Reason why Chad hasn't been named yet...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by impevan, Aug 10, 2006.

1. impevan

impevan Banned

You know, Cimini, just can't let it go. It bothers him so much that Mangini hasn't named a starter. I've never seen a bigger crybaby in the med...oh wait...I forgot about Cannizzaro.

Is it possible that Mangini hasn't named a starter yet, because he's still unsure about the offensive line? Perhaps he doesn't want to name a starter until he's sure the group of lineman don't kill whomever it is, who is back there.
    Its probably more likely however, that he is just using a tactic that will be used all season, and has been sorely missed around here. Secrecy. If he doesn't name a starter, the other team can't gameplan. I like it. Even though its a preseason game, you play to win the game (right Herm?).

What does not make sense however, is not communicating with the players. Not giving them feedback on how they are doing, I think, is a big mistake. Players need a reason to give everything they've got. They need to know that by giving 120%, it will come with a reward, for example, praise, or playing time. I think this shroud of secrecy to the team is a mistake, but maybe it will change with time. Thoughts?

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

If he doesn't want to name starters at this time, I have no problem with it. After two preseason games, I'm sure players will really know where they stand.

3. realdealramsey

realdealramsey New Member

Well, it seems pretty obvious that Mangini has very little wiggle room with starter. My thought all along has been that Penny's arm issues were the only reason to open the qb competition. A coach has to say that when there are serious doubts about a player's future. When that player rehabs well and looks ready, you have to start him. If indeed Penny is throwing as well as reported, Mangini has no choice but to start him. He can't announce that yet because he "opened" the competition. Is it necessarily the best long term choice for the franchise, maybe not. BTW being someone that has been deeply involved in the career of PR, do not hit the panic button yet. Pat is not the best preseason guy. He needs most of a half to really click, in fact he is a very, very good second half qb. Also btw Spurrier did not give up on pat, as I have seen here, Pat's badly injured foot gave out 11 games into the 03 season. The same season that he led all qbs in yardage after 5 games. Also the same season that spurrier got him killed without one word negative word from Pat. He is a good team player and much smarter than is perceived. Anyway, no way he or KC or BB start the season without a chad injury.

4. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Honestly, I think you're a little off-base. He hasn't named a started yet because he doesn't have to. TC means little to nothing. He needs to see them in a game situation with full contact.

As far as communicating with his players, from my perspective their motivation and praise is not riding the bench. He does in fact give positive feedback though. He doesn't have to lick their boots to give them praise. Once you start praising people you're giving them slack on the leash.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I actually enjoy the fact that he isn't leaking any info. I can't stand basically all of the Jets' writers and take pleasure in the fact they have nothing to write about.

6. teedee83

teedee83 New Member

I was listening to the NFL station on sirius radio this morning and they had Dave Hutchenson? from the Star-Ledger on. Jim Miller was one of the hosts. They all agreed Pennington will be the starter without question, barring injury. They said that Pat R. was having a horrible training camp and that Brooks B. could be the number 2 or maybe someone not on the roster. Hutchenson said he gives Mangini a hard time about not admitting that Chad is the starter. They also said that they may be prolonging naming the starter so Pat R. doesn't get down on himself. They want to try to give him hope so he gets better. I'm not saying I agree with all this, but I do think Chad is starting without question.

7. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

You know, we're still a full month and about 20 practices (at least) away from the season opener. So, with that in mind, I think he has at least another week til he has to name a starter.

8. GreenMachine

Well, you could always go back to a coach that announced his "new" defensive scheme to the world....before camp started.

9. Tight

Tight Active Member

^ I sat here for about 5 mins, im speechless. I dont know what else to say. What is that ?

10. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Question for anyone who has gone to watch Mangini is TC - how was his interation with the player's? I'd imagine that he has done alot of coaching which is a good thing. What about positive feedback though - is it there at all?

11. icecreamtruck

icecreamtruck Member

Not only that, but if you are told you're a starter, you might slack off some. If you're told you're third string, you might accept it and slack off some. Whereas, if it's an open competition throughout, everyone should be giving their 100% to get that starting spot.

12. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I'm glad he is taking his time with decision rather than just throwing the media a bone at the expense of our team like herm would have done.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The other thing to remember is that going into camp Chad was definitely not going to be the walk-over starter until he had fully proven himself. Getting knocked out for the season early on usually creates competition in the next camp and the Jets were no exception this year.

Herm walked away from the Jets at least partly because he could not imagine anybody else starting as QB for the Jets successfully and he also had no idea if Chad was finished or not.