Ranking Jets Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Sep 8, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

#1 ouchy, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

"John Franklin-Myers was an elite pass rusher last year. Only Stephon Tuitt and Aaron Donald produced pressure on a greater percentage of their pass-rush snaps than Franklin-Myers did among defensive tackles."

Extremely reasonable to think some of those pressures turn into sacks given he's not eating up blocks as a 3-4 IDL.

Jerryjeudy, themorey and Noam like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's not controversial. Franklin-Myers has been a solid player with upside and the roster is still bottom ten in the league.

It only feels controversial for those that think this is a good team already.

Michael Nania is also way too into using what he thinks are advanced analytics. It's fun to look at all that stuff and everything but it doesn't paint a true picture. There's a much more human element to football than other sports.

Analytics can be applied to sports like baseball because it's rather cut and dry. A guy hits the ball to the left side 75% of the time regardless of what type of pitcher he's facing - you obviously shift. It's not that easy to break down because the goal of the plays and responsibilities for all 22 players are not easily defined.

IDFjet, Ralebird, PJ4Ever and 3 others like this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I think the analytics sweet spot is in situational football -- When to go for it on 4th, when to punt, kick a FG, go for 2, etc.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

actually think the list was pretty fair and well done

PJ4Ever and Noam like this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree. It was a good well thought out list. But everything Nania does is well thought out. It might be argued that his rankings are based to much on analytics but there are few people that do more Jet analysis and study than Nania. One does not have to always agree with him to respect him. I wish the beat writers would do 25 percent of the work he does.

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Wait a minute, in the TE discussions after I slated Brown, I was told he is one of the top special team players.

55. TE Daniel Brown
    Daniel Brown does not bring a signature skill to the table. He struggles as a blocker and does not produce as a receiver. While he has been trusted to play a big role on special teams, his production in that phase as a blocker and tackler has not been great, either.

Which is it?

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's trash all around.

Jets69 and K'OB like this.
  9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

He is one of Boyer's favorites and he was ranked by one site this off season as our best ST player last year but we were very weak on ST players last year. Keeping Brown on tge roster might be more about giving Boyer an extra gift in addition to the expensive gift he got in Hardee. If you recall Boyer had other suiters and when we resigned Boyer this spring we immediately then resigned Brown.

K'OB likes this.
  10. K'OB

Shame Gase tried to piss him off by dumping his favourite ST player a day after he told the world that Cannon was the best gunner we had...

Gase, we will see about that Boyer lol

Another dumb as fuck move by Gase.

Still it begs the question that if people think he is dog shit what is it that Boyer (who everybody agrees is a good ST coach) sees in him?

Noam likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/ravens-sign-running-back-trenton-cannon-to-53-man-roster

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

themorey likes this.
  13. K'OB

14. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Fun read! He put a lot of careful thought into that. Respect.

I'm already hoping he updates the rankings a few times as the season progresses.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why does anyone at all care what some nobody like "This guy," Nania has to say about anything at all? He's a fanboi with apparently a lot of time on his hands, nothing more and now is collecting his own fanbois who hang on his every word. I don't get it.

ouchy likes this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Said the guy averaging over 1000 posts per year on a New York Jets message board.

You sound jealous, or more accurately, you sound like you’re leaning into this Cimini thing.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How does any of this make sense or respond to what I posted? I asked why this guy Nania gets so much attention and you mention three things that have absolutely nothing to do with the guy. Try to keep up.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Do you disagree with his rankings here? They seem pretty accurate overall to me.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No disrespect but most fans wouldn’t know diddly shit about special team stand outs, except for perhaps the punt and kickoff returners.

#19 LAJet, Sep 9, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    K'OB and Noam like this.
  20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself, I have kind of a fetish for lists and rankings. I like the idea of merging player strength vs. position strength in a list like this, and I appreciate the care and effort he put into it. Also, I'm not at all an expert about X's and O's or Jets personnel, so I find the tidbits about the marginal players informative and digestible.

By the way, whose opinion is worth checking out if not his? Serious question.