Preferred Draft Picks By Pick Order

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ColoradoContrails, Apr 22, 2020.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

My Draft Preferences By Round

Here are the players I prefer to take by pick, and who I think will be available. I’m doing this by pick as opposed to Round because they may trade for example and get another 1st round (or other round) pick.

First Pick

OT – Probably available: Becton, Thomas. Preference: Becton, but would consider Thomas.

WR – P.A.: Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs. Preference: Lamb or Jeudy, but would consider Ruggs.

I want an OT here because they’re almost impossible to get in FA or trades. Even if they have to start at RT, or even spot start the first year, if they can develop into a 10-15 year anchor, that’s what is needed. Like a FQB, you keep looking for one until you find him.

If all the top 4 OTs are gone by 11, I would seriously consider trading backa few spots to get another premium pick. But if no one offers that then I take Lamb or Jeudy, and the difference would be based on who Douglas thinks is the best fit for Darnold and the scheme. For instance, does Sam have the arm strength to take advantage of someone who can fly down the field? If not, then speed is less important than route running and other means of gaining separation. Also, who offers the biggest catch area? Ruggs might slip in here based on these criteria.

Second Pick

If I didn’t take an OT, then this has to be where I try to get one if one of the “second tier guys” is available. This will be heavily influenced by whether we were able to trade back a few spots.

OT – P.A. – Jones, Jackson. Preference – Toss up – again will defer to Douglas on who he thinks is a better fit.

If I didn’t take a WR with the first pick, then I’m looking for one here:

WR – P.A. – Ruggs?, Higgins, Jefferson, Claypool. Preference – Ruggs if there; Higgins or Claypool

Claypool might be considered a reach, but he has a great combination of size and speed and YAC ability and he might not last until their current 2nd round pick, whereas someone like Pittman, Mims, Shennault might be there with their first 3rd rounder and I’ll take that chance.

Third Pick

Assuming I’ve filled my OT and WR spots, I’m hoping to find a pass rusher, or if one isn’t worth this pick, then OL. Most rankings of CBs I’ve seen past Okudah and Henderson indicate many will be available in later rounds.

Edge – P.A. – Baun?, Greenard, Preference Baun, but if he’s gone, then Greenard.

OL – P.A. – I. Wilson, C. Ruiz, Cleveland, Cushenberry. Preference: If I didn’t take an Edge, I’ll go with Wilson or Ruiz here because I don’t think either will last to the 3rd round.

Fourth Pick

At this point I’m going to look for the BPA within Edge, CB, WR, and OL. I’ll group the ones I think will be available in a pool:

P.A. – Edge: Epenesa, Greenard; CB: Dantzler, Igbinoghene, A. Robertson; WR/TE: Pittman, Mims, Shenault, Reagor; OL: Cushenberry?, Bliadsz?, Kindley, Prince Tega

Preference: If I haven’t gotten a pass rusher, Epenesa or Greenard; if I’ve already gotten two WRs, I’d take one of the CBs; if I haven’t gotten my second WR, then Pittman; if none of those, then I’ll take the BPA/Best Fit OL.

Fifth Pick

Again, at this point I’m looking for BPA within my remaining needs. I For the sake of simplicity I’ll assume I’ve filled OL, WR, Edge, RB/Gimmick, QB

P.A. – CB: A. Robertson, Victor; Edge: Willekes, Robinson; RB/Gimmick: Dillon, M. Warren II, A. Gibson; QB: A. Gordon, Morgan, Lewerke

Preference: Anthony Gordon who I think is a “poor man’s Patrick Mahomes”, and can be a good backup or if godforbid Sam falters, take over.

Sixth Pick

Now I’m looking for player who can bring something unique that may have been overlooked, or maybe a QB if I didn’t take one yet.

P.A. –CB: Victor; Edge: Robinson; RB/Gimmick: A. Gordon, L. Bowden; QB: Gordon, Morgan.

Preference: Antonio Gibson who can be used as a RB or WR, and has a great combination of size, speed, power and TAC ability.

Seventh Pick

P.A. – CB: Victor; RB/Gimmick: Bowden; QB: Morgan; Kicker/PK: Mann, Blankenship

Preference: Victor

Eighth Pick

At this point I’m looking for a Kicker or PK and go with Braden Mann who led the nation in punting.

Summary:

I realize this presents a lot of variables, but that's what a draft is, and I don't have a 200 player Draft Board, so this was my attempt to provide for the variability/dynamics of the draft. Anyone wants to try something similar, have at it, or just comment on my selections

K'OB likes this.