Pre-Free Agency/Draft Saleh Defensive Depth Chart

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by joelip, Jan 15, 2021.

1. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Thankfully we have loads of free agency money and draft picks, but it looks like we also have a few pieces already for a Saleh 4-3?

DT Q. Williams, Fatukasi, Shepherd, T. Smart
    DE Franklin-Myers, Huff, Phillips, Zuniga, [resigned Basham?]
    LB Mosley, Cashman
    CB Hall, Austin, [resigned Poole?], Maulet, L. Jackson, Guidry, Ballentine
    S Maye, A. Davis, Farley

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Is Tanzel Smart any good? I don't recall ever seeing him in a game or hearing his name called.

REVISion likes this.
  3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

He was a depth signing at the very end of the season. I don’t think he got any playing time, or a few snaps at most.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Pretty sure your interior DLine is quite set. Q, Fatukasi, Shepard, JFM are all apart of the rotation you can use for the DT's.

The ends is where it gets interesting. Huff played at Memphis moreso as a hand in the dirt 4-3 end, then kicked inside due to his power. I think you will see him transition to a 4-3 end. Zuniga would now have his hand in the dirt as well, maybe it comes more natural to him then standing up as a 3-4 OLB. I expect Saleh would try to bring over guys like Tartt and Solomon Thomas. Cashman I simply can't rely on anymore. Dude is way too brittle, although he'd be a solid OLB with the speed he possesses. What happens to Hewitt? He's played MLB and with CJ coming back, his spot is not guaranteed. I feel like the OLB corps will see the most change over.

I think Poole won't be here, it depends on how Saleh views him and moreso Guidry, who came on as a good slot CB. This is a new regime coming in which will migrate to a 4-3/ aggressive cover 3 defense. I think Hall will shine here as well as Maye. Davis may benefit too but I'd have to see more. I expect a veteran S, CB, and at least 2-3 new LB's to come into the fold.

5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I sort of doubt Thomas would come over, but I could see Tart and Verrett. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Juszcyk sign here as well.

NCJetsfan and Mogriffjr like this.
  6. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I think we should resign Basham. Would it be incorrect to say he was our best DE?

That's not saying much, but he was productive on the field.

We need to more CB depth to make Bless our #3 or lower.

joelip, BrowningNagle and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Hopefully not all this offseason!!!

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Micah Parsons will be drafted to be weak side LB or MLB.

9. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Yes, Smart just got in for 26 snaps, according to Pro Football Focus. However, I think he has a chance to stick as our fourth DT. He comes from a smaller school (Tulane), and has some good PFF grades for his limited snaps. The Rams thought enough about him to draft him in the 6th round in 2017, and he had some good pre-draft write ups.

This is from Ourlads: 6005 296 5.23. Three-year starter from Baton Rouge, LA. Played in 48 career games. Finished his career with 40.5 tackles for loss. Two-time first-team All-AAC selection. Bowling ball frame with upper tier explosion off the snap. Combine that with his natural low center of gravity and he can be a terror off the ball. Powerful calves and feet. Gets from point A to point B in a blink. Very quick twitched, can make a difference in a phone booth. At his size, his potential impact is simply limited. Struggles to push blockers back and can be locked onto by a bigger, longer blocker. Upper body strength is average and his hand game doesn’t make much of a difference. Overmatched against double teams. Can use his low to the ground frame and initial quickness to his advantage consistently against blockers who have a hard time bending well. He may not be the most physically imposing player on the field, but he can make a difference as a rotational tackle. A hard guy to lock up at times and knows what to do when he is free within the tackle box. 2016 stats: 67 T, 18.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 2 QBH, 1 FF. Edge speed:left 2.14, right 1.90. OSR:13/16. Seventh round/PFA. (A-32 3/8, H-9 7/8, BP-22, SS-1.80)."

#9 joelip, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  10. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

11. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

I dont mind this but Bless has played well enough in spurts to warrant a shot also

12. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

\

I fully agree with most of this. My one quibble would be that I think we need JFM to come through for us as a pass rushing, strong side end. I notice that Saleh got good play at strong side end out of Kerry Hyder, although Hyder started out at DT and has DT size/speed (6-2, 290, 5.05). In contrast, Franklin-Myers has 4-3 DE size/speed (6-4, 283, 4.72) as well as excellent pass rush quickness and skills. I think Shepherd has shown enough to earn #3 DT duties.

Mogriffjr likes this.