Rebuilding the OL through the Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Current OL depth Chart

LT- Adrian Jones, Scott Gragg
    LG- Pete Kendall, Jonathan Goodwin
    C - Kevin Mawae, Jonathan Goodwin
    RG - Brandon Moore, Jonathan Goodwin
    RT - Jason Fabini, Marko Cavka

Assuming that these guys will not be back next season:
    Scott Gragg
    Pete Kendall
    Kevin Mawae
    Jason Fabini

our depth chart is this

LT - <empty>, Marko Cavka
    LG - <empty>, Jonathan Goodwin
    C - <empty>, Jonathan Goodwin
    RG - Brandon Moore, Jonathan Goodwin
    RT - Adrian Jones

We don't know what we have with Cavka and Goodwin shouldn't be anywhere near the Starting Lineup. He's had a few years to get there and yet we keep having to sign veteran free agents.

Looking at the draft I think there are plenty of possible guys to bring in for the future:

OT
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia 6' 5"/295 lbs.
    Marcus McNeill, Auburn 6' 9"/338 lbs.
    Jon Scott, Texas 6' 7"/310 lbs.
    Jeremy Trueblood, Boston College 6' 9"/330 lbs.
    Eric Winston, Miami 6' 7"/310 lbs.
    Andrew Whitworth, LSU 6' 7"/322 lbs.
    Zach Strief, Northwestern 6' 7"/335 lbs.
    Jami Hightower, Texas A&M ― 6' 4"/355 lbs.

OG
    Max Jean-Gilles, Georgia 6' 4"/340 lbs.
    Davin Joseph, Oklahoma 6' 4"/312 lbs.
    Charles Spencer, Pitt 6' 5"/330 lbs.
    Taitusi "Deuce" Lutui, USC 6' 6"/365 lbs.
    Matt Lentz, Michigan 6' 6"/305 lbs.
    Jahri Evans, Bloomsburg ― 6' 4"/335 lbs.
    Mark Setterstrom, Minnesota 6' 5"/317 lbs.

C
    Nick Mangold, Ohio State 6' 4"/290 lbs.
    Greg Eslinger, Minnesota 6' 3"/285 lbs.
    Ryan Cook, New Mexico 6' 7"/316 lbs.
    Mike Degory, Florida 6' 0"/296 lbs.
    Pat Ross, Boston College 6' 4"/295 lbs.
    Chris Chester, Oklahoma 6' 3"/296 lbs.
    Kyle Young, Fresno State ― 6' 5"/320 lbs.
    Chris Morris, Michigan State 6' 4"/298 lbs.

So there are plenty of pretty decent prospects. I think if we do a good job in the draft we could come away with our OL of the future. My favorites are in bold.

2. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

That would be awful. :sad:

3. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

What he said. We need a RT not a left tackle. And lets not count Mawae out quite yet. He may back down from his hard stance in a few days. so instead of a LT we need a RT and LG def'n and possibly a center. I don't think it wise to fill all 3 in the draft. I would like us to get a serviceable center in FA if Mawae actually leaves, but I'm hoping he stays at least one more year.

4. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

first impressions are everything.. Mawae won't be back, and I wouldn't change any offer put on the table to him up to this point... it's that offer or you get your wish...your walking papers.

I hope T stays tuff and doesn't budge on any of the stuff he's doing.. he should have the "it's my way or the highway" approach until we get the ship righted, and thats gonna take some time peeps...

Ellis

5. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Fortunately this is a great draft to be doing something like this. Unless Vince Young falls down to us, we need to trade down and get as many picks as possible (this draft is just too deep).

6. Murrell2878

so you're happy with Adrian Jones at LT?????? I'm a little confused, especially how I didn't think he would be a LT of the future. LT is far more important than RT.

7. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

He will improve with experience and help from his other olineman, him at LT is the least of our problems with the oline

8. Murrell2878

I'm happy with him at RT. He may improve but here's our deal. We will either have an injury riddled QB or a young QB playing for us. I'd really rather avoid the blind siding hit that would kill Pennington or have our young QB worried that everytime he goes back he's going to get killed (David Carr, Joey Harrington). So I think we need to address the LT not the RT either by Free Agency or drafting D'Brickshaw.

9. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Although he is a natural LT and played better there than at RT, his athletism would be best used as an LT, he will simply be overpowered as an RT

10. Murrell2878

I guess I just wasn't very impressed with him...

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

With all the people getting cut around here, we don't need a draft, we need a Brees.

Now, somebody please hit me for saying that. I deserve it.

12. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[​IMG]

13. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Jones is NOT a RT.... did you watch him last year? Given today's news, here is what I see as a possibilty:

Sign FA Bentley at Center. They should have the cap space with all these cuts to get him. McNiell or Scott at 2.4 (after drafting Cutler in the first). Then, a guard in the third, Lutui or Joseph. One rookie on each side of the center. The RT, and the LG.

14. Jones right now is our best lineman bar none(that's if Mawae and Kendall are gone). He's comfortable at LT and still has alot of upside. Unless he's comfortable w/ moving to LG or center, we should leave him be. He is not a good fit at RT.

Assuming he stays at LT and we truly want to rebuild the Ol through the draft here is the way I see it.

First and foremost trade down..and than..a few guys we might consider from each round

Round 1: OT Winston Justice, Usc- Big,strong, versatile and athletic. Think Willie Anderson w/ the ability to play LT
    OT: Jon Scott,Texa- Big, strong, versatile and experienced. This guy is very consistent, smart and whose father played for the jets.
    OT Marcus McNeill,Auburn- Huge guy w/ the ability to dominant in the running game.

Round 2: G- MJ Giles, Georgia- Think Leonard Davis before he moved to LT
    G- Charles Spencer, Pitt- Might have the most upside of any guard in this draft.
    C- Nick Mangold, OSU- Best center prospect since Jeff Faine

Round 3: G Jason Spitz, louisville- Patriots style OL. Not the most athletic but big,strong, smart and versatile.
    C- Patrick Ross, BC- BC Lineman w/ great technique.
    G Rob Sims, OSU- Solid no-nonsense prospect who had a great senior bowl.

15. ThunderbirdJet

Kurt.... we HAVE to get a QB in this draft. That is why I don't see Gillies, Justice (who has some character issues, not a Mangini type) or Mangold being available. Scott or McNiell in the second I can see. Don't like Lutui or Joseph? I can see one of them still there at 3.4.

16. Phyr

Phyr Member

I rather have a franchise LT and a stop gap at RT then a second rate LT and a second rate drafted RT.

17. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

If a Scott, McNeill, or Justice is drafted, that's not a second rate drafted RT.

18. ThunderbirdJet

No shit.... :shakesheadwalksaway:

19. I'm w/ you 100%. I'm just speaking as if the plan is to indeed dedictate this draft to rebuilding the OL, and address othr issues through different sources. Doesnt mean I agree w/ it...this is just the way I'd go about it if I had to.

In a perfect world, we trade down take either Cutler or Young and spend the rest of day 1 addressing the OL.

20. californiajet

californiajet Member

Keep Mawae, cut Fabini, kendall, let Goodwin walk, sign Tom Ashworth and Tony Fonoti to cheap contracts, move Jones to left GAURD...draft
    1) D-brick, LT
    2) Maurice Drew, RB
    3) Greg Eslinger, OC

LT: D-Brick, Morley
    LG: Jones, Moore
    C: Mawae, Eslinger
    RG: Fonoti, Moore
    RT: Ashworth, Cavka

Athleticism on the left, big driver blockers on the right and veteran leadership in the middle...not to mention good depth. Trade Abe for rivers, pair it will Drew as our new RB, cotchery takes over at #2 pushing JMac to the slot, and we are looking pretty good. Sign a midlevel FA DT and our team is looking pretty good