that’s one thing...by nature of their job descriptions a GM and coach aren’t supposed to be on the same page. If they were both jockeying for influence over Chris that’s another story, that’s when it could be toxic.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I disagree with that. Adam Gase has already tried (and failed) in this league doing the Gase 'live or die' show. He picked his players in Miami and that was shown to be his weakness. He needs a more calculated general manager to make player moves, even player moves he might not agree with, because he struggles at seeing the bigger picture. This is the BENEFIT of hiring a "retread"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.