QB's In The Draft...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by mezzavo, Apr 2, 2016.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

So I'm sitting here and wondering...IF we do nothing in the draft...no trades, no movement...no nothing....

Can we find a QB at 20 that's worth spending that pick or maybe in the 2nd? Personally I think Paxton or Hackenberg could do the job. Thoughts...

Leave this thread about QB's please...there are enough about what other player(s) we'd pick at 20. Let the debate rage!!!

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'm definitely starting to warm to the idea of Lynch at 20. I'm happy to hear they are gathering as much info as possible on him.

I could live with taking a chance on Hack in 4th or later.

boozer32 likes this.
  3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I'll cry if we waste a first or second round pick on a shit tier QB.

4. mezzavo

Are you thinking more of a 3 on a Hackenberg? I think 3 is too low for Paxton....

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Maybe trade down a bit and take Lynch late 1st? We'd get back to 7 picks that way and we'd likely get an early 3rd or better for the trade down.

6. 74

74 Well-Known Member

The only QB worthy of a first round pick in this draft is Goff.

7. mezzavo

So I went and did some digging on a site run by scouts (insider stuff is good to have). Most scouts have Paxton Lynch as the top guy. He took what would have been a 2 win Memphis team to 10 wins. More food for discussion.

8. Br4d

Wentz has the Roethlisberger/Flacco thing going on. He's very big and very strong-armed and he's mobile.

Goff's season last year actually looks a lot like Geno's in his senior year. Boiling out of the gate and then hitting a wall midway and recovering a bit towards the end. Same thing happened in 2014. The Golden Bears started very strong and then collapsed after they got into the conference part of the schedule.

TNJet likes this.
  9. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Cook's draft stock seems to be very low. So if he was there in the 3rd round I wouldnt mind him. Drafting Hackenberg would make question Mac. I never saw anything good out of that kid when I watched him play.

IMO Lynch, Goff and Wentz will all be gone by 20.

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If Wentz compares to Roethlisberger/Flacco, who do you think Goff compares to? If it's Geno, that's not a good look. I haven't seen a whole lot of Goff but I from the games of watched I will say his footwork in the pocket does remind me a lot of Peyton Manning. I prefer a little bit more athleticism but from my QBs but if you are going to be limited athletically Manning is probably one of the best QBs to have your footwork compared to.

11. Br4d

The Peyton Manning Era is coming to a close. The QB's best representing it were Peyton, Brady and then later on Philip Rivers and Matt Ryan. They were decent sized pocket passers who weren't mobile but had good footwork and a quick release.

We're in the Cam Newton Era now. The era was really kicked off by Ben Roethlisberger along about 2007 when teams began to realize how hard it was to control a big pocket passer with a bit of mobility who was hard to bring down because of his size and willingness to take hits. Joe Flacco, Cam Newton and now Blake Bortles are in that mode, with Flacco a bit of an outlier who fits the profile except that he isn't hard to manage in the open field the way Roethlisberger, Newton and Bortles are.

Realistically teams are likely to value both Wentz and Goff in about the same range in the middle of the round. One of them will go up higher because that's how things work when you have desperate teams looking for QB's who have high picks. Maybe both of them will go in the top 10. The last time this dilemma presented itself the guy who was picked up high was the guy on the Roethlisberger/Newton spectrum, Blake Bortles. Size, some mobility and a strong arm is what the team that made the plunge finally settled on. I'm guessing we'll have the same deal here and Wentz will go up top somewhere and then Goff in the middle of the round and then Lynch in the 20's. It's just a guess though.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

You're saying the era of the pure pocket passer is over? What a load of bull. The best QB in this draft is a pure pocket passer.

13. Br4d

Let's see what the NFL thinks on draft day. Right now the consensus is that Wentz and Goff are the most valued QB's in the 2016 draft. It'll be interesting to see where that shakes out. In 2014 Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater essentially swapped draft positions between the Combine and draft day.

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what the NFL thinks on draft day cuz they're dead wrong most of the time. In 2010 Tim Tebow was a first round pick. In 2011 The NFL thought Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert were top ten picks. In 2012 Ryan Tannehill and Brandon Weeden were first round picks. In 2013 the only QB picked in the first was EJ Manuel. In 2014 Blake Bortles was the 3rd overall, the next QB picked after him in the first was Johnny Manziel. Last year Jameis Winston was 2nd overall. (I know many people still believe in Bortles and Winston but I do not, they're just being given the longest leashes possible becuz of the top 3 investment). In 2016 we have Wentz and possibly Lynch as our ordained first rounders.

Do you see a pattern here? The QB selections in the first round are mostly terrible! The NFL follows the media hype, built up by months of people who don't really know shit or spend time scouting without bias, they just know the big name guys and continue to push them. There's two types of media hyped guys - ones who were propped up as first rounders early in their college career and the media desperately clings to that despite all their shortcomings. The second type is the athletic guy who comes out of nowhere because he has all the looks you want, in reality he's way overhyped but the media keeps driving him cuz he's the sexy choice.

#14 74, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

I want lynch at #20 regardless of what happens. if we sign fitz i still want lynch. if we dont sign fitz i want lynch. if we bring in hoyer or mccown i still want lynch.

lynch is a long term solution. drafting him vs. not drafting him should not be influenced by who our qb is this year. if you think lynch can play, you draft him and you dont think twice.

can lynch step in and play this year? my awnser -- who cares. lets create something sustainable

mezzavo and TNJet like this.
  16. irishwhip03

If anything pocket passers are making a quick return.

The falls of guys like RG3 and Kaepernick are proof that those type of QB's dont last in the NFL.

And unless you're a freak athlete like Newton , and built like him as well , its going to stay that way..but even if his case he wont be playing at age 30 like he's playing today.

Next year, Deshaun Watson could be a different story. But as for this year the only real "mobile" QB's are Cardale Jones and Dak Prescott , and I doubt many teams view either as a potential starter.

74 likes this.
  17. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

I'd be OK with Paxton or Cardale.

18. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

isnt this kind of cherry picking? like arent we leaving some guys out? like russell wilson and aaron rodgers and andrew luck?

i think you are confusing mobile with running/run first. guys like peyton are a dying breed. you said pocket passers are making a quick return. who are these pocket passers you speak of? only ones i see are 35+ years old

19. irishwhip03

Maybe I just go by a different definition , but mobile to mean is more than just being able to escape the pocket and pick up a few yards. In that case Fitz would be considered a mobile QB and I dont think many would consider him that.

I consider Luck and Rodgers pocket passers. And Rodgers probably has the best awareness in the league.

But he looks for the pass until the last possible second. QB's like Cam want to pick up yardage as soon as the first sign of pressure comes.

I think thats where the difference lies.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't know how accurate this is but it's an interesting and thoughtful perspective.