Ramifications of the Ohio State vs. Clemson game

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BudJet, Jan 2, 2021.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

First thing I must say is Fields showed me alot in this game. His ability to run, throw the deep ball, throw with accuracy,, play through pain due to an injury he received during the game. He put on a clinic. I feel much better sitting at #2. So what does it all mean. 1) it makes losing out on TL easier to handle knowing there is a very good option at QB if we choose to go in that direction. 2) it increases the value of the pick should we want to trade back. I was down on Fields & was leaning towards Wilson, but Fields has given me reason to want him. He is physically built better for the nfl than Wilson, has played better competition, & he's done it for more than a year. If Fields has a good game vs. Alabama, it will be a no brained to pick him at #2. I will be the first to admit I was swayed away from Fields by listing to the media. They had Wilson #2 behind TL & Fields #3 due to his inconsistent play his past few games. I still like Wilson, but I think Fields would be the safer, better pick. Who knows, if he plays well vs. Alabama, he may be the Jags pick at #1....crazier things have happened. Any way you look at it, we are sitting pretty at #2 with many options. Lawrence 1a, Fields 1b, Wilson 1c. I would feel good with either of the 3. I think it would be a mistake for JD to pass up on a QB & stick with Darnold. It is going to be a interesting but long off season. It wouldn't surprise me if the phone is already ringing in JD's office from QB needy teams that want to trade up.

#1 BudJet, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  2. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

The life of a Jets fan...smh... lol.

AJW, JetsKickAss and Cman68 like this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Oh, that irony must sting a little, no?

Cman68 likes this.
  4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

The biggest ramification is probably the trade value of the #2 pick if JD wants to move down. I’m sure a few more scouts will be higher on Fields now.

As far as the player picks go, I didn’t see much to change current opinion. I saw plenty of elevated stats and not much NFL-readiness.

The fundamentals of the game remain the same (and Clemson didn’t do the basic stuff well)

5. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

If we take Fields, he'll be a bust. If we pass on him, he'll be Joe Montana. Such is life as a Jets fan.

boozer32, REVISion, Jetrik and 13 others like this.
  6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Wilson/Fields over Darnold

7. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

It's crazy to think that Jax actually has MORE pressure on their pick than the Jets. While I still believe Lawrence needs to be their pick (and should be), they will have to deal with the what ifs. If they draft TL and Fields ends up being the better QB, people will say "you saw it right in front of you when them both on the same field, how did you pass on Fields?" Us at 2 we just take whichever Jax doesn't and don't have the "pressure" of passing up the right QB.

UNLESS of course if Wilson ends up being the best of them all and we draft him at 2 instead lol. Would be just our luck......

But MAN was Fields impressive last night. Consider me sold.

I also now hope that all the silly keep Sam and draft Sewell nonsense can end. Talking about 2 bad football/financial decisions rolled into 1.

1) paying a VERY below average QB like a top 15 QB, which they would have to do if they decide to keep him. Mind bogglingly dumb. New coach, new start. Start the QB salary clock back to zero and build around the rookie QB with additiona draft assets already in the back (and from a Sam trade) and a ton of cap space, It's not unrealistic to be competing for the division in year 2 of this coach/QB combo.

2) drafting a LT at 2 after drafting one at 11 last year, so essentially drafting and paying for a non premium position (having to move one of them to RT) in the top 11 picks of a draft and asking for a financial headache with one of the players that will be a problem in 1 year, when the player and agent realize they are losing millions by being played out of position

It's Fields or Wilson. After last night and with a good performance against Bama, It would be Fields for me.

8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Lawrence, Fields or Wilson the pick is a QB at #2

9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I said it about Darnold, and i was correct, ill say it now, mark it, add my signature whatever you want.

Fields will be a bust, nothing about this game changed his status. He is NOT and NFL qb. Clemson has a small defense and they were just overmatched against Ohio State. Looked like high schoolers playing a college team. Guys running wide open and TE look like gronk playing on kyle wilson. This is in no way indicative of success in the NFL.

What i see are the same things ive said beforw, he doesn't progress thru reads fast and well enough, the arm talent is NON existant, his deep ball is terrible and inconsistent. I believe it was the first or second TD drive he massively underthrew a WR running away from 2 DBs. The one he did connect took every strength he had to make, you cant be like that and be successful in the NFL. The defensive players will be faster than him. He is not an NFL qb. Mark it down.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

10. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

So we draft a new QB. Save the $ and build an offense with other new draft players and FA players.

Well the question is...do you feel lucky punk? Well...do ya?

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He is probably the hardest evaluation I’ve ever had to do because he’s had 2 out of 7 games this year that was absolute garbage vs NW and Indiana. Then he wipes the floor with a couple scrub teams and destroys Clemson.

His toughness, deep ball accuracy, arm strength and ability to use his feet looked very impressive in this game. This was vintage Russell Wilson by Justin Fields.

BudJet, Freddy Mondo, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

lol he stood in the pocket and legit took one stride and launched it with guys coming to him in the pocket at least 60 yards. It was a dime. His arm is non existent is a bad take. He also got his insides destroyed while doing this as well. A weird take when both his deep balls landed right in the bread baskets for both WR’s.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Fields showed a lot last night. Looked like anything other than a typical OSU Qb. After getting drilled, he settled in and put on a clinic. He stopped running and managed the offense just like a real NFL Qb. That being said, the value of our pick skyrocketed last night. If JD is still restocking the roster, QB might not be a priority and if that's the case, he'll parlay that #2 into a nice haul. Darnold was not a JD pick so his roster spot is not guaranteed by any stretch. It will be up to the new HC and GM to get together and chart a course. I can see this going either way. JD rolls with Darnold one more year and continues restocking the roster with the avalanche of picks we'll have. I can see JD drafting QB as well. I can also see JD drafting a QB later in the 1st round depending on who is available. My gut feeling is JD continues stocking the roster with high rd talent on offense. Particularly the WR position and OL. We still need an Edge..

Darnold for all his faults can still be a hold the fort guy while we continue restocking. Depending on what teams offer for our pick, JD would be crazy not to listen. Fields is a good college QB and might be a good Pro. We're a long ways from being relevant again though and sometimes you have to pass on the shiny new toy and get what you really need instead of what you really want.

#13 Cman68, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Its hardly a bad take in fact its an actual take. They didnt even bother to cover the guy cuzbthey didnt think he could make the throw. Hes going to be a bust. No offense i value my evaluations more than anyones elses.

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think everyone is impressed with Fields he looked awesome last night. He’s got one more huge test vs basically a pro D in Alabama.

that game will be the biggest test for me

BudJet, JETS1116, AndyDrums and 4 others like this.
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

While I agree with you, I’m going to make a friendly suggestion, we have both been here for a while now, don’t try and convince anyone on this forum, it’s like politics, guys have already made up their minds and nothing you say will change it.

17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Aint that the truth lol

Red Menace likes this.
  18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

What if Jacksonville takes Fields?

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Then we run to the podium faster than the Colts did when they took Luck

REVISion, sackexchange, Borat and 7 others like this.
  20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

You can make your own evaluations but to say he doesn’t have arm talent is an awful “evaluation”. He may not amount to anything because who knows at this point but that’s just a false take.