QB preparation.... 1 week of Carson Palmers preparation and game plan

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by alleycat9, Nov 19, 2015.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

Great article, I admit I am only part of the way through it but felt it would be something great to share here.

The NFL game has much less to do with talent than it does with preparation and the ability to adjust quickly.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/11/17/nfl-carson-palmer-arizona-cardinals-inside-game-plan

one excerpt -

For a global view of a game plan, think local. It would be impossible for a layman to pick up the entirety of an NFL game plan in a week. But if you try to learn the concepts behind one play, and why this play appeals to the Cardinals, and why they think it will work against what they project the Browns to do, and the fail-safes that are in place when invariably the foe does something Palmer didn’t expect, then you can begin to understand the complexity of what NFL teams do every week.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing. here's my take.

These coaches outsmart themselves and make it too complicated. I'm a drunk, fat guy who hasn't set foot on a football field since high school, and not an NFL coach making millions so what do I know, but it seems to me they focus on strategy way too much and not execution.

take the Jets fourth down fuck-up last Thursday against Buffalo for example. Using this article as a base, if the Jets have to learn 171 plays in a week, a corner route to Kellen Fuckin Davis has got to be about play #170 of the weekly 171 plays. Its buried on the last page of the gameplan where even the most prepared players would get sloppy (let alone accounting for the guys who are generally less prepared).

I'd slash the strategy shit in half and focus on getting the plays that you DO run, right. Run the down and out to Decker in practice over and over and over again so that when its fourth down and 3 late in the game every body on the team executes instead of reaching deep into your bag O' tricks and pulling out the kellen davis play where nobody is comfortable with what they are doing. You sacrifice a little of letting the opponent know what you are doing, but I think thats overrated. As long as you execute, it matters less if they know what you are doing.

(again, I'm a fat drunk watching on TV, but seems to me like this is true. When its third down in NE everyone on the planet knows its going to be a down and out to Edelman and they run it without giving a fuck for a 1st down.)

#2 BrowningNagle, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Gailey said that was his favorite red zone play and they practice it a lot, which is even worse

4. alleycat9

yeah it probably is worse. ive never been a big gailey fan, time will tell. I think this gives you a really good look at why so many guys who succeed in college cant handle the pro game. the prep work is just amazing and the ability to see and process things in milliseconds is as important if not more important than having a great arm.

5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Just imagine us with Carson Palmer

alleycat9 likes this.
  6. Big Cat

And this is why Thursday night games are a stupid idea. Palmer says that he thinks "Shit, I'm screwed" every Wednesday night but by Saturday he feels prepared. Except let's just throw him out there while he's still got that "I'm screwed" mentality. And we wonder why every TNF game is sloppy as shit.

alleycat9 likes this.
  7. alleycat9

they really are, I can see no reason to put them on Thursday other than the owners simple greed. its really a damn shame especially since nobody watches those games anyway.

8. Big Cat

Especially this new thing where every TNF game is a divisional game. Division games are supposed to be strategic, well thought out, important games with implications down the road, not an unprepared pillow fight with the less unprepared team winning.

alleycat9 likes this.
  9. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

I watch all of them. I apologize - I am a greedy Pro football fan.

alleycat9 likes this.
  10. alleycat9

your a good man pocket jet. I am that way with high school and college games. ill even go watch jv games if I realize there is one being played.

Pocket Jet likes this.
  11. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

completely understand... if you really enjoy a sport, there is no reason not to absorb as much of it as you can.

alleycat9 likes this.
  12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

It doesn't have to be.

NFL didn't quite think through - which is sad, but TNF doesn't have to suck.

My take is this:

Monday Night Football -> Bye week -> Thursday Night Football

If this gets coordinated in this manner, players will have long week to prepare for MNF AND TNF, AND get proper rest after all the games.

Big Cat and alleycat9 like this.
  13. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Good post

They did it again this week. On first of the two late interceptions, the pass (even though poorly thrown) is intended for DEVIN SMITH? Probably our worst, least reliable receiver on the field at that time?