PREASEASON 2007: NY Jets vs NY Giants PREVIEW 8/25 8pm

Discussion in 'Game Threads' started by PMCRW, Aug 24, 2007.

1. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

New York Giants vs New York Jets

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -There might be a couple of good hits and a little trash talking when the Jets and Giants meet up for the mini braggin' rights of the New York City metropolitan area.

Coaches Tom Coughlin of the Giants and Eric Mangini of the Jets may spice up Saturday night's game at Giants Stadium with a trick play, but don't expect much more.

The matchup that matters will be the regular-season game on Oct. 7, when both teams will use a game plan with all the frills.

"You're not going to put all the cards on the table," Mangini said ahead of the 39th preseason meeting between the teams that are working on a joint venture to build a new $1.3 billion stadium at the Meadowlands.

It will serve as a scouting tool for the teams, who are both 1-1 in the preseason.

"Nobody is going to throw all their bullets in this game," Giants Pro Bowl linebacker Antonio Pierce said. "We play each other in the regular season and that one counts for the playoffs."

Some things won't change with the regular season about two weeks away. Both teams are expected to play their starters into the second half.

The Giants, who are still waiting for Pro Bowl defensive end Michael Strahan to make a decision on retiring or playing, are looking to build off their impressive performance on Sunday night in a 13-12 win in Baltimore. The Jets will try to bounce back from a dreadful effort in a 37-20 loss at home to Minnesota.

"You'd like to go in there and be sharp and play a good game," Giants quarterback Eli Manning said. "It's always a good game between the teams, a lively stadium, a lot of people show up. Hopefully, we'll get a couple of good drives and get some points on the board."

In the wake of his highly publicized "leadership" controversy with former teammate-turned-football-analyst Tiki Barber, this might be a good week for Manning to have another good game. He played well in Baltimore, hitting 10-of-13 passes for 114 yards and a touchdown.

Pro Bowl tight end Jeremy Shockey may not play because of a sore hamstring. Receiver Plaxico Burress may see his first action of the preseason after missing a couple of weeks with a sprained ankle.

Coughlin's defense also made strides last week after a horrible effort in the preseason opener against Carolina. The one change this week will have Corey Webster replacing Sam Madison (hamstring) at right cornerback.

Mangini made the Jets really work this past week after the embarrassing effort against the Vikings, who returned two interceptions for touchdowns against Chad Pennington.

"I think the challenge is with us, with us going out and executing and not beating ourselves," said Jets receiver Laveranues Coles.

Giants halfback Brandon Jacobs isn't taking anything for granted.

"Whether they had a point to prove from last week or not, this is a Jets-Giants game. Them boys are coming to play," Giants halfback Brandon Jacobs said. "Those guys are competitive just like us. We know it will be a tough fight and we'll be ready to go."

Other players also like the matchup.

"It's always a great crowd and the fans are really excited about it," said Pennington, who missed the 2003 season after breaking a wrist in the preseason game.

Teams must cut their rosters to 75 players by Tuesday, so for some players, the game is their last attempt to impress the coaching staff.

The game is expected to mark the debut of cornerback Darrelle Revis, the Jets No. 1 draft pick and the 14th choice overall. He missed 20 days of camp because of a holdout. Revis has worked with the first-team defense because of injuries, but it is uncertain whether he will start.

The Jets will probably go with Leon Washington at halfback. Starter Thomas Jones is not expected to play until the season opener because of a calf injury.

2. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

3. Copenhagen

Copenhagen New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we school Eli last year? He had lots of time in the pocket but no open receivers throughout the game.

Afraid we might copy that performance tomorrow just without the db coverage part :(

4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I got free tickets to this game. Even if it's just a pre-season game, I can't wait to go!

5. JIMsection323

JIMsection323 New Member

i hope you got a parking permit to go with those ticks if you plan on driving in.

6. icecreamtruck

icecreamtruck Member

Jets are favored by 3. Why they even make odds for the preseason, I'll never know. (Well, I really do know... it's because some people will bet on anything, but you know what I mean.)

7. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

?

A friend of mine, his mom is a principal in a school, so that is how she got the tickets. I plan on leaving my house (from Brooklyn) at around 5:30/6:00. With construction going on, I hope we can find a spot. Do I really need this parking permit?

8. zonebuster413

zonebuster413 Member

What the hell? My deish network schedule guide shows that NBC will be broadcasting Philly vs Pittsburgh. CBS is showing Big Brother and Fox is showing Teen Choice award!!!

Is this game not going to be broadcast?

9. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

It's on the NFL network tomorrow 5pm eastern. That is the only listing I know of.

10. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Are you looking at today's schedule or tomorrows cuz the :steelers: :eaglessuck: game is @8 tomorrow night. :)

11. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Leaving at 6:30, I'm not going to get to the game on time. I have that feeling.... :sad: