Re-Evaluating Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 3rdAnd15Draw, Oct 29, 2006.

1. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I realize that after today's game everyone wants to focus on the refs, but there are some much deeper issues at hand here besides one tremendously bad call. Not only did Chad Pennington probably play his worst game as a Jet, he played scared for most of the game.

Games like this make you question exactly how far you can go with a QB. He was having passes tipped at the line all day and was clearly rattled and afraid to wing the ball out there after a few of these plays. The 2nd INT might be the worst thrown pass in NFL history. After the Miller TD to get the Jets back in the game he was sulking on the sidelines, halfheartedly giving a high five or two.

While statistically he may have been worse in the Jags game(not sure about this) the difference in the way he played the two games was staggering. We all second guessed the Brad Smith on 3rd down "trickery" but after watching Pennington scared to even throw the ball up on 3rd downs you have to wonder if they weren't the right calls.

We all know that Pennington is not the most physically gifted QB in the league, but he is usually able to compensate for that with his intelligence and heart. With neither of those on display today it really makes you think that the future lies with either Kellen Clemens or Brad Smith behind center, and the sooner the Jets face up to that fact the better off they'll be.

2. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I don't understand what your expecations of Pennington were. First thing, let me say that we should have won the game and Pennington should have played better. However, you are ready to throw him under the bus because of a bad game. He has been the sole reason that we have 4 wins this year. Do you seriously think that we have 4 wins with Clemmens? We owe it to him to let him play out a full season and see what he can do.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If Chad continues to play like he did today, I am going to have a hard time disagreeing with you.

4. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

in the first game of the doubleheader, i saw herm's #2 guy, huard, play much better and he can zip passes in there at long distance.
    you don 't see a 'franchise' qb get a 21.1 rating against a 2-5 team.
    like i already said- he's just a hold-the-fort guy. doesn't have an nfl arm to win a championship.
    watching a namath , then watching this guys duck passes makes you realize he's not going to get the ring unless he's a backup behind someone else. :sad:

5. BenGrahamFan

BenGrahamFan Member

Just the fact you actually included Brad Smith in the discussion of our QB of the future nullifies your entire post. What part of he wasn't drafted to be a QB do you guys not understand?? There's a reason he only runs the ball when he takes the snaps!

6. GreyhoundJet

I love how after Penningtons good weeks we talk about how his arm strength is fine and good enough to win games. Then when we lose games we start talk about his arm strength. He had a bad game. Every QB has bad games in a season.

7. BenGrahamFan

BenGrahamFan Member

I laugh at the idiots who blame his arm strength for the 2nd INT considering 2 plays before that he overthrew Coles on a pass that went about 60 yards in the air. But no, the ball is spinning in the air like a Ben Graham punt yet it's because his arm is just that weak...

He sucked today...deal with it. Big Ben was horrid today also...I bet you Steelers fans aren't ready to crucify him, and his mistakes hurt his team alot more than Chad's did today. And you guys seem to keep forgetting, if the right call was made Chad would have thrown the game tying TD pass after leading them on a 2 minute drive...and you would have been kissing his ass and praising him for battling back. But once again, let's pin it on his arm strength and talk about the Kellen Clemens era starting

8. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

What pisses me off:

Flip Flop Chad fans who praise his good weeks then act like hes always been garbage on his bad weeks. Either pick a side for good or stfu and get the fudge out.....

9. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

If there's anything positive about mr.nyjet, it's that he's consistent.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'll pick a side Dino.

Chad had a bad week.

His second bad week of the season.

I would say it is due to his shoulder being tired.

He hasn't played for this amount of time in awhile.

It is impressive.

He still basically tied the game today. (Here I am bringing the call into this thread too)

Chad will be fine after the break.

Hopefully he can lead us to a victory in New England.

11. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Most people realize that arm strength isn't a prerequisite to win games. However, if you don't have it you need to play smart football and be very accurate.

Chad hasn't played for a few weeks now. It isn't one bad game. Pennington has always been known for his smarts and accuracy. Both were absent today.

Overthrow coles by 10 yards? throw a few at the feet of the receiver? Air mail one to Washington in the flat? He wasn't even close today except for that last pass. Look, the offense scored 6 points today, against Cleveland.

12. GreyhoundJet

And Ben Roethlisberger threw 4 interceptions (2 for TDs) against Oakland. Every QB has a bad game. Pennington has led this team to 4 wins which is much more than was expected. So, he hasn't played well the last three weeks. Why didn't you bring this up the last two weeks. You know why: because we won. Nobody brings up the faults when we win, only when we lose. If he leads us to a win it seems good enough for you even if he does play bad. However, the second he plays bad and we lose you jump all over him.

13. 3rdAnd15Draw

Exactly. If people had bothered to read my initial post they would see that I'm not complaining about his lack of arm strength. Anyone that's followed the Jets during his career knows that his arm strength is below average.

What made a game like today so disconcerting was that he mentally checked out after having a few passes tipped. He was afraid to throw the ball and extremely erratic on even the short passes that he threw.

14. 3rdAnd15Draw

Stop the Roethlisberger nonsense. This isn't a Roethlisberger thread, first of all. Second of all he's clearly playing injured and had no business even being out on the field.

15. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

the real question is: can he win a championship?

the answer is no. he can manage a game, and could get you to the playoffs with a superior team surrounding him.

but, he won't get you a ring. he does not have a good enough arm. never did.

too many people root for the chad jets, instead of the new york jets.
    it's like a skins fan rooting for the brunell redskins. he might have gotten them into the playoffs, but they wouldn't go anyplace once there. he didn't get the job done in jax either.

you have to see pennyboy for what he is. he's no namath, favre, bradshaw, elway, etc.
    those are the facts. if you want to see a trophy/ring, it won't be with him as the starter. period.:sad:

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Chads accuracy was off today and it was weird. I'd never seen him miss so many open guys... I Think he will shake it off though. People are overreacting.

17. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

The reason we don't make a huge issue Chad's bad play in losses is because the team won...and that's what matters. I figure that he'll be better the next week.

But the fact of the matter is that Chad has been trending downward the last three games and finally he cost the Jets the game. He led the team to 3 points in the final 55 minutes of the game.

18. GreyhoundJet

I just made this post in another thread but I'll do the same thing again. Do you seriously think that it would be better to start Clemmens this year. Would we win more games with him? Personally, I think Pennington has been the crucial factor in our turnaround this year. I also believe that he is capable of winning a championship if he has the right people around him. There have been weaker QBs who have superbowl rings.

19. 3rdAnd15Draw

To put an even finer point on it, Chad led the Jets offense for just 110 yards on 40 plays outside of the opening drive.

20. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

is this thread for serious...