Rashard Mendenhall??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DougBrien'sABum, Apr 13, 2008.

1. DougBrien'sABum

DougBrien'sABum New Member

I haven't heard much talk about this guy at all lately. But after watching his highlights I think he can be just as much as a home run threat as McFadden with the durability of a true franchise RB. Just wanted to see what the general consensus on him was...and discuss any possibility of a draft day scenario.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2008/video/

#1 DougBrien'sABum, Apr 13, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

A few people have mentioned his name here. I would love to have him on the team. The guy's a tank and will be a lot mor durable than McFadden. Much of McFadden's game relies on him getting into the open field and making slower (college) defensemen miss. He's not going to be able to do the same in the NFL at the RB position, WR maybe.

3. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

if we traded down into the early teens i would take him into strong consideration.

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

The Jets do not need a running back. On the list of needs, it might be the lowest need. The Jets need a pass rusher, an inside LB, OL depth, CB depth, and a WR far more than a RB. What in the world is wrong with Jones, Washington and Chatman???

5. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Unless we do some pick swapping on draft guy, Mendenhall is definitely gonna get taken between our first and second picks.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That's true but McFadden will still be who they take if he is on the board when they choose. Mendenhall won't be on the radar at all. If they trade down it will be for some of the positions you mention.

7. InChadWeTrust

InChadWeTrust New Member

Which is precisely why you haven't heard much about him on this message board. It's pretty much known that we won't really get a shot at drafting him unless there is some draft position trades going on.

8. Joe Willie White Shoes

I will be completely shocked if the Jets draft McFadden. I put the odds at about 10%, even if both Longs and Gholston are off the board. I see the Jets clearly going defense with the pick. If the Longs and Gholston are off the board, I see the Jets taking Rivers or Harvey. McFadden is not built for every down NFL play and the Jets don't need him.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It would be an insane waste of the pick and money to take either of those two at #6. Maybe if they trade down but then I already said if they trade down those would be the type of players they would take. If they don't then I still say they will take McFadden if he is the only one left.

10. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Chester Taylor was a pretty good RB too.

11. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Nothing, for this year. But Jones is a grandpa in RB years, Washington isn't a full-time back, and Chatman is on a one-year deal.

12. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I really enjoyed watching him this year, since I live in IL. He can be very good in the right system.

13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Then draft a RB next year. Or pick one on the 2nd day. But don't waste an early first round pick on a player just because he gained yards in college and ran fast at the combine.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

He has a ton of potential but I don't see how anyne could put him on the same level as McFadden as a prospect. It is the product of these so called experts trying to be different from everyone else and overanalyzing.

15. DougBrien'sABum

DougBrien'sABum New Member

After watching his highlights I'm not thinking he would be a decent RB. This guy has just as much potential as McFadden to be great, after watching his highlights I think he might be worth trading down for if the right deal hapens.

16. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

RB in the draft

If the Jets Draft a RB and not a pass rusher who we sorely missed last year or and OL to proctect our QB, which we sorely missed last year. Then on draft day after that first pick I will be just like Joe Namath on the Monday night game but worse.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

are you aware of our FA acquisitions?

i would like a pass rusher over a RB, but we are not bleeding from those positions anymore.

18. JetsLookingforDWare

Theres a chance he goes in the top 10...hell theres a chance he goes before the almighty McFadden.

19. Joe Willie White Shoes

The Jets shored up the OL, but who is the pass rusher they acquired in free agency?????? Pace? His career high is 6 1/2 sacks. The Jets are still sorely lacking a pass rusher and that need dwarfs the need for a RB. If the Jets draft McFadden, I will be both shocked and incredibly disappointed. I happen to think drafting McFadden, or any RB, at # 6 would be an incredible waste of money and a top pick.

20. Unfortunately sir, unless Gholston is there, and/or we can trade down...you're gonna be in the minority. McFadden is projected to be the best player available at # 6 in many scenario's...and the next best pass rusher available(Derrick harvey) does not have equal value till at least the # 9 pick.

I can understand and agree that the team has bigger needs...but insisting that DMAC doesnt help this team is insane. He adds depth, competition, a long term answer after Jones,additional options schematically and a bonafide home run threat. All w/ the satisfaction of knowing he was the best player on the board when we were on the clock.

As for us not addressing the pass rush. There are acouple things you need to consider...

1. The acquisition of Pace allows Bryant Thomas to move back to weakside, where 2 years ago he put up 8 1/2 sacks. Pace is also a pass rush upgrade over Hobson at strong side. Those 2 notions should equate to at LEAST 5 more sacks this year.

2. The improved run defense w/ the additions of Jenkens, Pace and the continued development of Harris...should improve the pass rush as teams wont be trying to run draws/play action against us every chance they get and our LB's wont be as worn down.

3. Just b/c we dont take a guy in round 1 who can get ater the passer doesnt mean we wont address it later. There are plenty of guys in this draft who could be there in round 2 and 3, that can get after the passer quite well.

I think it's important to keep a best player available mentality. Reaching for need is what gets franchises like our's in trouble. Unless Gholston/C long is there at 6...or we can tradedown..unfortunately pass rusher isnt a good option for us in round 1.

#20 KurtTheJetsFan, Apr 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2008