Redefining Ground n Pound

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by All Gas No Shake, Nov 1, 2010.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

if youve seen me post then you know that i usually dont have knee-jerk reactions, but the running game is killing me right now

ground n pound is supposed to be the identity of this team. were supposed to be a team that not only runs consistently, but a team that can keep defenses off balance, even when theyre expecting a run

what ive noticed in the games weve struggled to run, is that our running game has become too predictable. im not talking about down and distance type of predictable, im talking about the actual plays

it seems like 80-90% of the time, we run a trap or an iso. yes the formations might be different (3 wide, 2 tight end, weak i, power i) but the plays being run are essentially the same ... with that lack of variety, teams are just run blitzing up the middle and getting us into 2nd/3rd and long

we have one of the most talented o-lines and one of the best o-line coaches in the league, theres no way our running game should be this generic ... where are the tosses, sweeps and stretches (especially to LdT)? where are the draws (which we never run, but insist on running PA off of)?

ground n pound doesnt simply mean pound it up the middle of the defense, it means staying committed to the run, even if some of those runs arent what one would consider "pounding"

anyone else notice the lack of diversity in the run game?

2. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Other teams are content with stacking the box and making us beat them in the passing game. I don't blame them. No team is going to run well until you make the defense respect the pass a little. When we were beating teams in the air earlier in the year, that's what made us scary. Now we've had some setbacks and aren't playing well in the passing game. We are running into a brick wall and will continue to do so until our passing game gets back on track.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

How about the lack of F*** You, here it comes.

Hunter,Turner, Connor and Greene.

Just straight up mauling people early...

Or especially when it's late in a 3 pt game and you cannot establish anything.

4. All Gas No Shake

GB picks up a JAG like howard green, whos only strength is that hes hard to move, yet we continually run directly at them. how does that make sense?

the biggest runs weve had this year have been off of streches, shonn's big runs last year yet were off of tosses, yet we use them sparingly ... how do explain that?

5. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Perhaps you are right. We didn't fare too well on the stretch plays we did run either. Either way, if they passed well, they could have had a lot more success in the run game.

6. Hobbes3259

ITA. Which was kind of my point above.

Yesterday they were moving Ferguson over to Woody..Why, when you have two nasty bastards on the bench ??

You put Hunter and Turner next to Woody with Connor and Greene, and stretch right...someone is getting hurt.

7. Hobbes3259

Well...it was Halloween.

Who would have thought that Anthony Becht and Kyle Brady would be able dress up as Cotchery and Holmes and get in the game...

8. All Gas No Shake

true, but sanchez is still pretty green and were going to have passing days where were a little off ... our running game should be able to carry us in those situations

9. All Gas No Shake

very good point, forgot about those plays

10. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

Since Holmes has come back our offense doesn't scare anyone. Sanchez can't hit anyone in stride as of late and we don't run the ball.

We have become a finese offense instead of the team that is physically going to wear you down.

Note to Schotty playactions DON'T WORK WHEN YOU DONT RUN THE BALL. Schotty since Holmes has returned Sanchez is passing 35-40+ while we run around 20-25......

2nd year QB this MAKES NO SENSE!!!!! These last three games have been hard to watch and unfortunately I've been to two of the three.......

I was really hoping that after the bye week we'd have figured out how to get Holmes into the mix but it seems thats not going to happen... Its such a shame and I can't believe adding a huge weapon like Holmes actually hurt this team because Shotty can't adjust..... Awful

11. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Schotty has no clue how to use the edge. 90% of our running plays are inside the tackles. We never seem to use the entire field and the sidelines to run the ball. I'm getting sick of this, yesterdays play calling looked like the San Diego Chargers run game of last year.

If the zone blocking scheme doesn't work,have some flexibility where we can change to straight up power football, running traps, pulling guards, sweeps etc. Schotty and his cutesy stubborn bullshit have got to go.

12. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

I know LT has been awesome but it would have been nice to try and get Greene going yesterday. the YPC might be the same but I thought Greene was running better.

13. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Schotty only designs runs inside the hashes.

14. All Gas No Shake

fucking mind boggling

15. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

we should have a 60-40 run:pass split. Schotty has been a cutsie ass this year. He thinks that since we have all of these guys to throw to, that the ball should be in the air all day. The key to the Jets offense should be to wear the other teams down to the point where in the 4th quarter you can impose your will on them.

The Jets passed 38 times, ran 29 total times, 22 of which were with running backs (1 was a fake punt, 2 qb runs, 3 brad smith, 1 wr run). The numbers should have been somewhere around 40 runs -27 passes especially against that team.

16. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Give the Packers D some credit at some point guys. Running outside on the Packers isn't exactly easy as they have really good linebackers. The line should have been able to open up huge holes inside but the Packers played it well. The Packers D took away the Jets biggest strength. Well done by them.

17. RedRamage

RedRamage New Member

Running outside on the Lions should be a breeze... our LBs are real weakness. Up the middle will be a bit harder as we have a lot of beef in the DLine. That said, if you get through the DL, expect at least 5-6 yards on every run once you get past the line.

18. All Gas No Shake

sure its not easy, but it would have kept them guessing, which in turn could have softened up the middle lanes ... its one thing to know a run is coming, its another to know where and how. all three have been pretty evident the last few games

19. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

LT was on the verge of breaking some big runs against GB - the holes were there on a couple of plays but for some reason lately he always seems to find the back of an O-lineman or their feet and gets tackled by his own teammate.

20. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Yeah it looked like he and a few others just flat-out slipped/tripped way too much.

All in all it was just a bad day for the offense, nothing went out way and it just sucks to waste such a great defensive performance.

Side note, the Packers punter is great, he had 5 punts inside the 20, only 1 of his 8 punts was returned, (should not have been though) for 0 yards.

He was their MVP yesterday IMO.