Lamar Jackson

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 7, 2023.

?

Should the Jets go after Lamar?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

While I love Lamar and really appreciate what he has done, his best years may already be behind him.
    His style of play is not going to fruit him a long NFL career, you have just as much of a chance of getting 2 solid seasons out of Rodgers as you do Jackson at a much lower cost compensation wise.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I know this is a Jets thread, but this guy brings up an interesting point. Trade your pick down, get extra assets then go after Lamar?

3. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

If it didn’t require two frost rounders I would be in if ar12 doesn’t work out

4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

You don’t think players laugh at Cleveland’s face when they gave Watson the guarantee contract while he was under investigation, and still not out if it??? And just when many here thought Daniel Jones would never got close to $40M and he did? I think Lamar is a steal for $32M if you ask me.
    Compare to Wilson’s it may not be a bad idea to just give up two number #1 picks while JD can find a reasonable deal for Lamar.

#24 MDJets, Mar 7, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This would be a great way to continue to waste the potential of Garrett Wilson.

No thank you.

Savatage and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  6. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

No brainer JD should go after Lamar. Sign Mike White as our capable backup and keep drafting all OL - we're good.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

If they wanted to keep him at all cost, they wouldn't allow him to be available. They are hoping someone bites. No chance I believe this.

No team would allow their "star" QB to even sniff this type of possibility of walking out the door, unless, they were okay with him walking out that door.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

The 1st you're giving up has to be your original pick (or higher).

My question along these lines is, what if a team waits until after the draft to sign Lamar to the offer sheet? Because if I'm the Jets, I'm much more interested if I'm not giving up the 13th pick in this draft. Does it move on to the next two picks at that point? That'd make me much more comfortable, as the probable picking position for the Jets after Lamar Jackson is installed as QB goes down meaningfully, in my opinion - I don't expect that the Jets would pick 13th again in 2024 or 2025 if Jackson is the QB.

All Gas No Shake and KY Jets Fan like this.
  9. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I can’t imagine a team waiting until may to know if they have a qb when all the other options are gone.

10. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

See I think they’re just waiting for the open market to set his price. They’ve been at a major impasse because he’s asking for a fully guaranteed contract for 6+ years at an astronomical rate. LJ is not negotiating in good faith, he’s demanding an unprecedented contract. I think BAL doesn’t feel there’s a team willing to give him that. I think if LJ signs a contract with another team that’s roughly in line with what BAL expects to pay for him, they’ll match it. Just my opinion. LJ doesn’t have an agent is is way out of his mind. Sometimes the only way to talk sense into a guy is to let the market show him he’s not worth what he thinks.

11. IIMeanDeanII

It's too much of a gamble, you are opening the door to other teams, teams that have shown over the years just how stupid and desperate they are willing to be In cases like this.

You think If D. Watson can get that type of contract under the amount of scrutiny he was under, that Jackson wont come close to that? Without anywhere close to that level of dirty laundry..

Teams are fucking desperate, If there Is a window, teams will likely explore that. Especially when It comes to the all mighty QB position.

If the Ravens truly wanted to keep him, they would've given him the exclusive tag, paid the 13 million more, and continued to negotiate a long term deal from there.

They are baiting the league.

We shall see.

I just hope we aren't the desperate team trying to retain him. I will absolutely fucking despise It, he's not worth that money or compensation as a player. IMO

Jets79, abyzmul and bicketybam like this.
  12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Yes, but don’t forget they’re not allowing him to talk to teams now. They’re waiting until he’s officially signed the Franchise Tag. They’ve already lost one potential suitor in NO and are about to lose us. If they actually want him out they’d be granting him permission to talk to teams last week.

13. IIMeanDeanII

They can't prevent that from happening with this tag. If this Is the direction they go, which by all reports and proclamations by the GM, It Is. Teams will be there to do just that. It's unpreventable with this designation.

14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Look at what Daniel Jones just got. Lamar is going to want a fuck ton more. Hard pass.

Savatage and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I think you’re misunderstanding. He can’t sign the Franchise tag until next week. At that point BAL can’t stop him from seeking offers. But from last week to this point, BAL can allow him to speak to other teams and get a head start knowing they’ll tag and trade. They’re not doing that, they’re denying Lamar the ability to speak with teams. That’s not indicative of a team trying to let him go. They’d facilitate every opportunity if that was the case.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  16. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

It'll be very interesting to see what market is out there for Lamar. I like Lamar but he's gotta understand that the Watson contract isn't gonna happen "for him". I would love Lamar on the Jets and two first rounders is a bargain. Lamar would make our offense electric with a top tier defense. Just can't guarantee a full contract.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is still an extremely long shot even if we miss out on Rodgers. Baltimore can match any offer. It could be just that they don't want to negotiate against themselves, since Lamar is asking for fully guaranteed money. They may want to see what the fair market is, and then just match it. Not as impossible as it looked before, but still very improbable. We have to stick to the plan and get Rodgers. Only if that falls through, we can address Lamar.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  18. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

Baltimore is betting that collusion and the fact that no one will do a Cleveland Deshaun Watson deal ever again. It’s a shame for Cleveland that they could have just rolled with baker one more year and just traded for Lamar for way less draft capital.

stinkyB and abyzmul like this.
  19. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Genuinely I don't know if I am the only one who thinks Lamar is a bad QB. I think the Ravens have gotten the best out of his skillset but fundamentally he is not a good passer and can only thrive in the specific scheme the Ravens run. And even then, I question just how long Lamar can keep the illusion up that he is a top tier QB, especially as the foundations around him crumble naturally as time goes on. Having purely evaluated him from watching, it is unsurprising that I go to his stats and see his decision making indicators are among the worst in the league. I want no part of Lamar Jackson, I think he'll be a backup QB in 5 years time at most.

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't think it would waste GW. Might waste guys like Elijah, Berrios, Uzomah, etc. though.

Mark Andrews has done very well the last few years with Lamar, granted they play different positions, but I think GW would instantly become the best WR Lamar has had in his career so far. GW would get his.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.