Pro Bowl

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Cidusii, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Surprisingly fun to watch this year. Anyone else watching?

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I'm watching. It's actually much better than I anticipated. I can't believe they made the over/under of this game 90 points lol

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

yea it's almost like real football. not nearly as horrible as usual.

4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Given previous years, that's kind of low.

Defenses are playing tough. Love watching the QBs get popped.

5. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

The over/under opened at 93 actually and was bet down

Revis says he's looking forward to the matchup with Sherman and he's rooting for Denver

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

That might be the best pro bowl I've ever seen. It actually seemed like a real game, the defense was actually a factor. Jerry Rice going for 2 to seal it did kinda make it revert back to joke status, though. Although, you'd think in a pro bowl they'd go for 2 every time because of the level of players on offense. I guess it's not that bad of a call, but no NFL head coach will do that in a similar situation without getting fired if it fails. Rivers getting picked 2 times was pretty funny too.

#6 Barcs, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  7. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Didn't watch it because I thought it would be a joke, now seems like it was worth watching. Damn.

8. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

yeh im bummed about that one too haha

9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i watched it on and off. was good when i was watching it.

i didnt like the rice vs deion team names, they could have at least given them names.

10. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

+1. My brother watched it and called me this am and said it was very entertaining.

Dang.

_

11. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Not a bad game... Some pretty big hits thats for sure.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

did Mangold get the MVP?

13. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

coaches have done it in the past, but those were all times when the games didn't mean as much to that team, IIRC.

A coach did it a few years ago.

14. nyjunc

I think Hou did it week 17 vs. ten in 2011. Had we beat Miami I think we needed Hou to win, they went for 2 and failed losing by a point. it was a good thing we lost to Miami b/c that would have been a tough way to miss the playoffs.

15. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yep, exactly. It only happens during garbage time near the end of a season when teams have nothing to lose. If teams have anything at all on the line, they play it safe. Come to think of it, didn't Mangini do something like that in one of his last games? I don't think it was the same, but it was something really stupid. Or maybe he went for a 4th and 10 on his side of the field? I remember the announcer mentioning that coaches get fired over calls like that.

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

For some reason in my memory they missed the extra point. That might just be my memory from the alternate universe. It does prove my point, though. Houston had already sealed their playoff spot with 10 wins and didn't need to win, so they went for the crazy play, rather than the safe one.

#16 Barcs, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  17. nyjunc

I am pretty sure they went for 2, I could be wrong though.

18. Barcs

Barcs Banned

You're right. I updated my post short after.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I watched the second half after seeing some posts here..
    It was definitely only Pro Bowl in awhile worth watching. Some of the rule changes were very beneficial. Dline allowed to stunt, clock doesn't run if O doesn't gain a yd (so can't take knee or play it safe to kill time).
    Not sure how i felt about having a team Rice and Sanders, but was interesting at least to have mixed it up.

20. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

yeah Houston/Tennessee was the most recent one, although not the one I remember.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-01-01/titans-texans/52320638/1

The Tennessee Titans' regular-season finale came down to a two-point conversion.

The Texans botched it, and the Titans stayed alive in the playoff hunt — at least for a few more hours.

Matt Hasselbeck threw two touchdown passes, and Tennessee staved off Houston's last-minute rally in a 23-22 victory Sunday.

Tennessee (9-7) earned its first winning record since 2008 in Mike Munchak's first season, but its postseason fate depended on the outcome of later games in Cincinnati, Oakland and Denver.

The Titans got some early help when the New York Jets lost in Miami, but then had to sweat out the final two minutes when Ahmard Hall fumbled, and Jake Delhomme drove Houston for a touchdown with 14 seconds left.

The Texans (10-6) were locked into the No. 3 seed in the AFC playoffs before the game began.

With their position secured and nothing to lose but more players to injury, coach Gary Kubiak called for a two-point conversion to avoid overtime and win the game in regulation.

"You would never go for 2 there in any other situation," Kubiak said. "But where we were physically, at the end of the game, I had a tight end (Garrett Graham) playing linebacker. Our team, I had to get them to next week."

But tight end Joel Dreessen was flagged for illegal motion, and then backup center Thomas Austin flipped the snap over Delhomme's head and the game was over.

Kubiak and Munchak shared a chuckle at midfield after the game.

"I think if they were shooting for the playoffs, they probably kick the extra point and go to overtime," Munchak said.

Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan took offense to Kubiak's decision.

"I think they wanted to show that no matter who they put on the field, they want to embarrass us and beat us," Finnegan said. "And we ended up winning."

The victory might turn out to mean nothing.