Qb needs help dummies

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Jun 16, 2017.

1. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

i am still hoping hackenberg is a good qb. I have not given up unlike the stupid media. My concern is regardless of who the qb is the weapons are Quincy Anderson Peake rookies and that drunk tight end from last year. With a offensive line that resembles USFL talent how in the world will any of these qb' s succeeed? And our dee is more talented then last year but the offense is gonna kill them with three and outs. You are suppose to build from the inside out. We did that on defense but not on offense. We won't be able to run or pass unless the line surprises. I don't have much faith to be honest

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  2. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Good thing rebuilds take more than half an offseason.

Feels like people want us to continue this "competitive rebuild" bullshit that has infamously not worked for us. Let alone how ignorant this post comes off as, anyone who want/expects us to hit he playoffs this year is a lost cause.

Pags2112, TonyFtLaud and K'OB like this.
  3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I'm sure our o-line being awful at the end of the year had nothing to do with it being devastated by injuries.

Burnz and Jets69 like this.
  4. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Honestly I might be one of the few that thinks our O-Line is going to exceed expectations. All of our offense has something to prove and earn which i think is going to help;;; Having unknowns isn't always a bad thing

#4 Burnz, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Pags2112 likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

So you are worried about our receiver corp's probably the one area of our offence that actually shows promise.

That drunk tight end is battling an illness and supposedly showing signs of turning it around, he is a quality talent if he continues his battle over alcoholism, plenty of stars fall foul of drink related issues at least he is trying.

Pags2112, NOVAJET and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

When they cut Marshall and then Decker, I had flashbacks to Geno's rookie season. I hope Q is a beast this year, because if he regresses, then we will be asking the same questions we had when Geno was throwing to CFL benchwarmers.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If you still have hope in Hack, why so little faith in either our young WRs or in our CS/FO? The one position area that has been very good during Bowles term as HC, has been the WRs. Karl Dorrell has done a fabulous job developing our young WRs. It's pretty obvious that Woody ordered Mac to release both Harris and Decker. That's where most of my hopes get dashed. We have an idiot for an owner.

ASJ (that drunk TE as you called him) has turned his life around. Maybe you've read some of the articles and maybe you haven't. If you have and still doubt, I understand. Talk is cheap. But he's walking the walk. By all reports, he's been one of the top 2-3 players on the field for the Jets during OTAs and mini-camp. He's been making highlight reel catches. He not only worked hard emotionally/psychologically during the offseason, but also physically. He's in great shape and lost weight. He's always been an athletic, extremely talented player with a ton of potential. I've known a few recovering alcoholics in my life, and he sounds just like those of them who were changed people and never took another drink. I'm really rooting for him for his own sake, but also for the team's.

I also think our OL will perform better than you do, but even if not, most of us knew that the rebuild was going to take several more drafts, not just one more. Unless Hack or Petty proves to be that guy this season, we still need a FQB. We still need a stud pass rusher. Since Claiborne is probably just a one-year rental, we need a #1 CB. We need probably one and maybe 2 ILBs. We need a #1 WR, a topnotch RB, and upgrades all long the OL and the depth of the roster. It is improving, and imo, a lot better than it was 2-3 years ago. Idzik truly left the cupboard bare. The team has gotten younger, faster, and hopefully hungrier. Hopefully, it has better character players, who love the game and who have a burning desire to excel. I truly believe that we have some excellent young leaders emerging in Williams and Adams on D, and maybe Maye as well.

As we know offense has been neglected for many years in the draft and FA. Powell may be a leader on offense, and I think McCown will be. Yes, we need to draft some young studs on offense who are or will become great leaders.

Most of us don't expect many wins this season. What we do expect is to see the young players get opportunities to play and to see them develop. We expect the team to play hard, smart, tough football, and be in every, or most every, game until the final whistle. We expect the team to play as a team. We expect Bowles to hold players accountable and for the players to hold each other accountable. We expect to see growth and improvement from Bowles and the team.

I don't have a lot of faith in Bowles, but I do in Morton, Greene, Dorrell, Bates and a few other of the Jets CS.

8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I am really hopeful that out right side will become a strength for us. Winters gets better every year and Shell looks poised to breakout. Biggest question is the LT position. I am not sold on Beachum and believe hes more of a band aid until we draft somebody.

9. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Was Morton not the saints WR coach the last couple years when unknown talented receivers broke out. Snead in 2015 and Thomas 2016.
    From the NO Advocate

"Under his guidance, New Orleans has put together one of the better wide receiver trios in the NFL, with Brandin Cooks, Willie Snead and Michael Thomas sitting atop the depth chart. His players routinely talked about the job he did teaching and preparing them each week."

I'm not overly worried about our WR core.

themorey and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

The year of 2017 will be all about youth development along with evaluation for the near future.

And if Hackenberg flashes and shows signs of a potential Franchise QB, combined with the boat load of salary cap that we'll have come the offseason; 2018's offseason can then become an opportunity to improve, rebuild and rejuvenate our offense (for the first time in quite some time).

There are lots of up coming UFA's who could potentially hit the open market come the offseason (surrounding the QB position).

Le'Veon Bell. (HB)
    Devonta Freeman. (HB).
    Carlos Hyde. (HB).
    Dion Lewis. (HB).

DeAndre Hopkins. (WR).
    Sammy Watkins. (WR).
    Allen Robinson. (WR).
    Alshon Jeffrey. (WR).
    Jarvis Landry. (WR).
    Martavis Bryant. (WR).
    Terrelle Pryor. (WR).
    Jordan Matthews (WR).

Jimmy Graham. (TE).
    Tyler Eifert. (TE).

Just to name a few (skilled player positions).

Not only will we have enough cap space and free salary to spash on 2-3 of these players mentioned above but we could also be in position to strike during the 1st Round of 2018's draft on a prospect such as:

Saquon Barkley. RB. Penn State.
    Derrius Guice. RB. LSU.
    Mike McGlinchey. Left Tackle. Notre Dame.
    Connor Williams. Left Tackle. Texas.
    Christian Kirk. WR. Texas A&M.
    Courtland Sutton. WR. SMU.

If Hackenberg is able to impress come 2017 then my (early) bet is that NYJ's walk away with one of those 6 players come the 1st Round of 2018's NFL draft.

2017 will be about player development and evaluation for the near future, but 2018's offseason will become the time to Re-Vamp our offense moving forward through both the draft and free agency.

And if all else fails, and Hackenberg doesn't flash as a potential FQB hopeful? N.Y will then be on the market for an offseason QB come 2018's offseason) through either free agency or the 1st round).

Kirk Cousins.
    Derek Carr.
    Matthew Stafford.
    Jimmy Garoppolo.
    Teddy Bridgewater.
    Sam Darnold (USC).
    Josh Rosen (UCLA).
    Josh Allen (Wyoming).
    Mason Rudolph (Oklahoma State).
    Luke Falk (Washington State).

I do agree that our entire offense needs help as a whole. Especially with regards to surrounding the QB position with real deal talent.

This past offseason our front office focused more on our defense, which is why 2018, imo, will become the offseason in which Maccagnan looks to attack, revamp and rebuild our offense (through both the draft and free agency).

2017's season will simply be all about player evaluation for the near future in regards to our offense. Nothing more/nothing less. Expecting anything else would be to expect too much on offense.

It's going to be a process on offense, and as a longtime fan; it's a process in which I'll be ready for.

#10 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

if they have 3 tes who can catch, then they can run a two te offense, which means a heavy dose of rbs and short wc throws to backs that flare out or tes,
    as for a qb in next year's draft, just anybody BUT another usc qb. name me the last one since tom flores that actually won anything, like a sb, in the nfl!

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

That's a very flawed way to judge drafting a QB.

Who's the last UCLA or Wyoming QB to ever win an NFL SB? My guess would be Troy Aikman (UCLA).

By that method i guess the Jets should not draft any of the big 3 QB's from USC, UCLA or Wyoming... all because of "past failures".

If that were the case then the Raiders would have never drafted OLB Khalil Mack out of Buffalo or QB Derek Carr out of Fresno State because lets be honest here, how many All-Time NFL greats have came from Buffalo and Fresno State?

Should the Seattle Seahawks have passed on Russell Wilson from NC State all because N.C State has not produced the most SB winning QB's?

FSU is my school. Should the TB Bucs have passed on Winston as their current Franchise QB from FSU's program, all because of players like Danny Kanell, Chris Weinke, Christian Ponder and EJ Manuel who've came before Winston himself?

Even the college programs who've produced multiple SB winning QB's, have also produced more NFL busts than not at the QB position.

Please. Name me a big time college football program in which has not produced at least 5 NFL QB busts throughout the history of the game...

Notre Dame produced Joe Montana. But then again Notre Dame has also produced the likes of bums such as Blair Kiel, Rick Mirer, Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen.

Which NCAA football program should we look to draft a QB from then? Because i bet i can name more busts from that school than i could NFL SB winners..

#12 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

+ 1000

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

i'm so tired of ppl calling alcoholism an illness

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I am sorry to be so blunt but fuck off and come back when you have two things, knowledge and compassion.

Oh and before you ask, it is 8 years since I last had a drink.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the nfl doesn't kick the ncaa a few hundred million a year for them to run more pro style offenses. Seems like 90+% of college head coaches run the simplest offense they can put out on the field (spread offense, no play calls, no huddles, etc. Just hike the ball and toss it to whoever gets open). I don't know if this is because student athletes just don't have the hours in a day to pick up a complex O, or what.

17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Jets OL will be much more cohesive and improved in 2017...that is no bullshit. Also, wr is one of this teams strengths with Q, Robby "Snoop" Anderson and Charone Peake. I'm finally excited about the Jets TE position with ASJ and Jordan Leggett getting plays dialed up for them in Morton's WCO. RELAX. It will be a much better year...might win 7 times. That is 7 weekends of smiles. Lol

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Football for Dummies
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Most of those FAs will never hit the market but the one who is most likely to become a FA is Devonta and I would love to see the Jets sign him.

20. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I don't believe we drafted one offensive lineman this year. Who said anything about the playoffs or competitive rebuild? Did you read my post? I am all for it doing right but to me I start with the ol