Question re: GAME THREADS

Discussion in 'Game Threads' started by Greener Pass-tures, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Greener Pass-tures

Greener Pass-tures New Member

Let me start out by saying that while I am a relatively new poster, I have been reading these boards for quite a while. But, I need some answers about the Game Threads. I don't get them. To me, they have the potential to be so much more effective and useful.

The problem I'm referring to is that it seems like no one within the thread is actually interested in reading anything - just posting as much as they possibly can.

For example, any given page in the thread usually looks like this:

Leon for 4 (posted 8x)
    Incomplete! (posted 5x)
    [Meaningful post that gets swallowed up in 0.6 seconds]
    Nice Punt!!!!! (posted 6x)

Now, the only explanations I can come up with is that:

1) People just want to increase their post count - some have a mentality on this board that the higher your post count is then: the more you love the jets; the more you know about football; the cooler you are; the hotter your gf/wife is; etc...

2) There is some sort of prize/satisfaction that comes with being the first one to report Leon gained 4 yards.

If either of the above are true, that's fine - I'm really just curious. I don't typically participate in the game threads if I'm watching the game. However, since last week I've been taking finals and therefore can only take time to watch the second half (I follow first half on gametracker or something). So I also signed into the game thread b/c there's only so much gametracker can tell you.

For example, McGahee runs for a 57 yard TD. That really sux. I want to know if someone missed a tackle or messed up an assignment. The game thread is where that should be answered. But instead it gets lost amoung 50 posts that say "TD McGahee."

Ok, so there is my long-winded analysis of the game thread. I'm just curious if anyone else shares this thought or everyone loves it the way it is.

GP

2. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Living in orlando, and not having money to go the bars everyweekend, i rely heavily on gamethreads and the audio feed. I find that the threads help me out too. Obviously they are gonna get crowded, the threads usually have 50+ people in them at a time. take them for what they are. Although you'll read 20 "%#@%$ pennington" posts, somewhere in there you'll see "Chad overthrows baker by 3 yards."

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

My view of the game threads is 180 degrees different from yours. I think of them as the virtual equivalent of sitting around my living room watching the game with a bunch of friends (and maybe also that guy no one really likes but somehow managed to get invited to these things). In that context, a lot of people saying "Wow, great run" is perfectly appropriate, and when 20 people say "TOUCHDOWN JETS!!! :beer:" it's like everyone standing up and high fiving each other. I also see plenty of the "meaningful" posts in there that you refer to. I make a point of continually refreshing my browser so I can see the posts I would miss, and I reply to them if I care to.

I highly doubt that ANYONE posts in the game thread to increase their post count, and I think that other than for a big TD no one much cares if they're first in. I could be wrong, but that's the way I see it.

4. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

I don't really understand those types of posts either. But you have to look at it this way: Game threads are very emotional and people express these emotions in a variety ways - posts like "TOUCHDOWN COTCHERY" is one way to do this.

Another emotional type of post that people don't like is calling the team a bunch of losers when things are going bad. Again, it's probably not the best thing to do in a game thread, but it is clearly an emotional response indicative of what the game threads are all about.

5. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

I rarely post in the threads btw, just enjoy reading them. Theres no need to change them IMO.

6. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Nail on the head, man. That is exactly how it is for most folks that post in it. And those of us that don't get the game, we can at least get an idea what is going on rather than just eyeing the stats updating online.

7. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

I totally agree. This is actually why I love the game threads. No bar in the world allows you to talk and scream and bitch about the game with 50 other Jet fans while it is in action.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If you can't watch the game or get a feed online, then reading the game threads is a great way to get a idea as to what is going on. Especially if you couple that with the game coverage from say, cbssportsline.com.

Again, folks do get emotional on gameday around here. Especially if the Jets turn in a stinker.

9. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

And one other thing, even if posts didnt count, they'd be just as crowded and full of "LEON BOOM-BOOM WASHINGTON"

10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I've said the same thing a few times.
    Some people feel it is for the guys who can't watch the games and need play by play.

Me personally, I only read the relevant stuff/ opinions.