Proves the point I've said for years.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Give me proven players over draft picks...
    EOS.

*Cypress Hill shoulda been there...

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It takes a mix
    And they’re on tour with slipknot at the moment.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and Royal Tee like this.
  3. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

In the words of Jerry Glanville, NFL stands for Not For Long. When the window is open, you have to make the most of it. While it came with some character risks (some that admittedly down the road blew up in their faces), Tannenbaum's aggressiveness in the trade market was a big reason they made it to back-to-back AFC title games.

4. Royal Tee

When the retort involves Tanny....pow.

5. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

It is always situational with the best moves for the roster, the Rams 2 best players were drafted by them. Jalen Ramsey was also a liability today for the Rams, the Stafford trade was a clear win for the Rams. Overall, the Rams had a roster that rounded out well between draft picks, traded players, and FA signings.... it always helps when you hit on all 3 of those.

6. Royal Tee

ftr, I think draft picks are imperative to a championship and I believe in a core foundation. I made this more for the people who constantly cry about having 10,000 draft picks and cry about the salary cap. It's all about balance but some seem to think having 50 draft picks and being 50 million under the cap is the win.

7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

"According to Elias Sports Bureau research, Kupp is the second player all-time with four-plus receptions on a go-ahead drive in the fourth quarter or later of a Super Bowl, joining Pittsburgh's Santonio Holmes in Super Bowl XLIII."

Kupp was later traded to the Jets, at which point he again defied expectations by turning into an insufferable dick.

NY Jets68 and Royal Tee like this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree proven players over draft picks. But it's risky to trade for them because they might be system fits and not fit the Jets system. Now Cypress Hill should not have been anywhere near the SB halftime show as they stink. Run-DMC and Grand Master Flash who started the whole rap game should have been there.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Rams roster is loaded with their own draft picks though.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I hope this is prophetic :D

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The other thing is that the entire process from the year they traded up for Goff to this win has been very shaky. They did get the win and we should commend them for that but there were several points, including Goff's blowout where the whole process could have derailed.

We also have no idea what the ultimate cost for them will be in a couple of years when the impact of having no 1sts over a 6 or 7 year period will begin to show up.

However they got the win. Many teams would have been less lucky given the strategy.

12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The two MVP’s of that game were Aaron Donald and Cooper Kupp… both drafted players. Without the core of drafted guys I don’t think it’s feasible, you need to have the foundational players.

Rams Offense:

QB: M. Stafford, Trade
    RB: C. Akers, 2nd
    RB: D. Henderson, 3rd
    WR: C. Kupp, 3rd
    WR: O. Beckham, FA
    WR: V. Jefferson, 2nd
    TE: K. Blanton, UDFA
    LT: A. Whitworth, FA
    LG: D. Edwards, 5th
    C: B. Allen, 4th
    RG: A. Corbett, Trade
    RT: R. Havenstein, 2nd

Rams Defense:

OLB: L. Floyd, FA
    IDL: A. Donald, 1st
    NT: G. Gaines, 4th
    IDL: A. Robinson, FA
    OLB: V. Miller, Trade
    LB: E. Jones, 3rd
    CB: J. Ramsey, Trade
    S: T. Rapp, 2nd
    S: E. Weddle, FA
    S: T. Burgess, 3rd
    CB: D. Williams, Waiver Claim
    NK: D. Deayon, FA

There are 3 big time trades, but they’re largely made up of drafted players. Also, what if Von Miller, Aaron Donald, and Andrew Whitworth retire after this season?

You’d have to replace a LT and 2 elite pass rushers with no 1st round picks for the next 2 years, and no 2nd this year.

Im not saying they would be devastated but they’d probably have at least 1 regression year if not 2 or 3.

13. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'd say the chances are pretty high the Rams will regress next season and not make it back to the Super Bowl.

But at the same time I don't think you can knock any strategy that results in a SB ring too much. Those are so hard to actually get and some teams can go decades without even sniffing one.

PJ4Ever, b.reyes16, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  14. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

How often do elite level talents become available midseason at positions of immediate need? Do they even sign OBJ if the Lions hadn't put in a roster claim for Josh Reynolds?

Also, a guy that hadn't played in two years stepped in and immediately plugged a massive hole. They literally had no one else.

An awful lot of things broke their way this year to make this strategy work.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think there’s a good chance Whitworth retires although they have Noteboom who was fine when Whitworth got hurt. I doubt Von and Donald retire with the opportunity to run it back although their clocks are ticking.

It’ll be interesting to see how much longer Stafford plays as well. He has taken an absolute beating in his career and played through most of it and now has a chronic back injury. He’ll definitely come back to defend the title but I’m not sure how much longer he’s going to play especially since a lot of folks believe he’s now a HOFer (debatable for me).

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who wouldn't give two shits about what happens the year after we won a Super Bowl?

17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I just want to see 1 in my lifetime. Whoever brings the Lombardi home to 1JD is a legend forever in my book.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  18. MaximusD163

I don’t think Stafford is a HoF guy personally but he has enough time to get there. Donald probably won’t retire, and Miller I suppose not. Whitworth most likely will though. 40 years old, SB win, Man of the Year is a bad ass way to walk out.

I think something people don’t realize about the Rams situation is that they created a culture and proved themselves before bringing in all of these players via trade. In McVay’s first 2 seasons, he boasted 24-8 record, 2 Playoff births, and a Super Bowl appearance. It wasn’t until part way through his 3rd season they started making these trades. Drafted players like Aaron Donald and Cooper Kupp still set the tone for everyone.

You can’t be a 4-13 group and expect moves like that to work the same way. The Jets should probably use most of their picks this year, and if there is major improvement in success in 2022 they can start to consider these big time moves.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Whitworth announced last night on his radio postgame show that he was retiring FWIW.

20. MaximusD163

I’m only 31 and I want to raise my sons on years of good Jets football, but I understand others who feel differently

NCJetsfan likes this.