Quick fix or long build?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by wellemann, Jan 1, 2021.

1. wellemann

wellemann Member

The last couple of weeks have started some really interesting debates, when it concerns team building.

There seems to be more or less of a consensus.

Fix it NOW!
    We have cap space and could go out and sign free agents at OG, WR, TE, EDGE, CB and so on.
    Right now we would have to pay a premium to get guys like Scherff, Juju etc.

Then the idea would be to draft a pro ready qb with #2 and give him weapons, so we can be competitive in a season or two.

But could there be an alternative? Perhaps a longer build? Are we close enough to succes, that we can fix it that quick?

To me it seems like we are faaaar away. Even with new starters coming in free agency we would no depth, and we would use up a lot of cap space, that could be useful when resigning our own picks.

Wher would it put us, if the trade down from #2? Get even more picks. For this year, and next.
    Get a qb later in the draft, that would need to sit for a year, and build more on all the holes this roster has right now.
    Or get draft capital for 2022 or 2023 so the team is build and then we draft the messias-qb.

This organisation has tried to fix things for decades. Perhaps its time to stop rushing it and do thing another way.

ouchy and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Get as many picks as we can and hope Douglas understands the draft as well as he seems to based on 2020.

The Jets aren't a dumpster fire right now. The whole street is burning and the problems begin at the ownership and go downhill from there.

In that light a quick fix seems like a disaster in the making particularly since we've seen the quick fixes of the past blow up spectacularly when they went bad.

Quick fixes in order:

2019 - The Jets have gone 5-11, 5-11 and 4-12. The quick fix is bring in a lot of free agent talent to help the young QB get over the top. The Jets spend $100M+ getting C.J. Mosely, Leveon Bell, Jamison Crowder and a bunch of lesser free agents. They trade for DeMaryius Thomas and Kelechi Osmele. They go 1-7 out of the gate rendering that spending spree completely null and void. Crowder is the only one pulling his weight and he's a slot receiver. The Jets high-priced free agent fix of the year before Trumaine Johnson is a disaster at CB and winds up on IR. The ILB they brought in for 2018 Avery Williamson winds up on IR for the whole season, another $16M guaranteed contract that went bad. The Jets wind up 7-9 but 2020 will tell the tale.

2015 - The Jets have gone 6-10, 8-8, 4-12. The quick fix is bring in a lot of talent to help the young QB get over the top. The Jets spend $80M+ getting Darrell Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Buster Skrine, Marcus Gilchrist and James Carpenter. They make a trade for Brandon Marshall and in a lesser move they trade for Ryan Fitzpatrick. The moves work for the year boosting the Jets to 10-6 when Fitzpatrick takes over after Geno gets his jaw broken. However 2016, 2017 and 2018 will tell the tale leading up to the next quick fix above.

2011 - The Jets have gone 9-7, 9-7, 11-5. The quick fix to an aging roster is to bring in more aging players. They bring in Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason to fix problems at WR. They have street meat dotted all over the roster because their free agent splurges of years past have started to catch up on the cap. What we get out of that wonderful sequence is this terrible decade of football. Note that every year from 2007 onwards the Jets have made quick fixes, this is not a 2011 entry it really should be 2007-2011. And the Jets can't draft for their life which will make the coming decade one of the worst in NFL history.

With all of this on the resume it would take a fool to decide that 2021 is a good candidate for a quick fix, but we have a young QB and we need to get him over the top so we will try a quick fix...

The one golden thing about 2020 is that the owners are not swimming in the usual cash stream that owning a professional team in the tristate area produces. It is going to take foolhardiness as well as foolishness to think the Jets are a quick fix away from being anything other than a bad team trying to build at this point.

wellemann likes this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I have no issue rolling with a vet at QB for a year or two while building up the team so that the next QB taken with a high pick walks into a good situation. Might not be the popular choice here though. The quick fixes haven't worked out to well for us. Build a core through the draft, supplement that core with FA's, and get a QB who can be developed into a FQB.

4. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I think it needs to be a little of both.

JD needs to build the scouting department so that there is a team identity no mayter who the head coach or QB is. There are seasons of injury or difficult schedules or whatever the case is.

At the same time, the goal is to win every year. The issue is that while the identity is being formed, this first cycle DOES require patience. Once we are well into the winning blueprint cycle the down years don’t feel like the end of the world anymore.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A down year in a good organization tends to look like an up year in Jetland.

Good organizations don't go 4-12 ever. And by ever I mean it just doesn't happen. That's because their roster never ages out en masse and they don't allow street meat to make it out of camp. They don't sign a big free agent unless the guy is the last piece in the puzzle and even then they usually go for a mid-range fix not a top out because spending top dollar on a free agent is the quickest way to piss off the rest of your locker room, who being in a good organization and contributing to that expect the money to stay in house - albeit spread around more evenly.

With the exception of a star QB or pass rusher $15-20M/yr players are for bad organizations that want to market around them. The locker room hates that kind of marketing. The kind they want is $2M here and $4M there and everybody worth playing is also worth paying more than vet minimum.

But you can't market that kind of distribution except in the W-L column and bad organizations can't market the W-L column so they do stupid things with their money instead.

Red Menace and ukjetsfan like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While I agree that this team has tried too many "quick fixes"/retunes/rebuilds on the fly, and they have failed miserably, I think we have more talent than many posters think. It could take longer than I think, but I think we can become competitive by 2022.

With our cap space I'd like to see us sign one of A. Robinson, C. Godwin, and K. Golladay, one of J. Thuney and B. Scherff, and Jonnu Smith. I could be mistaken, but think we'd have space to do that. If we have additional cap space, I'd love for them to sign a 2nd tier Edge.

Aside from Lawrence, I don't know if there is another pro-ready QB. I think both Lance and Wilson have a lot of promise and potential, but they may need to sit for half a season or even a whole season. Personally, I hope that JD really likes one or both of Lance and Wilson. if he does and has one of them rated as being worthy of a top 5 or top 10 pick, then he needs to take him either at #2 or trade down 2-3 spots and take him. I don't think we can get greedy and trade down a long way or we'll miss on both.

Our offense needs a LOT of work. We need a new starting QB, a new starting RB, two new starting OGs and improved depth on the OL. We need two more WRs, and probably another starting-caliber TE. I don't think our D is that far away. Our DL is in great shape. ILB should be very good for the next year or two with Mosley and Hewitt. We need an elite Edge and a #1 CB, maybe a SS, and improved depth in the secondary and LBs. We also need a K.

There are only two things that I think will cause the rebuild to go slower than I think. One, is if JD fails to get a QB in the draft this year. That will make it harder to get a FQB in subsequent drafts, and will slow the development of our offense. Two, is if JD misses on a bunch of the draft picks or wastes some of them trading up.

7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Look if you draft well your team gets better it’s really that simple. It’s not a quick fix it’s extremely extensive research on prospects and hoping the ones you like are there to be picked. 2 solid drafts can completely change the make up of a team.

Red Menace, KurtTheJetsFan and Br4d like this.
  8. Rockinz

So since Friday night you went from Fields not even on your radar to the best QB in the draft lol

give it a rest man who u trying to fool

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm voicing my opinion. If you don't like it, too effing bad. I'm not trying to fool anyone.

If anything you are the one trying to fool people. You speak in such absolutes like you're an expert and you're one of the most clueless posters on this or any Jets fan site. You don't have facts straight, and I'm surprised that you haven't latched onto some boom or bust prospect again and touting him. You still may be before the draft. So you are the one who should give it a rest.

#9 NCJetsfan, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  10. Rockinz

Ya you are right I don’t dive into stats much and sometimes that does bite me when evaluating a prospect but if you look at my track record over the years and the prospect I liked they have turned out to be pretty good pros especially with Allen and DK that I went all in on, on this board. It takes confidence in your evaluation skills to post positive comments and start threads on prospects you believe in that others feel won’t be much of anything.

I have another boom or bust prospect for you this year. Chris Olave! I watched a bunch of film on Fields and I keep coming away with how impressed I am with his polished route running, speed and strong hands.